restarting gym after 20 days off

monday i will start gym after 20 days off due to an injury so do i need to start directly my usual workout or should i train in a different way for some time and then return to my workout??

Innervision is offline Associate Member
    Muscles have great memory so I would jump into your old routine, however I would hold off on the weight you were using and start lighter and ease into it.

temperoath is offline Junior Member
    I'd probably feel like ass and jump back full force. Your muscles will be crying for a few days though, so make sure your only lifting each once a week. I once read a study about taking time off and its effects on muscle atrophy and strength loss. They tested a few weighlifters, and made them lay in a bed for three weeks, with no exersise, just food and necessities etc. It concluded that after three weeks, none of them got any smaller, or weaker. I just thought that was pretty interesting, the mental barrier will probably make you feel weaker and smaller !

Originally posted by temperoath
    I'd probably feel like ass and jump back full force. Your muscles will be crying for a few days though, so make sure your only lifting each once a week. I once read a study about taking time off and its effects on muscle atrophy and strength loss. They tested a few weighlifters, and made them lay in a bed for three weeks, with no exersise, just food and necessities etc. It concluded that after three weeks, none of them got any smaller, or weaker. I just thought that was pretty interesting, the mental barrier will probably make you feel weaker and smaller !
    yea man today was my first chest day and i benshed exactly the same weight but 1 reps less i think it is ok i did few chin ups 2 and it was i dont think i lost strenght

NeedPaintoGain is offline Junior Member
    Man, I wouldnt just jump back into the old workout, its amazing how much you can lose in just a few weeks. I say use moderate to heavy weight for about 2 weeks, then jump back into your old routine, unless you feel you can just jump back into your old routine. I took off for like 3 weeks and when I went back, I was maxxing out with stuff I usually warmed up with. 2 weeks back in and i was putting up more than what I used to, but i needed time to get used to it again.

Thread Information