Extreme is offline Associate Member

heavy light split each muscle per week

A friend of mine who has been training for years and is certified got this workout from another trainer. He has been using it with great results.

It involves hitting each muscle twice a week. But before you jump, one day you hit a muscle heavy 9-15 sets 6-8 reps, and then hit another muscle light 3-9 sets 20 reps. Example day 1 say heavy chest/light back then maybe day 4 or so heavy back/ light chest. Sounds interesting considering the theory of working two different muscle fibers fast and slow twitch once a week.

I have tried it some and kind of like it. What do you guys think. Is it still over doing it, is there enough rest for the muscle. Has anyone had experience with this type of training.

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    You can easily overtrain using that method, to me it all dpends on how much of an advanced lifter you are. If it's working for ya stick with it, i could be a good change of pace. Personally speaking I believe unless you're on gear it's still overtraining.

I am on my wheaties right now.

flexgolf is offline Member
    definitely overtraining...unless uve got the juice
    -mmmmmm juice agggghhhhhh

Wha about the fact that you are working two totally different muscle fibers. Heavy reps for the slow teitch and high reps for the fast twitch. I might have go them backwards. I would like to see some more discuccion on this. Any mods/vets.

flexgolf is offline Member
    dont take this as being a fact. i understand ur attempt to work different muscle fibers. i think its inevitable to work one muscle fiber type without working the other, to some extent they are worked simultaneously. i believe i can find some documentation of this...

come on lets get some more debate

i know someone has something to say

yellows2k is offline Member
    Theres a type of training that follows that route called Active Recovery, but still, 24 sets for a body part is still too much......

no opinions huh. bump

withoutd0ubt is offline Associate Member
    extreme-- if you are doing this and liking it and seeing results then keep doing it

i usually do what yellows was talking about by doing an active recovery, it just gets some blood moving in the already torn down muslces to allow faster recovery, works great for me

what so you mean exactly by doing an active recovery

withoutd0ubt is offline Associate Member
    on back day, i'll do like 2 light sets of chest to get some blood moving in my chest, then on chest day i'll do 2 light sets of back to get some blood flowing in there to get nutrients to those muscles

i'll be really sore one day and then the day after that im drastically less sore

That is kind of what he is doing but doing more like 3-6 sets. I think i might stay with just dorp down to 3or 4 sets on the light exercises. Plus I am on a cycle right now started three weeks ago.

Over 100 views does anyone else have some debate.

bump

cdog is offline Associate Member
    I think this would be a good way to jump start something but It looks to me that there is just to many sets on the working days .Also Flexgolf had it right when he said that the fast and slow fibers are worked simultanteously so I dont think doing a routine just for the working of the fast or slow fibers would be of a great advantage. I think you should at least try it but drop some of the sets on working day.I dont know what bodyparts that your thinking of hiting 2 times a week but if they are compound movements make sure to get your rest and eat...............CDOG

solidj55 is offline Member
    Originally posted by flexgolf
    definitely overtraining...unless uve got the juice
    -mmmmmm juice agggghhhhhh
    Not always overtraining. I did a two time per week routine, heavy and light and didnt overtrain, and I was natural. It just depends on how you do it. If you want a good heavy/light split go under yahoo and look for Ed Coan(one of the best powerlifters ever)Bench Press routine. Or you could do some searches under periodization.

Thread Information