Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    belva is offline Member

Arms don't grows...

Well I've been training on and off for the past 10 years, and I can say that even now when I traing or I'm on cycle Legs, back, chest and shoulder grows but my arms are still under size around 16 inches. I love compound exercises Squats, rowing, deadlifts, bench press...I trined my arms with seveal different tecniques but still small. I eat around 4000 calories- trying to bulk up to 4500 a day.
    Any advice on how I could train my arms?

largerthannormal is offline Productive Member
    do you have an isolation day for just arms? or are they all compound exercises?

try to decide if you are doing to much or too little.

i know i had the same problem,

many dont realize the tricep makes up the majority of the arm size, dips, close grip bench, skull crushers.

what have your sets looked like ? 10s always? some react better to high sets some react better to low.

what ever your doing try something opposite for a good few weeks. take a measurement before.
    Last edited by largerthannormal; 01-29-2013 at 08:20 AM.

JWP806 is offline Senior Member
    I had the same problem, everything other than my arms grew like crazy. I used to do a split that was like this:
    Chest/tris
    Back/Bis
    Shoulders
    Legs
    Off/Cardio
    Repeat

I wasn't noticing much growth so I added a day where I go back and hit arms twice a week.

Chest/tris
    Back/Bis
    Shoulders
    Off/cardio
    Arms
    Legs
    Off/Cardio
    Repeat

As mentioned above, all of our bodies respond differently so it will just be a matter of trial and error. If something isn't working, change it.

belva is offline Member
    I tried months of isolations (around 9 sets) followed by months working on few reps.
    I have almost the same routhine as JWP806, the first one.

I THINK i will give give hit arms twice and see how it goes.

MarkyMark is offline Member
    are you using a partner to go heavy ? arms are used so much that you can be just working them in almost a anaerobic state ... if they are undersized I suggest going with more of this: bis/tris... chest/back .. quads/hams ... day off.. bis/tris... shoulders / calves .. day off

now with this .. arms are the focus.. granted your chest/back day will be more difficult for heavy weight plus 2 big body parts worked.. so do isolation movements ..

try different things... you will find something that works for you..

krugerr is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkyMark
    are you using a partner to go heavy ? arms are used so much that you can be just working them in almost a anaerobic state ... if they are undersized I suggest going with more of this: bis/tris... chest/back .. quads/hams ... day off.. bis/tris... shoulders / calves .. day off

now with this .. arms are the focus.. granted your chest/back day will be more difficult for heavy weight plus 2 big body parts worked.. so do isolation movements ..

try different things... you will find something that works for you..
    Chest/Back? Are you crazy lol. There is no way if I trained hard, I could do anything else after back. I would agree though that Arms need a seperate day. I tend to chuck in a single bicep exercise after back, and a single tricep exercise after chest. Usually this is 1-2 sets, heavy with a HIT principle. I then will do arms separately 2-3 days later.

Armykid93 is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by krugerr View Post

Chest/Back? Are you crazy lol. There is no way if I trained hard, I could do anything else after back. I would agree though that Arms need a seperate day. I tend to chuck in a single bicep exercise after back, and a single tricep exercise after chest. Usually this is 1-2 sets, heavy with a HIT principle. I then will do arms separately 2-3 days later.
    X2, there's no reason to work back and chest in the same day

copaaz is offline Junior Member
    Yeah, your CNS would be rocked, esp if you go heavy.

MickeyKnox is offline Banned
    1. Weighted dips low reps.

2. Isolation curls and hammer curls - heavy weight low reps.

4 Sets Preacher curls
    3 sets standing dumbbell curls
    3 sets hammer curls
    3 sets concentration curls

Thats not overtraining or alot of sets, although others might disagree. Arms recuperate fast so u gotta just blast them with full range and slow negative.
    If u think its too much or dont have the muscular endurance then get rid of hammer curls. I myself do high volume and this is just 2/3 of a biceps workout.

Good luck
    Last edited by Schwarzenegger; 02-05-2013 at 03:25 AM.

Preacher curls, heavy but with full range all the way down. Armpits level with the pad so very little shoulder involvement. Focus on negative.

Any curl, slowly down on negative and watch them grow.

I have the opposite problem. I dont do arms as much but they keep growing from the other body part workouts. Chest doesnt grow tho lol
    Last edited by Schwarzenegger; 02-05-2013 at 03:32 AM.

MickeyKnox is offline Banned
    Forgot to include. On arm day i always do some shrugs before i begin to help stretch the fascia (not fascial) in the bicep.

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyKnox View Post
    Forgot to include. On arm day i always do some shrugs before i begin to help stretch the fascia (not fascial) in the bicep.
    thats a smart idea, i think ima start incorporating that. Props on the tip

cherrydrpepper is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Preacher curls, Straight bar curls, exhaust with hammer curls and concentration curls. Come back and tell me how they grew. Did this a couple days ago - biceps and forearms are still sore.

OK so use english and on straight bar curls - shoot for strict form on preacher, hammer and concentration. In addition to strict form the bicep contraction needs to be intense like you could practically crack a walnut with the contraction.

You arent growing means a few things

- You aren't getting progressively stronger on exercises over weeks/month(s)]
    - You aren't eating enough
    - The exercise is one you really shouldn't be doing because you don't get a pump off it or a good mind/muscle connection
    - You are hitting the same part of the muscle over years of time because you never change your routine (stagnation and lack of muscle confusion)

Thread Information