zimmaakaviper is offline Junior Member

REPS AND SETS?? i am a noob

Hi

so basicly im very new to weight lifting i just want to know if possible how many reps and set should i be doing??

all so should i start at high weights then reduce the weight or just reps and maintain weight??

so for e.x should i do

1st set 10 reps?
    2nd set 8 reps
    3rd set 7 reps
    4th set 6 reps

or should i revise this

so 1st set 6 reps
    2nd set 7 reps
    and so on...

and what is best for cutting and whats best for bulking

thank you very much and im soo sorry for beeing this noobs

xerxes333 is offline New Member
    It really depends on what your goals are. Since you are just starting out I recommend starting with 3 sets for 8-10 reps. Always try to get 10 reps. If you get more than 10 reps add a little more weight. If you get less than 8 reps drop the weight a little. When you're just starting out you will find your abilities fluctuate day to day and week by week because you body is trying to adjust to the new stimulus. Never limit yourself to a specific set of numbers. So if one day you finish your third set and you still feel good then go a head and do another set.

Quote Originally Posted by xerxes333 View Post
    It really depends on what your goals are. Since you are just starting out I recommend starting with 3 sets for 8-10 reps. Always try to get 10 reps. If you get more than 10 reps add a little more weight. If you get less than 8 reps drop the weight a little. When you're just starting out you will find your abilities fluctuate day to day and week by week because you body is trying to adjust to the new stimulus. Never limit yourself to a specific set of numbers. So if one day you finish your third set and you still feel good then go a head and do another set.
    thank you very much this is very helpful also would you work a specific muscle group each day so say arms one day,legs one day,chest one day,back on day or just do them all in one day??

Iron-56 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xerxes333 View Post
    This. I remember when I first started out I was getting very bad DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness). It may take up to a month for your body to adjust. Your nutrition will take charge of the cutting and bulking. Take my advise and learn your nutrition- it is much more important then the lifting. I believe I wasted, or rather could have made more use of, my first year training because of bad nutrition. Until you get the hang of it, eat 4-5 big meals a day. Eating allot incorrectly is definitely better then not eating enough ! Good luck.
    Last edited by Iron-56; 01-24-2013 at 12:52 AM.

kaptainkeezy04 is offline Anabolic Member
    don't overthink it. as long as you're between 6-12 reps, and they are reps with proper form, you will see results, as long as your nutrition is in order. don't overthink weight training, don't UNDERthink nutrition. keep reading the sticky's in the workout and nutrition section and you will know more than 90% of the people at the gym.

Iron-56 is offline Associate Member
    90% ...sad but true.

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    goals for sure... even with that said you will hit plateau's which will require that you change the routine..

and food.. rest... food..
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

Quote Originally Posted by spywizard View Post
    goals for sure... even with that said you will hit plateau's which will require that you change the routine..

and food.. rest... food..
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kaptainkeezy04 View Post
    don't overthink it. as long as you're between 6-12 reps, and they are reps with proper form, you will see results, as long as your nutrition is in order. don't overthink weight training, don't UNDERthink nutrition. keep reading the sticky's in the workout and nutrition section and you will know more than 90% of the people at the gym.
    thanks

Thread Information