Hello
    im from Kingston ON and im trying to put on lean muscle mass
    21 years old
    5 11"
    currently 189 lbs
    BMI not sure, im chubby around the midrift
    ive been checking out the forum alot
    currently im using the body building pendulum workout on this
    forum and i am in week 3 of the first cycle, i also added the "so you want abs" workout as well to work my core
    i play varsity rugby and am taking suppliments
    i take
    Blue star omega pills 2x in morning 2x at night
    Animal training packs pills usually one pack, sometimes 2 if i did rugby and workout

My pre workout supp is
    muscletech neurocore super-concentrated pre-workout stimulant
    mixed with Bluestar purblue creatine

Post workout
    Blue star whey cGMP grade protein shake enhanced with flaxseed, CLA and digestive enzymes
    mixed with allmax 100% pure japanese micronized glutamine (pharmaceutical grade)

I also take glutamine during the day for recovery

I have 3 meals aday, i eat at a mess so i do not prepare my own food, its pretty much the same thing everyday though, there is rice, potatos, green veggies, chicken, fish and a kind of red meat, a pasta bar and salade bar, sandwiches for lunch, breakfest is always either pancakes,eggs, bacon or sausage, french toast, beans, oatmeal or cereal.

Im looking for good advice on techniques, workouts, suppliments, anything to build myself and enhance my performance
    Thank you
    Last edited by Legion714; 01-30-2013 at 01:26 PM. Reason: forgot to mention this

CMB
    CMB is offline Senior Member
    First off, can you really only eat 3 times a day? If so you better eat well, and I mean REAL well each time if you want to put on size. But with that said I could probably have a nutritious diet with what you described to me. Doesn't sound too bad. Stay away from any sugars and try to avoid high concentrations of fat, and eat lots of good carbs and lots of good lean protein, chicken is the shit.

Listen man the question you are asking is so long and complicated I could write books.

Here are some basics to get you going:

For hypertrophy, rep range 10 is best. So in general you'll want to train around this number. For me, 4 sets of an exercise might look like this...

DB bench press
    12 reps 1st set
    10 reps 2nd
    10 reps 3rd
    7 reps 4th

The point here is stick to the 10. From time to time, go to 5 repetitions and 15 repetitions. Bodybuilders should train ALL repetition ranges and ALL fibers to look fullest. HOWEVER, stick around the 10 mostly.

For beginners I recommend a 3 day split. You can rapidly advance to a 5 day split in a matter of months.

Day 1 -- Upper body (all upper body muscle groups including back, chest, deltoids(shoulders) + traps, triceps, biceps. For a begginer, I would train those muscles in that order.)
    rest
    Day 2 -- Lower body (all lower body muscle groups including quadriceps, glutes, hamstrings, adductors and abductors. Exercises like squats and leg press are great, follow them up with some hamstrings curls and lunges and you'll be good to go for a leg work out.)
    rest
    Day 3 -- Full body (including, quadriceps, glutes, hamstrings, back, chest.)
    rest then repeat.

You'd be amazed at what types of gains can be yielded from this training routine if you stuck to it and fed yourself as best you could.

As far as the training specifics go... Each exercise should consist of 3-4 sets. Mostly you'll train the 7-12 repetition range. This means if you are going for 12, you shouldn't be able to get 13 with good FORM.

Form is crucial, keep it well and you'll save time and possibly injury. Your symmetry will be closer.

Work with dumbbells for a good portion of the upper body exercises. These are best for bodybuilding.

Any questions?

Legion714 is offline New Member
    These are awesome tips, currently my workout is very similar to what you have described, im in my fourth week of training and have a planned workout for the next 11 weeks. and yea eating big meals only occurs 3 times aday so i try to eat big but i just got a fridge for my room so i plan on storing some food so i cant eat more during the day

CMB
    CMB is offline Senior Member
    Good. If you have any questions let us know man.

Thread Information