Thread: 5x5's

Psaletta is offline Member

5x5's

If you YouTube 5x5 workouts its almost always a few sets Of flat bench squats and dead lifts. Why is this? Why would you work chest legs back all in one day? I know 5x5 are meant for building strength but 3 muscle groups in a day? Is this right?

Thats the powerlifting split as opposed to bodybuilding. Its counter intuitive to bodybuilders but for powerlifters they compete with those 3 events, bench, squat, deads.

So it all depends if ur focusing on bodybuilding or powerlifting.

Turkish Juicer is offline Knowledgeable Member
    There are different 5x5 routines for bodybuilders.

I have followed such routines in the past and attained good results.

A 5x5 routine that rather serves BB goals would be something like this:

Chest Day Routine 1.0:

Bench Press: 5x5

Flat Bench Dumbell Chest Flies: 4x12

Dips: 3 sets until failure

Chest Day Routine 2.0:

Incline Chest Bench Press: 5x5

Incline Dumbell Chest Flies: 4x12

Standing Cable Crossover Chest Flies: 4x12

This is a basic routine that I developed for myself purely for BB purposes with a very specific goal of increasing power.

The reason why I don't do two press movements in one workout sessions is merely because; a) To get the most of out of one press movement in one session, b) To prevent any potential shoulder injuries, c) To hit the pectoralis major muscle from a different angle during each workout.

Again, you can try to incorporate a second press exercise as some people do and simply rotate their turns during every session BUT BEWARE 10sets of press exercise administered at 90% of your 1MR is though and you will be more prone to both chest and shoulder injuries that way.

It is always finding about what works the best for you.

noon is offline Senior Member
    I have been doing some digging around as of recent to find a 5 by 5 that looks good to me . The problem I am running into is that the routines that seem the best for me and my goals are the ones that call for a day of rest between work outs and I am no where near my gym on the day of the last work out. Is the rest day a necessity

human project is offline Knowledgeable Member~Recognized Member Winner - $100
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Psaletta
    If you YouTube 5x5 workouts its almost always a few sets Of flat bench squats and dead lifts. Why is this? Why would you work chest legs back all in one day? I know 5x5 are meant for building strength but 3 muscle groups in a day? Is this right?
    When you do strength competitions you need to be able to lift every muscle group in one day.... As long as the comp is one day long I guess.... What I've found to be best is doing one comp day very 5-8 day depending on the competition and the events included.

Psaletta is offline Member
    Thanks for all the replies. That makes perfect sense. I have no interest in power lifting so I might try the 5x5 above to build some strength.

Turkish Juicer is offline Knowledgeable Member
    FYI, I doubled the 1MR of my deadlift after having gone through only three 5x5 routines (each 4-6 weeks long) within 1.5 years.

It fuking works...

Thread Information