Thread: quad sweep

dane26 is offline Retired Moderator

quad sweep

here's the prob..my legs are big, but lack a good sweep. they have good depth and my hammy's are well developed, i just can't get a good sweep. i know my squat is plenty deep, since i use a beeper most of the time. any suggestion?

dumbells101 is offline Senior Member
    The shape of your quads are genetic. you see some with great sweeps and some so so. There are a couple exercises I'd suggest. First of all the front squat keeping your toes facing forward and not out plus your feet no more that a foot apart. Second try supersetting a hack squat with toes in leg extensions. The hacks can be hard on the knees so you may need to stay moderate on the weight, but if you again keep your toes pointed straight and then go right into isolating the outer quad by pointing your toes in on the ext. you'll hit them pretty hard. Deep squats are good but will focus more on the hips and glutes once you get beyond parallel. The cornerstone of most bb's legs are squats but if you're like me then they've built a hefty bootie on you too. I get a lot more out of my squats with my toes straight and a feet about 8 inches apart. I will also use a smith machine when perfroming squats this way. Hope this helps you a bit.

thanks bro. i squat heavy, and yes, i got quite a booty. the girls loves it though. i'll try you're suggestions. i already have the size, i', just trying to add some shape. thanks for the help

StrongChick is offline Female Member
    Dane,
    My ex had the most INCREDIBLE legs....he's known for them around here And he swears by leg extensions to give them definition and that nice teardrop. I'm sure genetics have alot to do with it, but if you think about it no other excersises give you the movement that the extension does. Good Luck!
    StrongChick

MarkyMark is offline Member
    Good advice DB..... oh Strongchick as well ...

I have found that sometimes it may be just bf% ... I have trained a few that had noticeably BF deposits in the thigh area ... cutting up a bit may show more shape than you might have thought ....

Cutting up can completely changes ones physique .... so can AS ... I train one guy that when he's on his body shape completely changes .....then he stops for a couple months starts looking like a normal guy then wants to start all over ....( these are the ones I dont like training to well ..... they want the look ... when they fell they have it , they stop and have to start over later.... )good luck

XBiker is offline Retired Vet
    I agree with both of them here.

I too do squats, front squats, and leg extentions.

Since I ride, I do not hit the calves to much, as they don't really need to much work. They are not that big, but I concentrate on my upper legs.

I actually eased off the squats a little and went more toward front squats and leg extentions to slaughter the quads.

The way I guage if it is working or not is this....

When I walk out of the gym, does it feel like I have a piece of string tied to each big toe, making me walk funny. If so, it was a good night at the gym.

Tobey is offline Retired IRON CHEF Mod

Getting that sweep

Dane,
    I use to teach a body sculpting course where the majority of the exercises that we did were lunges. When I was asked to head up this class at first I did so just for the motivation of working out with some of the most beatuilful women in the gym but it was not long afterwards (about 4 months) I begin to notice the most incredible sweep in my upper thighs. They got so big that I would have trouble finding jeans that fit in the waist and allowed my legs to comfortably fit in the jeans. Try them, Their great!

You can also try placeing both of your feet together on the hack squat with heavy weight. Be careful though as you can really feel this movement in your knees while you are working out.
    Tobey

Big Al is offline Retired Moderator
    Feet position are key to building a good our thigh. I would agree with Tobey.

Ms Figure is offline Retired Moderator
    Leg extensions are a MUST!! what everyone else has said is correct but you must throw leg extensions in they really isolate the teardrop muscle too!
    Ms Figure

MarkyMark is offline Member
    Btw ... don't take my post personal .... I didn't mean anything by it ... was just another idea not brought out ....

But true Lunges work wonders ...good luck bro

steelblazin is offline Junior Member
    for my outer sweep, i use the 45 degree leg press with my toes about 2 inches above the platform and legs about 8-10 inches apart. also, if you have access to a super leg press by lifefitness, that machine is the heat for sweep! i've brought my quads out to the point that buying regular pants are a pain in the a..!

steel

Jenna is offline Female Member
    please explain to me what the "sweep" is someone......

<<<< JENNA >>>>

if you're looking at the legs from the front, the sweep is the outermost side of the leg. from the hip to the knee. it should be round and should "sweep" out from the hip and down to the knee

Jenna is offline Female Member
    Originally posted by dane26
    if you're looking at the legs from the front, the sweep is the outermost side of the leg. from the hip to the knee. it should be round and should "sweep" out from the hip and down to the knee
    Oh ok - yea, I know that part. Thanks.

<<<< JENNA >>>>

Thread Information