gunnery is offline Junior Member

flat bench sucks?

my problem is my flat bench wont go up,i took a few months off lifting late spring/early summer and got back into it hard but decided to work some decline bench...got back in shape and start a cycle test e/ deca just 3 weeks in but im like 10 weeks in on test and strong as an ox my lifts are crazy! and growing good! but switched back to flat bench and i cant get stronger in flat bench...it felt weird going from decline to flat, my workout for chest is 15x135/ 12x225 /8x245 and i can barely get 3x265??? i was benching 3x305 last yr after cycle...after flat i do 8x80 incline db press 3 sets then 8/10/12x40lb incline db flys then i do all my tri work ...why cant my flat bench go up??? i been stuck here for the whole cycle and have tried different aproaches....wth???

forgot to add i have been going up in weight on my incline db presses and adding weight weeklyu but flat bench im a pvssy for some reason my strength is going outa site???

Brick is offline Member
    Maybe your form is sub par? Check out the lifting section to make sure you are doing it perfect.

Also, is your back weaker this go around? Without a strong back your flat bench will suffer

im pretty good on form and back is strong as shit along with tris ...ive changed form around a little aswell as hand position and it doesnt matter ,eveneven doing lighter sets to cgange things up...my strentgh is going up on db press and flys (incline) i was wondering if i switched back to decline if it would kickthings in idk...

Brick is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnery
    im pretty good on form and back is strong as shit along with tris ...ive changed form around a little aswell as hand position and it doesnt matter ,eveneven doing lighter sets to cgange things up...my strentgh is going up on db press and flys (incline) i was wondering if i switched back to decline if it would kickthings in idk...
    You might have just plateaued even though it's less than before.

Partial reps, or my personal fav, rest pause

not sure what u mean bro

Brick is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnery
    not sure what u mean bro
    You might have stalled at this current weight even though it is less than you did before.

Do you find that certain parts are more difficult? Off chest, middle of rep, or at the top at lock out?

Partial reps would be like floor presses

Rest pause would be do as many full reps as you can and then rerack it. Wait 30 secs then do more reps

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    i don't do flat bench any more, the issue is do you want to be stronger or bigger..

to fix your problem in the past what i've done is switch to static lifts for 6 weeks, then when you return to regular routine you should blast through that sticking point.. always works for me..

that is if i'm eating and resting enough..
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

ironbeck is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Hows strong is your back?

i see what u mean bucka ,yeah i stall in the middle...maybe ill try both as u suggested and see....spywizard ,strength is good but i want size more ,thats why the incline stuff and i seeing improvment just would like more depth. ill try statatic too if the others dont work..i also have been doing the same routine for quite awhile so maybe changing it up like u guys are saying is going to be key!!! iron, strong as shit ofcourse haha, my back is very strong right now lat pull front aNDREVERSE ONE ARM ROWS AND shrugs and whatever else i switch too. i was thinking maybe my tris were getting hit too hard but i think you guys hit it on the head with switching up it totally makes sense now! thanks fellas i appreciate it!!!

spywizard...what do you do instead of flat? decline and/or incline? i thought about pullovers but have such sucess with my routine(till now) ive never tried them.

marcus300 is offline ~Retired~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~
    I havent done flat bench for close to ten yrs.

Try taking a break from hit and hit the chest for various different angles including decline and see how you go.

ironbeck is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    try doing heavy lat pulls and building up your back strength, you use more back then you would think when stabilizing the weight when doing bench.

ahh ok thanks fellas i switch things around and see how things go! same routine for so many yrs its probably time!

Bowtye8 is offline Junior Member
    I am with ya. I have beening hititng it hard for 3yrs and cant bench 315. I know most folks say dont worry. But its just one of those things.
    any update on your gains?

600@50 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Board presses and pin presses in a rack will help you overload your bench. Heavy triples once a week will do it.

gearbox is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 600@50
    Board presses and pin presses in a rack will help you overload your bench. Heavy triples once a week will do it.
    Is this that old school put a actual board are your chest and bring bar down to board and back up.

Thread Information