ickythump is offline Member

when does cardio become to much cardio???

I hear cardio on an Emory stomach is good, but weight lifting is not. I want to do cardio before workout, and was recently on here asking about hiit regimens, but am worried about crossing the line into catabolism by working too intensely. I want to do intervals on rowing and elliptical which should be fine, but also a ladder routine of burpees-jump rope-box jumps; and tire flips into rope (idk what it's called but ropes are wrapped around like a pole and you swing your arms like donkey kong)...if tire isn't too heavy and burpees don't involve push ups should i be ok?? Thanks

krugerr is offline Knowledgeable Member
    From what I have come to learn recently, if you are going to do cardio in the same session as a workout. Do it after, your heart rate is already up, so you enter the fat-burning range much faster.
    How intensly are you doing your cardio? I dont know too much about HIIT, but unless you are keeping your heart-rate at 85%+ for an extended period, I wouldnt of thought you were doing any real catabolic damage.

Just my thoughts, Im sure one of the guru's will be able to help more indepth.

Thanks! When i start cutting down i expect to keep heart rate high, but only doing the routine maybe ten minutes i've read that is a good range....

I have been reading a lot of nay saying about the fat burning range, so much info is contradictory lol but i have always read that hiit is good for lasting metabolic effect, plus I'd rather look like a sprinter than a distance runner, i believe sprinting stimulates fast twitch muscle fibers

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by ickythump View Post
    I hear cardio on an Emory stomach is good, but weight lifting is not.
    False. Some people feel better working out fed, others are fine fasted. I have done both, and can tell you I've had some of the most intense workouts of my life while fasted. I did have BCAA's prior however, so i wasn't 'technically' fasted - but no food.

I want to do cardio before workout, and was recently on here asking about hiit regimens, but am worried about crossing the line into catabolism by working too intensely.
    Personally I wouldn't do cardio prior to my workout, aside from a brief warmup. Main reason being is I want to conserve my energy for my workout which needs to be intense. If I zap a bunch of energy doing cardio, I won't be able to give my workout everything I have. I'd rather collapse on a treadmill than under a barbell. I DEFINITELY wouldn't do HIIT before a workout. That's just asking for trouble IMO.

I want to do intervals on rowing and elliptical which should be fine, but also a ladder routine of burpees-jump rope-box jumps; and tire flips into rope (idk what it's called but ropes are wrapped around like a pole and you swing your arms like donkey kong)...if tire isn't too heavy and burpees don't involve push ups should i be ok?? Thanks
    I love your cardio plan, this is all great stuff, but again, I'd save it for post-workout. Why do you want to do this preworkout? I'm just curious.

I had heard a lot of people saying/blogging about fat burning by doing empty stomach cardio, then having a carb/proportion meal or shake and lifting...my main goal was gonna be losing fat and the lifting was mostly supplemental as i obv don't want to lose too much/any muscle

I had heard a lot of people saying/blogging about fat burning by doing empty stomach cardio, then having a carb/proportion meal or shake and lifting...my main goal was gonna be losing fat and the lifting was mostly supplemental as i obv don't want to lose too much/any muscle
    So do fasted weight training followed by fasted cardio. You don't *have* to eat before you train, although it's certainly the popular approach for most people. A good lifting regimen should be a part of any fat loss plan. It shouldn't be secondary to cardio. They compliment each other. Most people I see who do tons of cardio and little to no lifting (the 'cardio bunnies') look like crap... low muscle mass, too skinny, etc. If you want to have a nice physique, weight training is a must.

Hmm...i will give that a shot and see how it turns out...think 4 weeks is a good time frame to gauge results?? I like lifting more than steady state cardio, i do really enjoy that cardio routine i described tho(i haven't done them in a weekly routine but individually at random times)....yea i was saying earlier, i definitely do not want the ad you put it "cardio bunny" look

Hmm...i will give that a shot and see how it turns out...think 4 weeks is a good time frame to gauge results?? I like lifting more than steady state cardio, i do really enjoy that cardio routine i described tho(i haven't done them in a weekly routine but individually at random times)....yea i was saying earlier, i definitely do not want the ad you put it "cardio bunny" look
    4 weeks is perfect. Honestly you can try it your way as well (cardio first)... ultimately you need to find what works best for you. I'm just stating my personal preference and what I believe are logical reasons for said preference.

What I'd suggest is incorporating cardio into your lifting routine. i.e. i'd employ a lot of circuit style training, short rest periods, high-ish reps/sets, a lot of overall volume, lighter weight. This way, you get a 'quasi' cardio workout during your weight training session, then you can crush your 'real' cardio immediately PWO.

You can eat before you train, or not. If not, I'd highly recommend 10g BCAA's prior.

I've seen you on here plenty and respect your opinions, i like your way and am going to try it, if i remember to I'll update you haha....i used to do mostly complexes similar to cross fit benchmarks but a LITTLE less intense to maintain form, hockey all my youth I'm all leg strength and those cross fit plans can WRECK your (my) back n shoulders (in process of rehabing shoulder now)

I've seen you on here plenty and respect your opinions, i like your way and am going to try it, if i remember to I'll update you haha....i used to do mostly complexes similar to cross fit benchmarks but a LITTLE less intense to maintain form, hockey all my youth I'm all leg strength and those cross fit plans can WRECK your (my) back n shoulders (in process of rehabing shoulder now)
    Good deal!

Thread Information