Thread: Bulking routine

Rostigaxt is offline New Member

Bulking routine

I am having trouble finding the right routine plain and simple. I started lifting sophomore year of highschool and haven't stopped since. I weighed 185 sophomore year in 2008. I am 232 pounds now. 6'4 and about 13 percent body fat. I have always just aimed for size and strength. I don't care about cutting or anything. I don't do much cardio either. I just want to find a legit routine that maybe someone in the same boat has had great gains with. I have been stuck at 232 for a few months now and my bench press has been 405 for probably 6 months now. No great gains recently

my back,chest grow a lot faster than my arms do. I hit my triceps very hard since they are the majority of the arm.

Has anyone else been in this situation?

I want to find a routine that incorporates just overall size, strength and works the arms very well.

Thank you, any help and advice is greatly appreciated

Turkish Juicer is offline Knowledgeable Member
    It will be my pleasure giving some advise to a young lifter who is seemingly intelligent and self-aware, a profile which we unfortunately not come across with too often on this board.

I will begin by stating that I have a much smaller build than you and thus, we belong to different body types. However, I have also had similar issues in the past where my back, chest and legs grew a lot faster than my arms did, which was an issue that I eventually came over.

As for finding a very specific routine that incorporates just overall size, strength and works the arms very well; this would require you coming up with a hybrid routine that incorporates different methods.

For instance; 5x5 is a great routine for building overall size and strength. I know for a fact it has worked for me in the past and many other people with completely different body types and metabolic rates; it will build strength and size when administered correctly. However, this routine is limited by its applicability to large muscle groups only; therefore, you will have to stick to rather bodybuilding routines for building arms, which roughly refers to a routine that involves 6-12 rep range for biceps and 6-15 rep range for triceps.

If you could provide us with the layout of your arm workout routine, we can take it from there. In the meantime, feel free to ask any questions regarding the process.

Live for the PUMP is offline Senior Member
    On top of what Turkish said... Make sure your incorporating big lifts such as squats and deadlifts on a regular basis. Especially squats! These lifts require almost every muscle group to play a role which is great for bulking. You will be amazed how you can add strength and size to your upper body by incorporating these on a REGULAR BASIS. I speak from experience. Squat to grow.

znak is offline Senior Member
    To bulk use compounds: 6 sets of 10. Pull ups, dips, bench, military, squats and deads. Do it six months. If you are not ready to puke on the last reps of the sixth set, you are slacking.

Work is weight x distance. So if you do 6 x 10 x 225 as compared to 5 x 5 x 305, you have done almost twice the work and the gains will be proportional.

Turkish Juicer is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by znak View Post
    Work is weight x distance. So if you do 6 x 10 x 225 as compared to 5 x 5 x 305, you have done almost twice the work and the gains will be proportional.
    Well, well. Do we have a positivist here.

You should consider the fact that muscle hypertrophy is a notion that has to do with anatomy and laws of physics doesn't necessarily apply in the way you would hope them to.

Rostigaxt is offline New Member
    I appreciate your advice.
    My arm workout i hit triceps with chest on Monday's,
    Close grip bench, skull crushers, seated dips and maybe some overhead extensions or rope pull downs.
    Then I hit biceps with back I do barbell curls, alternating seated dumbell curls and some hammer curls

Is there a place where you would recommend reading about the 5x5?

Thank you dude

Thread Information