Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: So.... you want abs....

cj111 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I started at 3-4 , did It today and got 14. Then squeeze a few more out just brining the knees up

oatmeal69 is offline Productive Member
    I did it on a Roman Chair... I know I'm supposed to do hanging, but my lats are on fire (I'm just starting back with serious weight training after 8 months off) Still, even with the support on my back, doing the scissor kick or lifting my legs without bending at the knee was nearly impossible. I always thought my abs were pretty strong too - crunches, etc. present little challenge.
    What I'll REALLY be stoked about is if I can get my ab wall tightened up to flatten my stomach. I only have an inch of fat over my abs, but it hangs out and I hate it! Have you noticed this to any significant degree? Before I had thought it's visceral fat, but just by sucking it in, it disappears.

dan991 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oatmeal69 View Post
    I did it on a Roman Chair... I know I'm supposed to do hanging, but my lats are on fire (I'm just starting back with serious weight training after 8 months off) Still, even with the support on my back, doing the scissor kick or lifting my legs without bending at the knee was nearly impossible. I always thought my abs were pretty strong too - crunches, etc. present little challenge.
    What I'll REALLY be stoked about is if I can get my ab wall tightened up to flatten my stomach. I only have an inch of fat over my abs, but it hangs out and I hate it! Have you noticed this to any significant degree? Before I had thought it's visceral fat, but just by sucking it in, it disappears.
    The problem with using a roman chair or any type of support is that your body trains itself to do a motion and then its hard to break the habit. For example your hip flexors will assist in completing the rep and then when you do go to hanging exercises your hip flexors will try to assist and be on fire because they really can't. You want to teach your body/brain to use only your core even though at first it seems almost impossible. If you end up training your body to use other muscles; you're gonna hate life when doing the hanging exercises.

Yea- the one inch of fat is what I call "skinny fat man syndrome" lol. I had the exact same thing for the longest. You're skinny but at the same time you put on a pair of jeans and there is a little roll that hangs over when you sit down but isn't there when you stand up lol. That can be diet more than anything as water, salt, etc. do find a place to go and the older you get the more likely its going to head right for your midsection. Don't get discouraged though because it will go away with time. When you start doing the inner oblique exercises you'll see that disappear rather quickly. I've been there... trust me. Based on your avi pic we have a similar body type and our stats for height are the same; you're just a few years older than I am. My current avi pic is from earlier this week.
    Last edited by dan991; 03-10-2013 at 10:46 AM.

I hear you and understand about Roman Chair. I will start with hanging next week. My lats are on fire though, I couldn't even reach up to grab the bar!
    Here are my latest pix, taken this morning.
    http://forums.steroid.com/showthread...EN-A-Diary-Log
    You are speaking my language - That one inch and smooth look is the damnedest thing. I start a new cycle in two weeks, and I'd like to be leaner, but I've already lost so much muscle and strength with my "leaning" routine. It sometimes seems I can't win. Even so, I'm going to do your routine every week.

I hear you and understand about Roman Chair. I will start with hanging next week. My lats are on fire though, I couldn't even reach up to grab the bar!
    Here are my latest pix, taken this morning.
    http://forums.steroid.com/showthread...EN-A-Diary-Log
    You are speaking my language - That one inch and smooth look is the damnedest thing. I start a new cycle in two weeks, and I'd like to be leaner, but I've already lost so much muscle and strength with my "leaning" routine. It sometimes seems I can't win. Even so, I'm going to do your routine every week.
    Yep, we have the EXACT same build. I looked just like that back in the day. I've been training for a long time now but back when I first started we looked identical from neck to waist, lol. It'll come... just stay at it. I gotta look and see if I have some old pics before I started training/eating right. The difference between now and then is drastic. I have never cycled though. I'm on TRT now but I've never even gone higher than the docs orders so we'll see what that does when I do decide to do a blast cycle.

Zodiac82 is offline AR's Scrapple Lover
    not to mention that roman chair probably takes away probably 80% of the actual work....I was a roman chair guy the whole time(only about 3 weeks) of doing dans routine....then on Friday I did them hanging and man its a BIG difference lol I think I did about 4-5 reps on all....looked like a total wuss....definitely will be doin them hanging from now

Yep, it's official, I can feel it in my hip flexors as well. That's not mentioning the fact that my abs - all of them - are on fire today.

GirlyGymRat is online now Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~
    Dan. The ab slings. Looks like there is a slight design difference on-line. One has the back side closed off. The other is symmetrical front to back. Do you have a preference on which one i purchase???

killer41qc is offline Junior Member
    Really good workout ! Thank you for sharing. Expecting good results

My first workout Saturday with this routine was pathetic (see above) and my abs are still sore today. This is good!

Quote Originally Posted by GirlyGymRat View Post
    Dan. The ab slings. Looks like there is a slight design difference on-line. One has the back side closed off. The other is symmetrical front to back. Do you have a preference on which one i purchase???
    Don't get the ones that are closed off.

Quote Originally Posted by dan68131

Don't get the ones that are closed off.
    Thank you Dan.

Say, those are some great legs! We should start a thread about them!

Quote Originally Posted by oatmeal69
    Say, those are some great legs! We should start a thread about them!
    Hahahahaha. Late. Dan did already. Lol.

Dan. One more question. I was wondering if I can do the exercise with the straps at home after I finish the routine with rest at the gym. I have a chin up bar at home that these can be slipped onto and then I don't need to be hauling these into the gym. My bag is so heavy with all my shows and skin care products, perfume etc.....

Pls say yes.

Brick is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GirlyGymRat
    Dan. One more question. I was wondering if I can do the exercise with the straps at home after I finish the routine with rest at the gym. I have a chin up bar at home that these can be slipped onto and then I don't need to be hauling these into the gym. My bag is so heavy with all my shows and skin care products, perfume etc.....

Pls say yes.
    GGR. My gym won't let me use my straps and I can't use them at home. I've used them less then 10 times, want to buy mine?

POTTSY84 is offline New Member
    Good read pal

Quote Originally Posted by GirlyGymRat View Post

Pls say yes.
    I don't care where you do your routine.... just do it...

Quote Originally Posted by dan68131

I don't care where you do your routine.... just do it...
    So I can split this one out....thanks Dan.

kawika is offline Junior Member
    Is it bad to do the ab vacuums everyday?

Quote Originally Posted by kawika View Post
    Is it bad to do the ab vacuums everyday?
    Nope. I do them whenever.

Do them during intercourse, helps to climax.

Give the ol kegel a good squeeze also for good measure

jumpshot31 is offline New Member
    This is an awesome post. This should be on bodybuilding.com or something lol. But seriously

Quote Originally Posted by jumpshot31 View Post
    This is an awesome post. This should be on bodybuilding.com or something lol. But seriously
    That site doesn't have sh*t on steroid .com ;-)

Hmmm... My abs are not nearly as strong as I thought. I look like a flailing chicken while trying to do the hanging exercises. I can't even do the kicking or V stuff... I'm thinking I need to dial it back to more traditional sit-ups and crunches until I build more strength??
    Also, having trouble maintaining my grip. Where is a good place to buy the slings?

Going to just reiterate, I love this routine.. I modified it a bit, but nothing drastic.
    Started 2 months ago being able to do about 3 leg raises, up close to 20 now and pausing at the top after doing as many reps as I can.
    I would suggest these exercises to anyone!!

I really thought my abs didn't need much work - it's the one thing I THOUGHT I was gifted with. WRONG!
    Unfortunately, it's that inch or so of fat covering them... I'm also hoping to tone them up and thus pull my ab wall in. It seems to hang out too much, even if I didn't have the fat.

I chuckle to myself now when I see everyone in the gym LOADING up the roman chair with 100+lbs and heaving it down as if they are really working their abs..lol..
    Oatmeal, just keep going man, trust me you will get better at these exercises in no time and when you do you will love them that much more

Knockout_Power is offline "Even sexier than Siggy"
    Weighted situp machines are the biggest joke... much like how people think fatloss is area specific as thought doing ab work burns the fat in that localized area.

Dans ab routine is very similar to what we did in boxing and then adding in a lot of kicking a heavy bag really makes the obliques pop

Agreed. One thing to look forward to is that if I'm that weak in this particular area, I should be able to notice some quick progress. I'm going to stick with it - even if I can only squeak one rep out, LOL

Do them with legs straight..then once you burn that out, switch to just bringing the knees up..its what I did at the beginning when I was weak like an old lady

Zodiac82 is offline AR's Scrapple Lover
    Hmmm... My abs are not nearly as strong as I thought. I look like a flailing chicken while trying to do the hanging exercises. I can't even do the kicking or V stuff... I'm thinking I need to dial it back to more traditional sit-ups and crunches until I build more strength??
    Also, having trouble maintaining my grip. Where is a good place to buy the slings?
    u can get the slings at pretty much any sports type store....walmart....shoot I think even Gnc sells them

chefjmo is offline Junior Member
    Picked up the straps at Wal-Mart for 9 bucks. They work great!

Quote Originally Posted by chefjmo View Post
    Picked up the straps at Wal-Mart for 9 bucks. !
    Now that's what I wanted to hear!

Quote Originally Posted by chefjmo View Post
    Picked up the straps at Wal-Mart for 9 bucks. They work great!
    Yea that's where i got mine as well lol. Gotta love wally world

Dan, duno if youre around to answer this.
    Looking to develop my lower two abs more, my obliques have got massive doing this routine as of lately, and the portion below your lower abs...I duno what its called.
    But the two abs them selves, any exercises that can work those directly? Or am I just trippin

Quote Originally Posted by cj111
    Dan, duno if youre around to answer this.
    Looking to develop my lower two abs more, my obliques have got massive doing this routine as of lately, and the portion below your lower abs...I duno what its called.
    But the two abs them selves, any exercises that can work those directly? Or am I just trippin
    I don't think Dan is active any more. . Perhaps a mod can help you out!!!

Aw dang, well ya if anyone else has an answer feel free to chime in.

Bought the hanging straps at Wal-Mart for $10. They make a HUGE difference. It's MUCH easier to hang/hold on, and focus all your effort on doing the exercise and using your torso to stop all extraneous movement.
    I'm a little stronger and able to at least do a couple reps of each exercise. I can do the side leg lifts all day long for some reason. I'm gonna need to review the video links again.

Hulking2016 is offline Junior Member
    Nice thread

Thread Information