Psaletta is offline Member

Straight bar vs ez curl

What is the benefit to using a straight bar vs an ez curl bar besides comfort? Does it work the biceps better/different?

manmanman is offline Associate Member
    personally for me i prefer e-z curl because i feel.more comfortable with close and normal grip.

i guess if you do the ROM of each of the two there could be a difference in the movement of the bicep

CMB
    CMB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Psaletta View Post
    What is the benefit to using a straight bar vs an ez curl bar besides comfort? Does it work the biceps better/different?
    The ez curl and straight bar curl are almost the exact same thing. The main difference is the curved handles making it easier on your wrists.

krugerr is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I can't use a straight bar underhand grip for bicep curls. It causes me a lot of pain in the wrist/forearm. EZ bars for me are fantastic, I tend to use them to superset between dumbell curls.

Turkish Juicer is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Straight bar and EZ bar hit the bicep from slightly different angles, difference is hardly noticeable regarding bicep development IMO.

MarkyMark is offline Member
    Yes the straight bar does hit the bicep differently.. I would keep them both.. go heavier with the ez curl bar and do burn out with straight bar..

Soar is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
    Yes the straight bar does hit the bicep differently.. I would keep them both.. go heavier with the ez curl bar and do burn out with straight bar..
    Marky Mark! Can you please explain to me how you gained forty pounds "naturally" for your upcoming film?

OP: I find the same as Krugerr. Ez bar is much better for the wrists

krugerr is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I'm excited about the Lean Gains movie with Marky and Dwayne. Both a really funny guys, and both in good shape!

Soar is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by krugerr View Post
    I'm excited about the Lean Gains movie with Marky and Dwayne. Both a really funny guys, and both in good shape!
    Lol me too! Looks hilarious

marcus300 is offline ~Retired~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~
    Straight bar hit your biceps differently than an E/Z bar, use the one which feels better for you. Many complain about pains in the wrists and forearms with straight bar but boy do they build big arms

I do both but for me straight bar yields better results. Supinate your wrists hard at the top and concentrate on flexing your biceps and make them peak as you hold that position. Most people use too much weight and don't perform it properly and miss out on the biggest benefit of the movement IMO.

noon is offline Senior Member
    I love the short Olympic straight bar at my gym. Works great for me.

cherrydrpepper is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by marcus300 View Post
    Straight bar hit your biceps differently than an E/Z bar, use the one which feels better for you. Many complain about pains in the wrists and forearms with straight bar but boy do they build big arms
    Yeah what Marcus said. Friend had to stop straight bar because it was causing shooting pain in the inner forearm near the joint. He went back to them after a couple months off no complaints. I always put the bar down very slowly. If you drop the bar suddenly it puts stress on the forearm that can cause that shooting pain.

MickeyKnox is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Turkish Juicer View Post
    Straight bar and EZ bar hit the bicep from slightly different angles, difference is hardly noticeable regarding bicep development IMO.
    Agree with this comment.

For me the straight bar causes more discomfort (and in jury for some) than the end result is worth. It causes your hands and wrists to be turned in an unnatural position creating tension on your wrists and forearms that is unnecessary IMHO.

Stand up and allow your arms to to rest at your sides. See how your hands are actually turned inward and facing slightly toward the back? Our wrists and hands are not meant to be rotated outwards to the extremes that are required to lift heavy weight on an Olympic bar. If your looking to hit that area of the bicep, i suggest you do concentration curls and hyper extend your wrist at the top to hit the peak of the bicep. For me, this has been the safest and easiest on my wrist and forearms.

My .02.

Psaletta is offline Member
    Thanks guys! My arms are kinda of lagging behind the rest of my groups and I was thinking of trying the straight bar to see if that will help my peak. My biceps are wide and sit at 17" but have no real peak. I have incorporated preacher curls 21's concentrated curls.. Nada. Ill get a huge pumps but no real peak. Any suggestions would be appreciated! I was also thinking about doing a whole day of arms.. Is that over kill?

Thread Information