Thread: smoking

Tom
    Tom is offline Associate Member

smoking

I smoked when i was 16 till I was 20 I am now 21 and feel the effects of the past. I was just wondering if smoking besides hurting your cardio hurts muscle gains or fat loss

Tobey is offline Retired IRON CHEF Mod

Smoking

Smoking does raise your heart rate up 3 times higher than normal and it will stay there for about 35 minutes even after you have put the cigerrete out. My ex-wife worked in the heart monitoring department at Jackson Hospital where she and a friend of hers who smoked tried an experiment where her friend was hooked up to a heart monitor while she smoked a ciggerette. Her heart rate went 3 times higher than normalI do not think that there is any evidence tha smoking physical hinders muscle gains but I am convienced that it does hinder gains mentally. Now I'm probaly wrong as there are many hazderous side effects of tabacco about the physical part, I just have never heard anything stating that tabbacco hindered muscle gains.
    IC

partyboynyc is offline Anabolic Member

here's what i know

just let me rant.

your cardiorespiratory system, obviously, is made up of you heart, lungs, and bloodvessels( arteries and veins).it's sole purpose it to transport the proper amount of oxygen to your muscles for full contraction as well as providing working muscles w/ proper nutrients(protein is the most important one).

smoking inhibits your VO2 MAX(your body's ability to consume and use the proper amount of oxygen you need to perform at a peak level)once your body cannot meet the demands of oxygen consumption, you're body turns to it's anaerobic glycolysis and creatine phosphate phase.these two processes only come into play once you ability to perform w/ little oxygen stops.

DECREASED OXYGEN IN YOUR BODY INHIBITS GAINS DUE TO PROPER NUTRIENT CONSUMTION BY MUSCLES AND WEAK CARDIORESPIRATOTY OUTPUT.

take it for what's it's worth.hope this helps

Billy Boy is offline Retired Moderator
    Ive smoked on and off since I was 13 and I,m 28 now I gave up for 5 years and i suffered more colds,coughs and general illness in the first year than I ever did when i smoked.It is a hard habit to kick and even now I still have the odd one

Smoking does effect your performance and does help block arteries and all that wonderful stuff !!

PBNYC you go clubbing a lot right? Tell me bro you may not smoke but indirectly you are harming your body and lungs just as much as someone who does because you breath it in all night.

If you have given up be strong and stay that way it is better for you

bex
    bex is offline Banned
    Smoking is bad full stop i have done it for 20 years and i wish i could stop.I will try again in the new year.But i was told years ago that if i smoke it will hinder my gains and i can safely say it has not i started training weighing 110 lbs and now i weigh 210 and that is natural so you tell me...

Smile

i'm not saying it will noticeably effect yout training.i smoke like a chimney and it doesn't effect me cardiorespiratory.my father has been smoking for 40 yrs and he's fucing ripped and decent size too, BUT it may inhinit your gains due to the oxygen deletion in your cardiovascular system.you will still make gains if you smoke but you inhibit your ability to make maximum gains.i've read it in a few journals because it was important for me to figure out.i'm almost to the point of quitting too.i went from 3 packs of marlboro reds a day to two packs of lights to at present moment 1- 1/2 a pack a day.i have 3 friends who saw an accupuncturist, got the nerve in their ear pricked and never smoked again.swear to god.it's definately an option to look into, but for me i was able to significantly cut down.3 packs of reds a day for 5 years is not good.

Pete235 is offline Retired Moderator
    Do you know what I got for Christmas? A carton....of cigarettes. The old man grabbed me and said "Hey...smoke up Johnny". It was a banner fuckin year at the Bender household.

Bonus points for anybody who can tell me what movie that was from.

primodonna is offline Female Member
    Originally posted by Pete235
    Do you know what I got for Christmas? A carton....of cigarettes. The old man grabbed me and said "Hey...smoke up Johnny". It was a banner fuckin year at the Bender household.

Bonus points for anybody who can tell me what movie that was from.
    Breakfast Club

"Don't mess with the bull young man..."

Pete235 is offline Retired Moderator
    Originally posted by primodonna

"Don't mess with the bull young man..."
    Except for the "young man" part, your quote was from another John Hughes movie entitled "Some Kind of Wonderful" starring Eric Stoltz, Mary Stewart Masterson and Lea Thompson. MSM's character was playing craps while Stoltz and Thompson dined in a fancy restuarant.

how did we get here?!

wow i thought i fell into so time warp and wound up back in the 80's!! LONG LIVE FRANKIE GOES TO HOLLYWOOD!!!HAHAHAHAHA

Dr. Derek is offline Member
    Iam sure some of the vet bodybuilders around this board have seen top level ametuar BB, and some pros smoking like theres no tomorrow three weeks out from a show. I once met a female pro BB (Nicole Bass) that smoked like crazy and shes a freak.

I have never tried this method, nor do I plan too, but I've been told that it supresses appetite and increase your heart rate inturn burning more calories and your not as hungrey.

So maybe cigs have thier place in our wonderful subculture, after all its about looking good not feeling good.

Peace

DD

Billy Boy is offline Retired Moderator
    I gave up for 5 years and always craved for one now and again.I don,t smoke but if I fancy one I,ll have one but I never buy them!!

Tobey is offline Retired IRON CHEF Mod

Partyboy

Originally posted by partyboynyc
    [B i have 3 friends who saw an accupuncturist, got the nerve in their ear pricked and never smoked again.swear to god.. [/B]

Partboy,
    Why don't you elaborate on this somewhat for those who do smoke. I do not smoke myself but I would be interested in hearing about this. You say that they can stick a needle in your ear to stop the cravings? What else can they do with needles? he,he,he,
    No really you know any thing more about this procedure?
    IC

well this is the info i got from my friends

there are nerves in your ear that can be stimulated to curb eating and smoking.i'm sure there are others but i have no info on it.i'm gonna get all the info from this girl i knwo and get the full details.i'm told it works amazing.i mean my one friend was a chain smoker like crazy, when in the office, got pricked in the ear, and never smoked again.she said though if you continue to smoke after the first time you just go back until it works.one girl i knew it took three times, but it worked and she hasn'r smoked in two years.i'll get all the details.this one girl i know, her friend's mother had it done to stop eating.

bufchic is offline Associate Member
    OMG!!! Duh! Do you really think smoking has any place in bb? Anyone that smokes is sick but a bb that smokes is an even bigger turn off. I can be self-righteous, I smoked for 6 years said I had no plans of quiting anytime soon. Then on my 21 b day right before I got serious about bb I quit, cold. I feel 100 times better, and never get sick like before. Partyboy, you seem to know your facts. Huge disappointment that you smoke.
    Its stupid, disgusting and it kills you!
    Dont do it.

Bufchic

i hate you people who quit smoking and then say, " oh it's disgusting!!",haha jk.i know it's nasty but whatever.sorry i disappointed you,haha

Thread Information