Hulking2016 is offline Junior Member

Bench 3 times a week?

I was wondering if training bench 3 times a week would give me good results for strength gains or if I should just stick with 2 times a week

lucabratzi is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulking2016 View Post
    I was wondering if training bench 3 times a week would give me good results for strength gains or if I should just stick with 2 times a week
    Are u working other parts of ur body? If ur Doin chest 3x a week it doesn't seem like you're leaving much time for other body parts. And you're other muscle groups do play a part in increasing bench not just chest

RipOwens is offline Member
    Long time ago I used to do chest 3x a week, and while I did make good gains in both adding size and strength, I was indeed neglecting other parts as luca ^^^ mentioned.

songdog is offline ARs TOP DOG ~ MONITOR ~
    They do that in the 5x5 routine and it works.But they only go heavy 1 day.

tigerspawn is offline Senior Member
    What does your training sched look like? What exercises are you using on chest days?

Turkish Juicer is offline Knowledgeable Member
    You can most certainly bench 3 times a week; however, you shouldn't go heavy at each and every session, which you won't be able to anyway. Your bench technique better be near perfect if you are going to do this, as properly warming up your upper-body before hitting the bench press is a must. Otherwise, you will be looking at 3 sessions of physiotherapy every week.

Performing heavy squats and deadlifts regularly is a proven better method of increasing overall pull and push strength at any rate.

Euroholic is offline "ARs Pork Eating Crusader"
    The dude at my work is big and strong but his a bit fat his bf is probs around 20% his work out routine is.

M- bench,squat,deads
    T- rest
    W- bench,squat,deads
    T- rest
    F- bench,squat,deads
    S- bis/tris
    S- rest

Turkish Juicer is offline Knowledgeable Member
    ^^^ I don't see how one can remain natty and still pull off EOD routine as such, especially if he goes heavy. It is likely that he is on Test at all times, and some HGH also; otherwise pace of regeneration will never catch up to this routine and hence risk of injuries will increase without a doubt.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    Is your chest lagging?

If not, I'd say 3x a week is overkill/overtraining. This is about every other day. Muscles grow at rest. Will this give you enough rest to allow your chest muscles to grow?

-Ender- is offline Not Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulking2016 View Post
    Total overkill. You should be able to damage a muscle group in one training session to the point that you would not even attempt to train that muscle for at least 4-5 days.
    to be able to train the same group 3 days a week means that you are not hitting it hard. Either that or you are bound for a major injury.

-Ender- is offline Not Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Euroholic View Post
    The dude at my work is big and strong but his a bit fat his bf is probs around 20% his work out routine is.

M- bench,squat,deads
    T- rest
    W- bench,squat,deads
    T- rest
    F- bench,squat,deads
    S- bis/tris
    S- rest
    this is bullshit. what are his stats? doing this heavy? no way.

Quote Originally Posted by Turkish Juicer View Post
    ^^^ I don't see how one can remain natty and still pull off EOD routine as such, especially if he goes heavy. It is likely that he is on Test at all times, and some HGH also; otherwise pace of regeneration will never catch up to this routine and hence risk of injuries will increase without a doubt.
    2nd that. I do legs twice a week n that's only cuz they're lacking. My chest is hurting for 2-3 days when I hit it ON CYCLE (only.once a week roughly)... but my chest workout is like this.

All 1 to 1 n half min breaks

Flat bench/
    normal grip/
    (Main lifting style as below for all types and bar grips given)
    increasing to Max reps for given weight. 3*12-15 reps 4th set utilizing bumps (no bumps increase on each rep). I.e 1then2then3 etc etc.

Incline bench/
    Normal grip/
    Repeat lifting style *

Flat bench/
    Wide grip(really wide)
    Roughly 75% of normal.grip weight

Incline bench
    Wide grip(really wide) yes. Ur wrist hurt. Try resting the weight more on the meet between thumb and forefinger. I grip the collar coupling pieces)
    Roughly 75% of normal grip weight.

By this time you will be seriously fatigued. Big time.

Below is a personal style added by trying to pinpoint working pretty much only my pectoral minor(although does no doubt hit front felt slightly). I focus on squeezing out on the chest only.

Now on to cable machines. 4sets. Cables attached low. Kneel in pray position with toes between two cable points. And 'clap' around forehead height (I do this to increase my upperchest. U may want to concentrate on lower or main chest where u can attach on upper points crossing the cables in front of u).

N I work this hard on all muscle groups. I gain strength and size weekly.
    But!!
    Im not you. Noones the same. U must self monitor and if no change to ur body. Change ur routine.

Scottsdale is offline New Member
    Such a vague question, but there is no standard time of recovery. When the muscle (and secondary muscles) are recovered, you can work them out again. If you are lifting like an old lady, you can probably do chest every other day. However if you are bulking and running a respectable lifting regimen, I'd do chest once a week. It's also relevant to diet and off-time. off-days allow your broken down muscles to absorb more nutrients and recover quicker. There are also joint and tendon benefits to taking it easy on any particular muscle and allowing for them to fully recover, otherwise you'll develop tendonitis (virtually anywhere you apply excessive and prolonged torque) and find yourself backing off a particular range of motion. Trust me, let your muscle children rest and feed them plenty.

Jon_Tren_Yin is offline New Member
    It really depends what his lifting weight is at, because when someone's new they can definitely do any exercise multiple times a week in order to work on their CNS and technique.

I will agree, though, that at a certain point it's TOUGH AS HELL to work the same muscles EoD without some sort of AAS helping you recover. The last part I don't really know too much about, since I haven't ran any, but I figure it helps a lot with the recovery time.

Thread Information