gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~

Dumbbell Pullovers - The Forgotten Exercise?

I almost NEVER see them as part of any routine's today. I scratch my head and wonder why that is? IMO, they're a great 'utility' exercise - done properly, you get a really good stretch in your lats and even upper tri's, and when you bring the weight towards your waist you even hitting a little chest. Perfect exercise for a chest/back split. IMO. I do em' often.

Dpyle is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75
    I almost NEVER see them as part of any routine's today. I scratch my head and wonder why that is? IMO, they're a great 'utility' exercise - done properly, you get a really good stretch in your lats and even upper tri's, and when you bring the weight towards your waist you even hitting a little chest. Perfect exercise for a chest/back split. IMO. I do em' often.
    I do them as my warm up on back day now that my new gym has no pull over machine. Like you said they offer a great stretch in the lats.

Quote Originally Posted by Dpyle View Post
    I do them as my warm up on back day now that my new gym has no pull over machine. Like you said they offer a great stretch in the lats.
    Good to know somebody's doing em'! What kind of weight are you using for warm ups?

Oldandbusted is offline New Member
    A lot of guys now are doing "pullovers" on the cable crossover and lat pull machines.... But it doesn't feel the same to me. I still do them the old fashioned way.

dan991 is offline Anabolic Member
    I use to do them but then started to notice that it wasn't great on your shoulders. The ROM needed to get the full effect of the exercise in your chest puts more strain on your rotator cuff than its worth. So, found alternatives.

beerdogg is offline Associate Member
    I do Dumbbell Pullovers twice a week today and Friday. Been doing them for over a year.

DB1982 is offline Member
    I used to do them too. But like Dan said it puts a lot of strain on your shoulders. Since I'm just coming off a labrum tear. I think I'll steer clear of them for now.

Papa Smurf is offline Senior Member
    Dang................and here I thought that declines were the forgotten exercise!!!

jimmyinkedup is offline Disappointment* Known SCAMMER - Do Not Trust *
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dan68131 View Post
    I use to do them but then started to notice that it wasn't great on your shoulders. The ROM needed to get the full effect of the exercise in your chest puts more strain on your rotator cuff than its worth. So, found alternatives.
    I tend to agree. The prob with this movement if using a single dumbell is the hand position. As soon as you start to get up there in weight, that motion with your hands together like that puts a ton of strain on rotator cuff. Maybe if you use a short straight bar with hands shoulders width apart. I dunno never tried...seems awkward as hell to me.
    I have in the past used it as a warm up like someone mentioned at lighter weight - i do like the stretch.

MickeyKnox is offline Banned
    I used to think they were for chest but now I use them for the serratus anterior muscles and lats. You don't need heavy weight for this exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldandbusted View Post
    A lot of guys now are doing "pullovers" on the cable crossover and lat pull machines.... But it doesn't feel the same to me. I still do them the old fashioned way.
    I've never done em' on anything other than the pullover machine... but even that doesn't feel the same to me.

Examples?

Oddly enough, I don't feel any shoulder strain and shoulders are one of my weakest muscle groups. I don't know what kind of weight people are using though... today for instance, I did 2x12 with a 100lb dumbbell, and 1x12 with 90lbs. Not terribly heavy, but I wouldn't say it's extremely light either.

Quote Originally Posted by beerdogg View Post
    I do Dumbbell Pullovers twice a week today and Friday. Been doing them for over a year.
    Nice!! And have you noticed any difference in your physique since incorporating them into your routine?

Quote Originally Posted by DB1982 View Post
    I used to do them too. But like Dan said it puts a lot of strain on your shoulders. Since I'm just coming off a labrum tear. I think I'll steer clear of them for now.
    With an injury like that, I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Smurf View Post
    Dang................and here I thought that declines were the forgotten exercise!!!
    Decline what - presses? If it makes you feel better, I often do my pullovers on a declined bench!

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyinkedup View Post
    I tend to agree. The prob with this movement if using a single dumbell is the hand position. As soon as you start to get up there in weight, that motion with your hands together like that puts a ton of strain on rotator cuff. Maybe if you use a short straight bar with hands shoulders width apart. I dunno never tried...seems awkward as hell to me.
    I have in the past used it as a warm up like someone mentioned at lighter weight - i do like the stretch.
    I haven't tried either but have seen that movement in videos etc. I might give it a shot just to see if I feel it differently.

For chest this is my routine:

Wide Dips: 1 x Failure (assisted or unassisted) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y7sPW0-sno

Push Ups: 1 x failure to 1 x Failure.

This is a regular push up (with knees off ground). As soon as you get to your failure, drop your knees to the ground immediately and do more push-ups until you can’t anymore.

Freemotion Raise: 1 x 12 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1EmRjDLOa4 Like this, but palms facing up not down like in the video. Also bring palms inward as you are coming up so your hands touch when at the top of the motion while squeeze pecs when you are coming up are at the top. This is killer for lower chest development and a lot better than declines IMHO because its an isolation exercise.

Machine Fly: 1 x 10 heavy

Incline Dumbbell Press: 1 x 6 heavy full rep, and then 1 x failure half rep. I just do 6 full reps with as heavy of a weight as I can go to so at 6 I'm really struggling then blast out half reps till I can't anymore.

No rest between sets, I repeat above x 3 with 3 min rest between repeats.
    Last edited by dan991; 03-04-2013 at 10:44 AM.

My workout looks like this for reps:

Wide Dip 1 x 40
    Push Up 1 x 110 to 1 x 30
    Freemotion Raise: 1 x 12 @ 70-80 lb setting
    Machine Fly: 1 x 10 @ 300 lbs (machine max) This is on the chest fly/rear delt fly combo machine.
    Incline Dumbbell Press: 1 x 6 @ 140 lb dumbbell and then 2-4 more half reps

3 min rest, then repeat x 3
    Last edited by dan991; 03-04-2013 at 10:55 AM.

Dpyle is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75

Good to know somebody's doing em'! What kind of weight are you using for warm ups?
    3 sets.
    35x15
    50x 12
    65 to failure

Do em very slow and controlled and the ROM is from as near to the floor as I can get up to just under the point where you lose tension in the lats. Had to play with it a bit to find it, but I just pressed the dumbbell up off my chest and started the rep real slow to feel where my lats engaged then never brought it past that point on the way back up.

marcus300 is offline ~Retired~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~
    I use to use them but stopped years ago when I pulled something in my rib cage, had to go to hospital for pulled muscle and it fuking hurt, put me on my needs and you guys I know I like pain but boy did it hurt, never done them again.

For chest this is my routine:

Wide Dips: 1 x Failure (assisted or unassisted) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y7sPW0-sno

Push Ups: 1 x failure to 1 x Failure.

This is a regular push up (with knees off ground). As soon as you get to your failure, drop your knees to the ground immediately and do more push-ups until you can’t anymore.

Freemotion Raise: 1 x 12 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1EmRjDLOa4 Like this, but palms facing up not down like in the video. Also bring palms inward as you are coming up so your hands touch when at the top of the motion while squeeze pecs when you are coming up are at the top. This is killer for lower chest development and a lot better than declines IMHO because its an isolation exercise.

Machine Fly: 1 x 10 heavy

Incline Dumbbell Press: 1 x 6 heavy full rep, and then 1 x failure half rep. I just do 6 full reps with as heavy of a weight as I can go to so at 6 I'm really struggling then blast out half reps till I can't anymore.

No rest between sets, I repeat above x 3 with 3 min rest between repeats.
    My workout looks like this for reps:

Wide Dip 1 x 40
    Push Up 1 x 110 to 1 x 30
    Freemotion Raise: 1 x 12 @ 70-80 lb setting
    Machine Fly: 1 x 10 @ 300 lbs (machine max) This is on the chest fly/rear delt fly combo machine.
    Incline Dumbbell Press: 1 x 6 @ 140 lb dumbbell and then 2-4 more half reps

3 min rest, then repeat x 3
    Sorry, I should have been more specific - I was referring to back work, not chest.

Quote Originally Posted by Dpyle View Post
    3 sets.
    35x15
    50x 12
    65 to failure

Do em very slow and controlled and the ROM is from as near to the floor as I can get up to just under the point where you lose tension in the lats. Had to play with it a bit to find it, but I just pressed the dumbbell up off my chest and started the rep real slow to feel where my lats engaged then never brought it past that point on the way back up.
    Exactly same technique I use. That is the one sucky part of the exercise is the shift from back to chest - that is unless you want to hit both. I use the exercise strictly for back and like you, try to maintain tension on lats at all times.

Quote Originally Posted by marcus300 View Post
    I use to use them but stopped years ago when I pulled something in my rib cage, had to go to hospital for pulled muscle and it fuking hurt, put me on my needs and you guys I know I like anal pain but boy did it hurt, never done them again.
    ^^ fixed.

Nice, thx Dan.

marcus300 is offline ~Retired~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post

^^ fixed.
    cvnt

Quote Originally Posted by marcus300 View Post
    cvnt
    ^^

krugerr is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I love pullovers, since I've included them into my workout, I can't say I've noticed any change it gain, but I enjoy the exercise. So I do it anyway.
    Last edited by krugerr; 03-04-2013 at 02:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by krugerr View Post
    I love pullovers, since I've incinerated them into my workout, I can't say I've noticed any change it gain, but I enjoy the exercise. So I do it anyway.
    You must be on an iPhone!

krugerr is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    You must be on an iPhone!
    Ahhh, sh!t, you got me!!

ac guy is offline Associate Member
    Love pullovers as well. I only see 5% or so of other guys doing them.

Flagg is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I've done them in the in the past. I heard they are great for building up those little lumps on your serratus anterior?

Quote Originally Posted by ac guy View Post
    Love pullovers as well. I only see 5% or so of other guys doing them.
    Yep. If you watch old bodybuilding vids and/or read mags, you'll see em' a lot. They seem to have lost a lot of value for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Flagg View Post
    I've done them in the in the past. I heard they are great for building up those little lumps on your serratus anterior?
    Yea, they'll definitely help build up that area that's tough to hit otherwise.

Sicko is offline Senior Member
    Dont do pullovers or dips, they both cause me way to much pain in my shoulder to incorporate them in to my workout.
    I miss the dips, but can live without pullovers.

Thread Information