Thread: Hand placement

TJ413 is offline New Member

Hand placement

Question about the hand placement for barbell bench press I'm tryin to get my chest really to stick out n b big. Does the hand placement make a difference?

drake4243 is offline Member
    In my opinion it makes no difference at all. Hand placement overall is way overrated a lot of people end up griping to wide because they are told that’s how to hold the bar during big lifts even though it is outside their comfort zone and it only end up tearing their shoulders apart, grip the bar where you are comfortable and strong. However squeezing the bar very tight could help you increase chest size.

Thanks drake for the response ill try to squeeze as tight as I can. I usually place my pinky on the ring n bench works pretty good for me jus need more size..

starscream is offline Associate Member
    My opinion about chest size is that it's maybe not better but definitely beneficial at the very least to be doing lots of flys and pec deck.. To me, the bench press is (like the name implies) a pressing movement and therefore using a lot of triceps.
    I say if you are looking to increase your bench press (competition lifter or just for your stats) then by all means do your bench press! But if you are looking strictly to increase chest size. Use movements that better isolate the pecs and focus on the CONTRACTION of the muscle rather than just pressing weight. I like to use less weight and fully visualize the contraction of the individual muscle group I am training.. However, admittedly this is a "works for me" situation and what works for me, might not for you.

-KJ- is offline Productive Member
    A lot of people have their grip too wide thinking thats what is needed. Slightly wider than shoulder width i think is the best position. When the grip is too wide the chest does not get a full contraction! So closer the atms the better. Remember the pec brings the arm down and across the body

Thanks guys for the response I guess ill jus have to do it myself n c what works best for me

fbomb1990 is offline New Member
    Actually, if you want a more defined chest, you should utilize a wider grip.

-KJ- is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fbomb1990
    Explain!

PurpleOnes is offline Associate Member
    I would suggest to watch tnations bench press tutorial it kinda shows the hand position and maybe you can improve your overall bench press for and get some new tips.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1e4Jp34iPQ

Also other video that you may find helpful is from series so you think you can bench by Dave Tate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHx1gYTA-Rw
    Last edited by PurpleOnes; 07-24-2013 at 12:05 PM.

Thanks for the vids. I've been squeezing my shoulder blades together n really trying to contract. My chest is still sore since Monday

RipOwens is offline Member
    Yeah, I'm lost on this too. You want definition? It's all about body fat.

fbomb1990 is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RipOwens View Post
    Yeah, I'm lost on this too. You want definition? It's all about body fat.
    You see the closer you place your hands the more you incorporate tris and shoulders, but if you want to hit chest more going wider will incorporate more chest. It also allows the chest to contract more.

nafnlaus is offline Banned
    narrow for triceps, wide for the pecs. incline bench seems to be that sculpting exercise many like for the tits

You see the closer you place your hands the more you incorporate tris and shoulders, but if you want to hit chest more going wider will incorporate more chest. It also allows the chest to contract more.
    Apologies, I took defined too literally. Agree on all points.

skaz915 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fbomb1990 View Post
    agree 100&

I've read that hands jus outside shoulder width is the way to go? I jus did chest yesterday n I had placed my pinkies on the ring or is that to wide?

Quote Originally Posted by TJ413
    I've read that hands jus outside shoulder width is the way to go? I jus did chest yesterday n I had placed my pinkies on the ring or is that to wide?
    That's fine in my book, just lift!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RipOwens

That's fine in my book, just lift!!!!
    I lift 5 days a week!!! Jus trying to get help on my weaker muscle groups try to figure out to maximize size gains

Thread Information