RoadToHuge is offline Associate Member

When to use a weight lifting belt and how to do deadlifts!?

I have been weight lifting for about 10 years total. Most of it has been just going to the gym and occationally learning something new, finding what works for me. I have never learned to deadlift and never learned how and when to use a weight lifting belt because I have never had any formal instruction. Something like deads I don't want to even try untill I understand proper form so I don't get hurt. I get lower back fatigue especially on leg day. If you have anything to share please share it. I think deads will stregthen my lower back and the belt will take some strain off of it. I just don't have any experience with either. Thanks!

bikeral is offline Life is only stressful if you care!
    I started seriously doing deadlifts about a year ago. Started really light high reps just to begin increasing strength in lower back. I searched online for pros and cons of using a belt and decided to go without. There are many articles online on this subject. Now I never do 1 rm as I am 47 and injury is a major concern. If you can get a PT to show you proper form that would be best but make sure he knows wtf he is doing. After a year I've worked up to 315 for reps and am sure that my increased lower back strength has allowed me to greatly increase my squat poundage. Whatever you do start light and make sure form is good before increasing weight. I've seen guys doing dead lifts horrible even with a PT. As for using belt like I said read up and decide what is best for you.

red_hulk is offline Member
    I stayed away from deads for a long time because without proper form you can really hurt yourself. Like said above, stick with a lower-moderate weight until you get the hang of the form. I personally don't use a belt, it's just not comfortable to me

600@50 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Strengthening your abs will do more for injury prevention when doing deadlifts than just about anything. A belt doesn't actually support your back. It gives you something to push against which increases intra-abdominal pressure which supports the front of the spine. Strengthening the core will give the spine support for deadlifts, squats or anything overhead.

rollingthunder is offline Associate Member
    bodybuilding.com has some decent exercise tutorial videos. you might want to check that out...

eazyduzit is offline Associate Member
    I didn't touch deads for a few years, as soon as i started lifting deads, i think i started with something small, 60kg or w.e. I was on 140kg 1-1.5 months later and my overall strength had skyrocketed, love deads

ppwc1985 is offline Productive Member
    ^^^^what rolling thunder said, they have done good vids there. I love dead lifts been doing them since I was 20, I'm 45 now. I did hurt myself once so I learned the hardway. Don't go to heavy, start out light and do at least 2-3 warmup sets. Keep back straight and keep your ass down, and you should be ok.

ppwc1985 is offline Productive Member
    Good luck

kronik420 is offline Anabolic Member
    i use the belt when doing squats, leg press, deads, and over head shoulder presses.

you should start off with light weights (just the bar if you want) until you get your form right.

RoadToHuge is offline Associate Member
    Thanks everyone! Great advise all around. I went to bodybuilding.com and watched some videos. I have done them twice and am starting to really them. I am still considering a belt but am confused by how exactly it should feel when on. Do I want to be able to push my adnominals against the belt? Do I get a 4 or 6 inch belt?

M302_Imola is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadToHuge View Post
    Thanks everyone! Great advise all around. I went to bodybuilding.com and watched some videos. I have done them twice and am starting to really them. I am still considering a belt but am confused by how exactly it should feel when on. Do I want to be able to push my adnominals against the belt? Do I get a 4 or 6 inch belt?
    I like the 4" belt because it offers more mobility which is what I like especially when doing deads. I think the 6" belt is geared more for power lifters.
    Last edited by M302_Imola; 10-24-2012 at 06:08 AM.

Squats33 is offline Associate Member
    I'm 25. Was taught at 16 to never use a belt unless its an absolute record you are going for. It will strengthen your entire core. Was taught this method for squats and deadlifts. I only used a belt for maxing.

PillarofBalance is offline Junior Member
    The point of the belt is so that prior to your repetition, you take a large breath of air into your belly and hold it. In order to protect and tighten up your core, you use that belly full of air to push hard against the belt. Use the belt anytime you'd like. There is no right and wrong. It will not weaken your low back as many say it will because you are using the belt to keep your lower back flexed and tight.

Take a look at a 10mm inzer lever belt. I have a 13mm and I powerlift. These are great belts.

Squats33 is offline Associate Member
    I agree Pillar, I just prefer to use it when the weight begins to get heavy.... More towards 2 reps or 1

Thread Information