yeahbuddy289 is offline Knowledgeable Member

Scared of tearing achillies tendon

My calfs need some serious help (14.5") I have been training them hard twice a week but the past couple weeks I have been completely freaked out about tearing my achillies tendon for some reason. It makes me cringe when I think about it and I havent even been able to get a good calf workout in because its all i can think about and it really kills my intensity and desire to work them. Is this a pretty common injury if your lifting heavy with calfs or no? Put my mind at ease guys lol

nafnlaus is offline Banned
    it takes approx 20 tonnes worth of force(mg), yes 20.000kg x 9,82m/s2 to pull it apart. and why on earth would you isolate calves?

itsjayman02 is offline Member
    There are a few things that may tear your Achilles

In my case it was just pushing off to run....... So not a lot of force is needed if for instance you are over 30 or been cycling for a few years!!

Mine actually snapped in 3 places and required surgery the next day !!

nafnlaus is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by itsjayman02 View Post
    There are a few things that may tear your Achilles

In my case it was just pushing off to run....... So not a lot of force is needed if for instance you are over 30 or been cycling for a few years!!

Mine actually snapped in 3 places and required surgery the next day !!
    improper warmup will easily tear it

itsjayman02 is offline Member
    Unfortunately you don't warm up to run for the bus !!

In my case haha!!

Far from massive is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Like any body part, warm up thoroughly, and slowly increase weights and reps and you will not be likely to have a sudden severe tear. I see cycling mentioned...I used to race road bikes and during this time had some minor tearing due to overuse (was training 400-500 miles a week) this is more an annoyance deal where if you take time off they mend on their own.

As far as a severe tear I would be more concerned that underdeveloped muscles and tendons would put me at risk more than any cautious training of the calves. Just don't jump on a seated calf raise machine and start grunting as hard as you can and/or bouncing the plates and you should be fine.

yeahbuddy289 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Alright thanks guys... i do a few warm up sets and always work my way up in weight. And nafnlaus, how else am i going to get my calfs to grow if im not targeting them?

Thread Information