Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
Results 241 to 280 of 391
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: So.... you want abs....

  1. #241
    thehor's Avatar
    thehor is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    766
    I enjoyed everything about this article very helpful.

  2. #242
    oatmeal69's Avatar
    oatmeal69 is offline Productive Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    2,271
    Yeah, I'm still working this routine - and seeing results!

  3. #243
    Papiriqui's Avatar
    Papiriqui is offline Productive Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,151
    Anyone has a link for a video on Hanging V, the link attached doesnt work nor can i find it on youtube!!

  4. #244
    gearbox's Avatar
    gearbox is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    5,355
    Quote Originally Posted by Papiriqui View Post
    Anyone has a link for a video on Hanging V, the link attached doesnt work nor can i find it on youtube!!
    Legs up straight out then extend legs apart as far.as your flexibility allows then back together and legs come down

  5. #245
    tigerspawn's Avatar
    tigerspawn is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    1,976
    Dan thanks for the informative thread

  6. #246
    oatmeal69's Avatar
    oatmeal69 is offline Productive Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    2,271
    Can't extend legs straight out without a bend at the knees. Never could...

  7. #247
    Papiriqui's Avatar
    Papiriqui is offline Productive Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,151
    Quote Originally Posted by gearbox View Post
    Legs up straight out then extend legs apart as far.as your flexibility allows then back together and legs come down
    I can understand what you mean and also what i read on the thread but still cant visually see it lol. I need at least a picture, weird but i cant for some reason!!

  8. #248
    Alright john's Avatar
    Alright john is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Garden of England
    Posts
    52
    I am going to try this!
    I used have an 8 pack but gave up smoking 12 years ago and gained weight all over but most of it on my stomach.
    Currently doing mixed cardio involving the usual suspects
    But also mixed it up with a lot of boxing cardio. My top abs are now showing just the bottom tyre to loose. Bf about 17.5%
    Last edited by Alright john; 04-29-2013 at 09:03 AM.

  9. #249
    gearbox's Avatar
    gearbox is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    5,355
    Quote Originally Posted by Papiriqui View Post

    I can understand what you mean and also what i read on the thread but still cant visually see it lol. I need at least a picture, weird but i cant for some reason!!
    No prob. Its just a simple v motion in the air. Mine sucks cause my abs can't do it very well nor is my groin flexible

  10. #250
    bstacked's Avatar
    bstacked is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    149
    Do some wipers and leg upd on a pull up bar as well as incline bench take a weight and shoot for the ceiling some crunches pull downs with the rope like ur praying to allah lol jk but serious at the same time no offense
    Twin likes this.

  11. #251
    Doom44's Avatar
    Doom44 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    582
    awesome post

  12. #252
    Papiriqui's Avatar
    Papiriqui is offline Productive Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,151
    I have a couple questions after reading this thread like 10 times already lol.

    -Hanging Side Leg Lifts, the video shows one thing but the explanation says to do it differently, anyone knows of a video where they actually perform it as it should be?

    General question, i guess i will kind of rock until i get some strength in the inner wall, i will try to do it slow to avoid using other body parts but i guess i have to get use to these routines.

    Also why begin by performing said routine once a week and incrementing it after a long while? I would think that starting 2-3 times a week would not only yield better results but also the more you do it the faster you get the proper motion of whatever you are training, unless is meant more for the abs so they dont get used to it? Just curious behind this reasoning thats all.

  13. #253
    gearbox's Avatar
    gearbox is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    5,355
    Quote Originally Posted by Papiriqui View Post
    I have a couple questions after reading this thread like 10 times already lol.

    -Hanging Side Leg Lifts, the video shows one thing but the explanation says to do it differently, anyone knows of a video where they actually perform it as it should be?

    General question, i guess i will kind of rock until i get some strength in the inner wall, i will try to do it slow to avoid using other body parts but i guess i have to get use to these routines.

    Also why begin by performing said routine once a week and incrementing it after a long while? I would think that starting 2-3 times a week would not only yield better results but also the more you do it the faster you get the proper motion of whatever you are training, unless is meant more for the abs so they dont get used to it? Just curious behind this reasoning thats all.
    Its actually just the opposite. To work the inner wall you need a strict rep. If you can only do one good rep then do that. Do not swing.
    If you do one good , slow, controlled, rep your good. You will move up quickly I promise. Once you do your rep you can do knees to chest. Thats what I do.
    Regarding once a week training I would go off if your sore or not.

  14. #254
    gearbox's Avatar
    gearbox is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    5,355
    You tube hanging leg raises
    Its the 3 rd one from top. White kid holding onto wide pull up bar. Can't copy with my.phone

  15. #255
    Papiriqui's Avatar
    Papiriqui is offline Productive Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,151
    Quote Originally Posted by gearbox View Post
    You tube hanging leg raises
    Its the 3 rd one from top. White kid holding onto wide pull up bar. Can't copy with my.phone
    Thanks bud! Yeah i was just talking lol, kind of tried today to get an idea and i dont think i could get my legs up lol, i can do them in the machine for pull ups and dips which it has a padded back lol but this is a whole nother level!!!

    I should be getting by the afternoon the Hanging Straps!! Cant wait to begin doing this!!

  16. #256
    gearbox's Avatar
    gearbox is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    5,355
    Quote Originally Posted by Papiriqui View Post

    Thanks bud! Yeah i was just talking lol, kind of tried today to get an idea and i dont think i could get my legs up lol, i can do them in the machine for pull ups and dips which it has a padded back lol but this is a whole nother level!!!

    I should be getting by the afternoon the Hanging Straps!! Cant wait to begin doing this!!
    The hanging with the pad at your back works different muscles. That hanging leg raises will come a lot quicker than you think. I bet within two months you'll be doing 10 strict all the way past 90 degrees (straight out in front of you)

  17. #257
    cj111's Avatar
    cj111 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    1,320
    Started this routine(ish) 4 months ago, its boss. Just started doing the windshield whipers, wow what a burn.

  18. #258
    gearbox's Avatar
    gearbox is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    5,355
    Quote Originally Posted by cj111 View Post
    Started this routine(ish) 4 months ago, its boss. Just started doing the windshield whipers, wow what a burn.
    Wipers are definitely for the advanced. if you're doing them right. I just try to bring my leg raises even higher and hold longer!
    I still struggle with the twists

  19. #259
    Hydroponics's Avatar
    Hydroponics is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    264
    The p90x ab ripper x is great too

  20. #260
    Hulking2016's Avatar
    Hulking2016 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    143
    Nice

  21. #261
    oatmeal69's Avatar
    oatmeal69 is offline Productive Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    2,271
    Soi is it just me or are others not flexible enough to do these exercises with their legs straight? The higher I bring them, the more I have to bend my knees.

  22. #262
    gearbox's Avatar
    gearbox is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    5,355
    Knees also bend cause ab strength. Higher you go more pressure on the mid sections and your legs are begging to let you bend them.

  23. #263
    Papiriqui's Avatar
    Papiriqui is offline Productive Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,151
    Well i will be starting down this road this coming wednesday. I hope i can actually get up from bed on thursday lol.

  24. #264
    GirlyGymRat's Avatar
    GirlyGymRat is offline Knowledgeable ~ Respected Female Leader ~
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    In a gym!
    Posts
    14,357
    Quote Originally Posted by Papiriqui
    Well i will be starting down this road this coming wednesday. I hope i can actually get up from bed on thursday lol.
    Do u have the straps???

  25. #265
    Papiriqui's Avatar
    Papiriqui is offline Productive Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,151
    Quote Originally Posted by GirlyGymRat View Post
    Do u have the straps???
    Yes i do and i used them today for the first time. Definitely need to get use to the straps and workout. I knew this was going to be hard but i never anticipated it was going to be borderline impossible LOL. The only time i felt my abs was when i did the decline bench crunches for warmup.

    I tried controlling the motion upwards and back down but kept moving, i think i might have been trying to lift the legs to high like someone whos been doing it for ages LOL. I didnt even tried to get past the regular leg raises since i couldnt find the sweet spot.

    I tried contracting my abs, nothing, slowly, nothing, without the straps, nothing, the straps actually made my arms with the bloodlines below the skin.

    I will continue to do this until i find the spot where i feel my abs really getting a workout, until then i am unhappy. Also i will be trying other days in the week to do some regular leg raises where you have the back support to help the muscle get some workout out i guess, also do the decline bench warm up, decline bench twist and leg cross twist as well to help get some endurance in that area and perhaps it will be a bit easier finding the spot where i can concentrate the workout on the abs/core.

    I felt my quads getting tight LOL, center of middle of the back also, literally my arms were on fire and everything else except my abs.

    So if you went through this or you have some advise, go ahead and start typing LOL because i need all the help i can get!!!

  26. #266
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    somewhere on earth
    Posts
    1,355
    To do this u have to connevt "mind to muscle", itsounds as if u were predominantly using your satoris muscles amongst others. U must try to imagine ur legs including!!! hips are kinda rigid. Unmoveable. Meaning you are "crunching" the leg raises in whichever direction. The decline warmup crunches should give u the connective "movement" for the excercise. Its actually a helluva lot harder,when u do it correctly. And it WILL burn the hell out of your abdominal core.
    Hope that helps. Remember bend at the lower.back fetal kind of curl. Dont just move ur legs up n down. Or its a leg excercise. Not the ab excercise your attempting to produce.

  27. #267
    oatmeal69's Avatar
    oatmeal69 is offline Productive Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    2,271
    Yeah, I'm learning that a lot of this has to do with teaching your mind to use your abs - not other areas that you normally would - to do the work. If you do it right, ONE rep will burn on some of them, like the split leg raise thing. Some I'm only able to do one strict rep still.

  28. #268
    Papiriqui's Avatar
    Papiriqui is offline Productive Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,151
    Well i tried today just to try to get the hang of it without the straps. I think i got it, not a 100% yet but that will come with time and practice, this time i definitely felt my abs on fire, trick for me was bending the legs a bit and coming a bit higher than L shape. I think i will try just regular leg raises for a few weeks, build some strength and endurance and then jump into this routine otherwise i know i will not make it to the last exercise LOL.

    I use mind to muscle connection for everything and i was on this but for some reason i could not perform them correctly yesterday. Although i spent all day reading and watching videos and going crazy that i guess i visualized in my mind so much how to properly do it that today i felt it from the get go........

  29. #269
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    somewhere on earth
    Posts
    1,355
    Quote Originally Posted by Papiriqui View Post
    Well i tried today just to try to get the hang of it without the straps. I think i got it, not a 100% yet but that will come with time and practice, this time i definitely felt my abs on fire, trick for me was bending the legs a bit and coming a bit higher than L shape. I think i will try just regular leg raises for a few weeks, build some strength and endurance and then jump into this routine otherwise i know i will not make it to the last exercise LOL.

    I use mind to muscle connection for everything and i was on this but for some reason i could not perform them correctly yesterday. Although i spent all day reading and watching videos and going crazy that i guess i visualized in my mind so much how to properly do it that today i felt it from the get go........
    nice one. I havent even attempted this routine as yet. Ive done a few of the excercises already so know just how hard its gunna be so trying to condition myself. Shoyld be good to go next month.
    Getting that connection to any muscle is really hard for anyone. I think i only 'get' it due to the fact i used to go through every muscle group each night flexing them 1000 times. Up until the missus (now ex) used to go mad bout the bed bouncing round for an hour lol

  30. #270
    Papiriqui's Avatar
    Papiriqui is offline Productive Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,151
    Quote Originally Posted by justincwade View Post
    nice one. I havent even attempted this routine as yet. Ive done a few of the excercises already so know just how hard its gunna be so trying to condition myself. Shoyld be good to go next month.
    Getting that connection to any muscle is really hard for anyone. I think i only 'get' it due to the fact i used to go through every muscle group each night flexing them 1000 times. Up until the missus (now ex) used to go mad bout the bed bouncing round for an hour lol
    Well when i said i got it i meant how to feel the burning sensation in the core/abs rather than my quads and back. I still cannot perform 10 leg raises correctly to where i am happy 100% but like i said, that will come with time and as you said conditioning.

    I will be doing this exercises separately to build strength and stamina because i can tell you one thing, if i try to do this routine i will not get close to finishing it. After 6-7 leg raises i tell you that my arms or my core are on fire so forget about jumping to the next exercise, and i am not even taking it to failure due to my arms getting tired without the straps, im yet to try it with the straps now that i learn how to do the leg raises but im sure i need to get use to the straps as well.

    Definitely can see this routine building some great abs!!!! Happy i found it

  31. #271
    oatmeal69's Avatar
    oatmeal69 is offline Productive Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    2,271
    It may be that I'm on cycle and dropping fat as well, but this routine is killing it for me too. My abs are hard as rocks, and seem to be growing too.

  32. #272
    Papiriqui's Avatar
    Papiriqui is offline Productive Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,151
    Quote Originally Posted by oatmeal69 View Post
    It may be that I'm on cycle and dropping fat as well, but this routine is killing it for me too. My abs are hard as rocks, and seem to be growing too.
    Well i think on cycle pretty much anything works lol, but definitely this routine works the shyt out of your abs/core.

  33. #273
    Bodacious's Avatar
    Bodacious is offline Productive Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicken All Day
    Posts
    1,991
    Good read

  34. #274
    cruzetor's Avatar
    cruzetor is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    sydney/ seoul
    Posts
    81
    wonderful post. thanks m8

  35. #275
    Stubbs8's Avatar
    Stubbs8 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Land o' lakes, FL
    Posts
    68
    I tried this last night, and failed miserably. It's the side leg lifts I am having trouble understanding. Do you hang straight and move your legs sideways, or do you crunch like the girl in the video? Can't seem to get it. Awesome post tho! Def subscribing to this one!

  36. #276
    gearbox's Avatar
    gearbox is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    5,355
    I do it like the video. I bring my right knee/thigh and touch my left elbow and try to hold for 1 second

  37. #277
    Stubbs8's Avatar
    Stubbs8 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Land o' lakes, FL
    Posts
    68
    Ok thanks. I'm just thinking, my body doesn't bend that way, so I knew I was doing something wrong. I'll give that a go.

  38. #278
    Stubbs8's Avatar
    Stubbs8 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Land o' lakes, FL
    Posts
    68
    Wait, shouldn't your right knee/thigh touch your right elbow? How can you keep your legs straight and not bring your knees up doing this?

  39. #279
    gearbox's Avatar
    gearbox is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    5,355
    I was talking about the hanging side leg lifts.

  40. #280
    Stubbs8's Avatar
    Stubbs8 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Land o' lakes, FL
    Posts
    68
    Right. Sorry I just can't picture it. So I should just do what the girl on the video does, and that's good enough?

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •