Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By tigerspawn

Thread: Head up when benching

Hulking2016 is offline Junior Member

Head up when benching

Have seen a lot of people that deal with heavy weights on the bench put there head up when coming down with the weight as if they are watching the bar touch their chest, why do they do this? Does this help with lifting heavier?

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    are you sure it's intentional?

crazy mike is offline Banned for repping Dangerous Substances
    If I do it is to watch the bar and to move in both directions with control. …crazy mike
    “Oldest Juicer on the Forum”

RipOwens is offline Member
    I don't think I've ever seen this...

tdoe11 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy mike
    If I do it is to watch the bar and to move in both directions with control. …crazy mike
    “Oldest Juicer on the Forum”
    Haha nice. Oldest juicer i saw that one

Java Man is offline Known Troll
    I've never seen anyone do this either. Arch the back, yrs I've seen that and we all know that's bad for your spine but I doubt if lifting just.your head will hurt anything. Make you lift more? Doubtful. Try it.
    Last edited by Java Man; 06-09-2013 at 11:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RipOwens
    I don't think I've ever seen this...
    Well I have plenty of times

Quote Originally Posted by Java Man
    I've never seen anyone do this either. Arch the back, yrs I've seen that and we all know that's bad for your spine but I doubt if lifting just.your head will hurt anything. Make you lift more? Doubtful. Try it.
    So you shouldn't Arch your Back? I always see the record holders do that and all the huge and strong people at my gym

Brazensol is offline Productive Member~ Recognized Member Winner - $100
    Now that I stop to think about it I raise my head some times. I have no idea why I do it though. Doesn't seem to cause any negative issues that I'm aware of. Maybe it's to make eye contact with the bar to let it know who's boss... lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Brazensol
    Now that I stop to think about it I raise my head some times. I have no idea why I do it though. Doesn't seem to cause any negative issues that I'm aware of. Maybe it's to make eye contact with the bar to let it know who's boss... lol.
    Maybe lol

Quote Originally Posted by Hulking2016 View Post
    So you shouldn't Arch your Back? I always see the record holders do that and all the huge and strong people at my gym
    Good argument. I'm skinny, weak, and young so what do I know about the stress that places on your spine. Other people do it, so it must be ok? You go through life making decisions this way?

Here's one link regarding lumbar stress caused by arching your back during bench presses. I have lumbar problems because I was one of those idiots who just shrugged it off when I was young. You'll find plenty more regarding this of you google it.

Preventing the Arching of Your Back During a Chest Press Exercise | Healthy Living - azcentral.com

MakeEveryRepCount is offline Junior Member
    I do it unintentionally as I'm watching the weight come down. Shitty thing is when I'm lifting heavy the muscles in the front of my neck tense up really bad. I would think you would be collapsing your wind pipe a bit and it could affect breathing. Been trying to focus on not doing this anymore but longtime habits can be hard to break.

skaz915 is offline Member
    I've seen this many times as well and wondered the exact same thing. I tried it myself to see and it just felt unnatural to me and actually seemed to put more stress on my neck

largerthannormal is offline Productive Member
    As a competitor i advise NOT to bring your head up, great way to tweak the shit out of your neck/back.

Keep in mind powerlifters use their entire body to lift the weight they arch to turn the lift into a decline bench which lets you use addition muscles hence making it easier.

If you are trying to build muscle do not arch, i keep my feet on the bench 90% of time to prevent this ass and shoulder blades planted

I see some guys at my gym i could do a dive roll between them and the bench and not even touch. drives me nut!

tigerspawn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Java Man View Post
    I have lumbar problems because I was one of those idiots who just shrugged it off when I was young.
    The bro logic behind the assumption that pain is good causes me to shake my head. I overheard an older gentleman informing his teenage grandson that, “pain is good and it means that you are doing it right.” Kid was rubbing his elbow and saying that it hurt. I watched them as they worked out and kid was clearly hyperextending his arm during preacher curls.
    Java Man likes this.

Brazensol is offline Productive Member~ Recognized Member Winner - $100
    No pain, no gain. Problem is there is more than one kind of pain. I do wished I had paid much closer attention to form when I was younger and first starting out.

Quote Originally Posted by tigerspawn View Post

The bro logic behind the assumption that pain is good causes me to shake my head. I overheard an older gentleman informing his teenage grandson that, “pain is good and it means that you are doing it right.” Kid was rubbing his elbow and saying that it hurt. I watched them as they worked out and kid was clearly hyperextending his arm during preacher curls.
    Sometimes u gotta step in. I'd rather be called a wanker than not pass on the knowledge if I think it'll help

Quote Originally Posted by largerthannormal View Post
    As a competitor i advise NOT to bring your head up, great way to tweak the shit out of your neck/back.

Keep in mind powerlifters use their entire body to lift the weight they arch to turn the lift into a decline bench which lets you use addition muscles hence making it easier.

If you are trying to build muscle do not arch, i keep my feet on the bench 90% of time to prevent this ass and shoulder blades planted

I see some guys at my gym i could do a dive roll between them and the bench and not even touch. drives me nut!
    I'll add that competitive powerlifters are trained professionals who are doing that during a competition. What you don't see are these people doing their everyday training - the 99.2% of the rest of the year when they aren't trying to break a record. They don't arch their back daily. They know how do do it when it counts, even at risk of injury, and know how to minimize that risk while getting every ounce of power out of that single day that may very well keep their family fed.

A race car driver doesn't drive his street vehicle on public roads like he's driving Le Mans.

Quote Originally Posted by largerthannormal

Could I just not arch my back because I'm not a big fan of putting my legs up unless it will benefit me greatly. Will it ?

John Cluso is offline Banned
    they may pull something

fbomb1990 is offline New Member
    sounds like simple bad form to me. Lifting up your head during a bench is begging for an injury.

Mechanic is offline New Member
    if your watching guys do this on online vids they might be benching in a bench shirt, when the shirt binds up at the bottom they lift there head up a bit it seems to help the weight touch, i dont think it its a good or bad thing if your doing ir raw just know that if you plan on competing some feds allow it others not.i just keep y eyes on the bar all the way down it helps keep me tight.

arching your back is fine i would think, the more arch in your back the shorter the range of motion the bar takes=more
    weight lifted. you could always look up the elitefts so you think you can bench vids dave tate does a pretty good job explaining everything.

mastablasta7 is offline Associate Member
    When i bench alot of weight i tend to lean my head forward because it seems to help me breath better and feels more comfortable. It hasn't hindered my form at all so i say do whatever feels comfortable.

mastablasta7 is offline Associate Member
    O and it does look like im watching the bar go down to my chest but that isn't what i am doing, I am just trying to breath better because when my head is flat on the bench it somewhat constricts my air tube.

largerthannormal is offline Productive Member
    I do agree and I know, like i said I compete as well so I do see it. A few of the guys who compete with me arch daily ( not saying its smart)

Of course the flat bench is only a small part of what i use to train to lift the weights i do..

Quote Originally Posted by Java Man View Post
    I'll add that competitive powerlifters are trained professionals who are doing that during a competition. What you don't see are these people doing their everyday training - the 99.2% of the rest of the year when they aren't trying to break a record. They don't arch their back daily. They know how do do it when it counts, even at risk of injury, and know how to minimize that risk while getting every ounce of power out of that single day that may very well keep their family fed.

A race car driver doesn't drive his street vehicle on public roads like he's driving Le Mans.

THINKBIG is offline Junior Member
    Slight arch in back feet planted firmly and I raise my head a little mostly breathing and watching bar have hit 500 no shirt and never had any problems with my neck it helps me stay balanced tried it tonight to see why I do it.

MakeEveryRepCount is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by THINKBIG View Post
    Slight arch in back feet planted firmly and I raise my head a little mostly breathing and watching bar have hit 500 no shirt and never had any problems with my neck it helps me stay balanced tried it tonight to see why I do it.
    DAMN IT! I've been doing it wrong all along...

Haha. J/k bud, 500 is very impressive!

Thread Information