BostonT is offline New Member

need help with workout that incorporates a plyometric/cardio day

Here is what I want to do, I want a 4 day split I'll do 2 days in a row with weights, day off, 2 days with weights, day off.

Now what I was thinking would be one of those days off would be an actually day off, and one would be a plyo/cardio day. I also do a 1 mile run or 30 minute elliptical at the end of my weight days.

I was doing

day1 chest
    day2 legs
    day3 plyo
    day4 shoulders tris
    day5 back bis
    day6 rest
    day7 starts the cycle over

I want to change it up a little bit though because I felt like I was A. getting bored and B. doing a lot of unnecessary exercises. So yesterday I tried to do a streamline chest tri day.

Flat BB- 205x6 205x6 205x6 205x5 205x4 205x4
    incline BB- 155x12 155x12 155x10 155x8
    fly machine- 125x40

close grip BB- 155x6 155x6 155x6 155x6 155x6 155x6
    cable push down- (whatever the stack was)x12 i did that 4 times
    dips- body weight x 40

then i did an ab circuit.

Am I on the right track? any suggestions of what muscle groups to do with each other on what days? MUST DO exercises? or any exercises I need not do?

I felt like I was making great progress, but certain things seem to be lagging.
    First I was dropping body fat like a champ (kinda put that on hold for the holidays, but started diet again today)
    My best guesstimate would be I got down to a good 12% prob back up to 14-15. thats okay though I am confident with my diet.
    Squat deads and bench all improved a lot.
    anything like curls skull crushers things like that kind of seem to be stuck at the same weights for the same reps.

Thanks for the help

BostonT is offline New Member
    Okay this is what I came up with so far...

The setup of my reps and sets are at the bottom.

Day 1

bb flat bench- power set
    bb incline bench- muscle set
    bb decline bench- muscle set
    flys- burn set

close grip press- power set
    tri push down- muscle set
    reverse grip
    single arm pull down- muscle set
    dips- burn set

ab circuit

Day 2

wide grip pull downs- Power set
    pull ups- muscle set
    seated row- muscle set
    reverse fly- burn

straight bar curl- power set
    db hammer curl- muscle set
    preacher curl- muscle set
    cable curls- burn

forearm/grip workout

Day 3

Rest

Day 4

deadlift- power set
    squat- muscle set
    lunges- muscle set
    leg press- burn set

bb shoulder press- power set
    arnold press- muscle set
    shrugs- muscle set
    rear delt fly-burn
    front delt raises- burn

Day 5

plyo/cardio etc.

Day 6

repeat

Am I hitting all muscle groups this way? I am thinking every 3 weeks or so I'll switch the Flat bench and incline. Making my incline set first and power for 3 weeks and the flat a muscle set.

I am basing my reps and sets on this philosophy
    http://www.muscleandstrength.com/wor...out-split.html

Power. You will perform power sets to lead off the workout. Power sets are performed in the 3 to 5 rep range. Use the same weight for each of the sets. When you can perform 5 reps for all power sets, move up in weight. Major muscle groups will perform 2-4 power sets per workout, and minor muscle groups will perform 2 power sets per workout. Please note that for some minor muscle groups, power sets do not make sense, or they are not realistic. For example, it is difficult to perform extremely heavy resistance abdominal sets.

Muscle. Muscle sets are performed in the 6 to 12 rep range. Use the same weight for each of the sets. When you hit the upper rep limit of 12 for all muscle sets, move up in weight. Major muscle groups will perform 4-6 total muscle sets in each workout, using 2 different exercises. Minor muscle groups will perform 2-4 total muscle sets in each workout, using 1 to 2 exercises. You can also perform a single exercise for 3 sets.

Burn. You will perform 1-2 burn sets for each muscle group - generally using isolation movements. Pick a weight that allows you to hit 15 to 20 reps, and then perform 40 total reps. How? Do as many reps as possible, then take a slight rest and perform more reps. Rest only long enough to regain the energy and willpower to perform 1 to 3 more reps. Keep pushing yourself through the pain until you hit 40 total reps. When you can hit 25+ reps from the start without stopping, add weight. Major muscle groups will utilize 2 burn sets, minor muscle groups will use 1-2 burn sets.

Thread Information