lestat85 is offline Associate Member

Opinions on rep range for cutting

I've always heard and read that you should switch to lighter weights and increase the rep range when cutting. Recently, I've been noticing a lot of bodybuilders on YouTube saying they keep the weight heavy while cutting to maintain more muscle.

I've always followed the old low weight, high rep thinking in the past when trying to cut, but the idea of keeping the weight heavy seems to make a lot of sense, especially when it's the heavy lifting that built the muscle.

What are some more experienced members opinions and what method do you guys use while cutting?

red_hulk is offline Member
    I've always followed the low weight high rep, but I've recently seen that the opposite works. I usually follow a pyramid training method and adjust weight and rep range according to the type of training I do.

I'm fairly certain that you can do the same exact workout routine for both and your diet will dictate whether you will bulk or cut.

Doont-Hunter is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by red_hulk View Post
    I've always followed the low weight high rep, but I've recently seen that the opposite works. I usually follow a pyramid training method and adjust weight and rep range according to the type of training I do.

I'm fairly certain that you can do the same exact workout routine for both and your diet will dictate whether you will bulk or cut.
    Low reps and higher weight = focussing more on bulking and muscle gain. High reps and lower weight = toning up and trying to get definition whilst maintaining or cutting, depending on your diet.

Quote Originally Posted by red_hulk

The low weight, high rep method has never actually worked for me in the past. That said my diet was never where it should be. I recently cut a lot if bf quickly and naturally with varying rep ranges and a better diet.

I think that the key is less about the rep range and more about getting your heart rate up. Of course diet is everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Doont-Hunter

Low reps and higher weight = focussing more on bulking and muscle gain. High reps and lower weight = toning up and trying to get definition whilst maintaining or cutting, depending on your diet.
    I've alway been of this mind set in the past, but I've noticed a growing trend in vids on YouTube, with pros as well as others, saying that there is no reason to change the weight and rep range when cutting. Basically reinforcing that diet and cardio are the keys to cutting.

InsaneInTheMembrane is offline Anabolic Member
    Blog Entries
    I always stay in the same rep ranges and intensity although my strength might dip a little (low muscle glycogen from cutting, less muscle creatine, etc...)...

IMHO... keeping level of intensity the same sends a message to your body that it needs to hold onto those muscles. Switching to lower weights and higher reps sends the opposite feedback, that its ok to shave off some muscle for endurance/stamina/energy

marcus300 is offline ~Retired~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~
    What built the muscle will maintain the muscle so carry on with the same routine what built it but swap and change it around more often using higher reps to get a pump but rep range isnt really going to cut you up but diet and cardio is

CMB
    CMB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lestat85 View Post
    I've always heard and read that you should switch to lighter weights and increase the rep range when cutting. Recently, I've been noticing a lot of bodybuilders on YouTube saying they keep the weight heavy while cutting to maintain more muscle.

I've always followed the old low weight, high rep thinking in the past when trying to cut, but the idea of keeping the weight heavy seems to make a lot of sense, especially when it's the heavy lifting that built the muscle.

What are some more experienced members opinions and what method do you guys use while cutting?
    You can do both, you know. Instead of just going heavy or going light, do both. If you train the 7-15 rep range you will develop your muscles AND keep em big and stong

Quote Originally Posted by CMB

You can do both, you know. Instead of just going heavy or going light, do both. If you train the 7-15 rep range you will develop your muscles AND keep em big and stong
    I pretty much abandoned the set number of reps recently and go more by how the weight feels. I use a range between 6-12. If the weight feels a little light, I use more reps and increase next set. If the weight feels heavy, as long as I can get 6-8, I use the lower reps. It seems to be working pretty good for me so far.

It never really made sense to me that changing reps somehow would prevent fat loss or muscle gain.

I'm thinking that I'll likely keep my workouts pretty similar when it comes time to cut. Just increase the pace and add more cardio.

evander87 is offline Senior Member
    There is the idea of lifting to cut by shortening your rest periods between sets. If you're in the 8-12 rep range and you shorten up your rests to :30 between sets you'll most likely have to use a lighter weight to complete reps and sets. Your heart rate should be through the roof and that will help you cut up.

But for me, the difference between cutting and bulking is all about diet. Sure I'll dial back my cardio when bulking and amp it up when cutting but the more drastic changes come in my diet.

CMB
    Quote Originally Posted by lestat85 View Post
    I pretty much abandoned the set number of reps recently and go more by how the weight feels. I use a range between 6-12. If the weight feels a little light, I use more reps and increase next set. If the weight feels heavy, as long as I can get 6-8, I use the lower reps. It seems to be working pretty good for me so far.

It never really made sense to me that changing reps somehow would prevent fat loss or muscle gain.

I'm thinking that I'll likely keep my workouts pretty similar when it comes time to cut. Just increase the pace and add more cardio.

I lifted less than ten repetitions for years and kept a bodyfat below 8%. Then I started lifting higher repetitions with less weight, the 10-15 repetition range.

The result was a more defined look. My bicep started to peak, my chest wasn't "round" anymore, it actually had separation. My deltoids started developing striations, and so much more. Needless to say it was a worlds difference. About 3-4 months later, my bodyfat was down significantly. Why is this? Well for two reasons imo. 1) Your body adapts to the repetition scheme you work with, therefore if change the repetitions it is a different training method and your body must now adapt to it. 2) Higher repetitions equals more developed muscles and fat loss

Repetitions are very important, I suggest you start counting your reps! They determine the outcome of your training (along with MANY other factors). It is important for me to explain that you will not lose an ounce of muscle by increasing your repetitions. You will keep all of it, but it will start to show more.

3 repetitions or less -> Great for strength purposes, ineffective for mass or fat loss
    5 Repetitions -> great for strength while still putting on a small amount of mass, ineffective for fat loss
    7 repetitions -> Good for strength and size, somewhat effective for fat loss
    10 repetitions -> the BEST range for size, decent strength gains, decent fat loss
    12 repetitions -> Good for size, and good for fat loss, ineffective for strength from this point on
    15 repetitions -> Decent for size, BEST range for fat loss, beginning at 15 repetitions muscle endurance starts becoming a factor
    20 repetitions -> Ineffective at building size or strength, decent fat loss, mostly muscle endrance
    30 repetitions -> Very effective for training the glycolytic pathway (muscle endurance), ineffective for strength, size, or fat loss

CMB
    As a side note...

Bodybuilders should train mostly in the 7-12 range... HOWEVER... they really should train everything from 3-15 on occasion to keep changing it up. Remember, change is always good. (exception being obama)

Quote Originally Posted by CMB

I lifted less than ten repetitions for years and kept a bodyfat below 8%. Then I started lifting higher repetitions with less weight, the 10-15 repetition range.

The result was a more defined look. My bicep started to peak, my chest wasn't "round" anymore, it actually had separation. My deltoids started developing striations, and so much more. Needless to say it was a worlds difference. About 3-4 months later, my bodyfat was down significantly. Why is this? Well for two reasons imo. 1) Your body adapts to the repetition scheme you work with, therefore if change the repetitions it is a different training method and your body must now adapt to it. 2) Higher repetitions equals more developed muscles and fat loss

Repetitions are very important, I suggest you start counting your reps! They determine the outcome of your training (along with MANY other factors). It is important for me to explain that you will not lose an ounce of muscle by increasing your repetitions. You will keep all of it, but it will start to show more.

3 repetitions or less -> Great for strength purposes, ineffective for mass or fat loss
    5 Repetitions -> great for strength while still putting on a small amount of mass, ineffective for fat loss
    10 repetitions -> the BEST range for size, decent strength gains, decent fat loss
    12 repetitions -> Good for size, and good for fat loss, ineffective for strength from this point on
    15 repetitions -> Decent for size, BEST range for fat loss, beginning at 15 repetitions muscle endurance starts becoming a factor
    20 repetitions -> Ineffective at building size or strength, decent fat loss, mostly muscle endrance
    30 repetitions -> Very effective for training the glycolytic pathway (muscle endurance), ineffective for strength, size, or fat loss
    I think I may have explained my rep ranges poorly. I do count my reps. I used to have a set number of reps that I would do. Normally 8, but would up it to 15 when cutting.

What I changed is that I started using a wider rep range within my workouts. What I do is, if the weight feels light, I'll go for 10-12 and up the weight on the next set. If the weight feels heavy, I'll do as many as I can and aim for at least 6-8.

It's good to hear a first hand experience with both methods. Thanks for the information.

boxingfan30 is offline Member
    I remember a guy who was on another forum years ago and had a personal trainer who had told him that now that he had gained some muscle he needed to go to lower weights to "cut the muscle up" LMAO! The poor guy was getting bashed left and right, but it wasn't his fault.

I never brought the weight down when I was lifting heavy. As you cut you WILL lose at least some muscle and get a bit weaker, so you can do 6 or 7 reps instead of 8-10... so what? Higher reps are for muscular endurance and are going to hit different fibers. It's not a bad thing, but you can't maintain a chest that can rep 250 lbs by doing 185... the muscles will respond according to the load that is put on them. This is all IMO of course and I could be completely wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by CMB View Post

I have no idea how doing 15 reps has 1 thing to do with fat loss... i'm sorry.

CMB
    Quote Originally Posted by boxingfan30 View Post
    I have no idea how doing 15 reps has 1 thing to do with fat loss... i'm sorry.
    I'm sorry for you too... Do some research and the answer is rather clear... For cutting 15 repetitions is KING.

I think the difference in the 15 rep plans is the shorter rest periods that are always recommended with them. I've read the same rep schemes over and over for as long as I've been training, but when guys are coming into competition ripped to shreds and still lifting heavy, it hard to argue that it'll work.

It seems to me that the pace is more important than the number of reps, as the key is to keep the heart rate up.

Quote Originally Posted by CMB View Post
    I'm sorry for you too... Do some research and the answer is rather clear... For cutting 15 repetitions is KING.
    no, it's really not... as said above, you can do 15 reps and then take shorter rest periods... heavier lifting results in the body needing more calories to repair and thus those calories are used up as the body recovers, which is why lifting weights causes the body to burn fat for 24-48 hours. All you are really doing is keeping your HR higher by doing higher reps and lower weight... but if you want muscular endurance that's great, but that's about all it's going to result in. Perhaps you should be doing the research.

Armykid93 is offline Productive Member
    Diet is going to be the biggest factor in a cut. That being said bulking for me is 7-8 reps. Cutting is around 12. That's what works for me

Quote Originally Posted by Armykid93 View Post
    Diet is going to be the biggest factor in a cut. That being said bulking for me is 7-8 reps. Cutting is around 12. That's what works for me
    12 is ok because it's been proven that 8-12 reps is optimal for growth... you're still in that range which is good. I'm just saying that reps has not a damn thing to do with cutting... HR being higher is what does it. If you want to train for muscular endurance then over 12 is where you want to be.

gonebluffn is offline Associate Member
    I know most people change their reps when cutting but what works for me is to adjust my macros and cardio and always lift heavy Ive tried the less wieght more reps and as I lost weght I lost strength so in my opinion its mostly your diet and cardio by lifting heavy through out my cutting cycle I lose very little strength.

Quote Originally Posted by marcus300 View Post
    What built the muscle will maintain the muscle so carry on with the same routine what built it but swap and change it around more often using higher reps to get a pump but rep range isnt really going to cut you up but diet and cardio is
    It really IS this simple... and yet some people just don't get it... I cannot understand it.

People, a muscle doesn't "tone" a muscle is shaped the way it's shaped and that's pretty much it. Can you peak your biceps? Yes you can... are there other little things you can do here and there ? Yes of course. LOOK at the muscular system however, notice how all of the pictures show all of the same shapes? The only difference is that some are larger and some are smaller. There is no cutting the muscle, there is no rep range for cutting fat... cardio heats up your core and causes the body to burn fat. Cardio was recently shown to only be 10% of weight loss, with 90% being diet. Cardio is needed for the heart and always will be and it will always help however.

CMB
    Quote Originally Posted by boxingfan30 View Post
    It really IS this simple... and yet some people just don't get it... I cannot understand it.

People, a muscle doesn't "tone" a muscle is shaped the way it's shaped and that's pretty much it. Can you peak your biceps? Yes you can... are there other little things you can do here and there ? Yes of course. LOOK at the muscular system however, notice how all of the pictures show all of the same shapes? The only difference is that some are larger and some are smaller. There is no cutting the muscle, there is no rep range for cutting fat... cardio heats up your core and causes the body to burn fat. Cardio was recently shown to only be 10% of weight loss, with 90% being diet. Cardio is needed for the heart and always will be and it will always help however.
    You're right, 90% of it does come down to cardio. You can be cut as fuhuuck doing 6-10 reps all day I am not arguing that. What I am saying, however, is that the 15 12-15 rep range will develop your muscles differently than 5 reps would. This is not fiction, rather scientific fact. When I said 15 reps is king for cutting I should have elaborated further.

Everybody should always do cardio regardless of whatever else you do, including bodybuilders.

being cut is considered being a very low body fat. The rep ranges you use are going to make your muscles grow, or they will work other fibers. If you are an athlete that requires endurance, then you want to work your slow twitch fibers by using the higher reps that you are speaking of. Then you have your fast twitch fibers... which have 2 types. A and B, the fast twitch are the explosive ones that pretty much everyone on this board uses likely more often than the other because they are the explosive fibers and the "bigger" muscles basically. The B fibers use supposedly both types. Again, a muscle is the shape that it is, the only thing you're going to change is the size of your muscles, the peak of your biceps or perhaps another muscle. This has more to do with form IMO than it does rep range. It is universally accepted that the strength reps are aroun 3-8, 8-12 for maximum growth... and around 12 and up for muscular endurance.

I'm not arguing, but this is pretty much considered a pretty solid fact accepted by just about any bodybuilder, or weight lifter out there who knows much at all about proper training.

Anabolic4Health is offline Junior Member
    great info. Definitely going to try it all. thanks

Thread Information