Venom is offline Productive Member
    Hey guys, I am constantly training for civil servant tests and one of the challenges is having to run a mile and a half in 11:58. I time after time keep developing shin splints from running, to the point where I had to cancel the last test I was preparing to take because they hurt so bad.

I'm looking for any advice on ways to prevent or alleviate the pain from shin splints. I'm sure it's a mixture of running itself, the style of shoes, and the surface you run on that causes shin splints but I can't seem to get rid of them. My next test is October 19th and they are already starting to bother me so I would appreciate any advice offered. Thanks!
    Last edited by Venom; 09-21-2013 at 07:46 AM.

Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    Have you had your running style analysed and been fitted for the correct shoes?

On cycle?
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

gearbox is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I have delt with mine for over a year. Took 8 weeks off didnt really help much. Mine were caused by inactivity then I immediately started running.
    How I cope
    Buy two shin sleeves then wrap them with electrical tape. Electrical tape is awesome cause you can wraps pretty tight but it stretches well when you bend down or move. And obviously ibuprofen

BIGTIMEPUSH is offline Associate Member
    Man I def know what your feeling... I had them in high school during football, my junior year I had such pain during two a days I could barely walk. After finally going to the trainer he told me I should maybe go to the hospital for an e-ray or MRI. The following day I went into radiology and loan behold stress fractures all up my shins... Shin splints untreated will get you here!! When you feel pain while running it is actually your muscle tearing from your bone, and in untreated cases like mine the muscle will actually pull tiny pieces of bone with it. Hence the fractures... The doctor gave my several stretches to do, and told my to ice them after a workout. After babying them for about a month I was fine... The main stretch I used was to stand and take all your weight onto one leg and with the other leg (the one with no weight) bring your foot up as far towards you with you toes pointed up while keeping you leg straight. Then after a slight hold at the top bringing it as far down with your toes pointed down... I would do this about 30 or 40 times per leg... The doctor told me to stop if I felt pain, an that in mind if I were you I would maybe think about the oliptical so there is no impact until you have your test. Hope this helps.

RLR
    RLR is offline New Member
    Definitely ice and rest will help. This is an overuse injury. I'm sure there are some people on here that will have more to say. I've seen this treated several ways. What BIGTIMEPUSH mentions is a good weight stretch that works the eccentric motion which can help with some overuse injuries. I've seen some runners also use a towel and push down with their toes to help build up the muscles in the front of the shin. But you can't go wrong with some ice and rest.

Euroholic is offline "ARs Pork Eating Crusader"
    Do you have flat feet? Sounds like a case of MTSS

starscream is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Euroholic View Post
    Do you have flat feet? Sounds like a case of MTSS
    ^^^that is what I was going to say!

Arch support insoles help me a ton

pasha is offline Associate Member
    you will cure your shin splints when you gain more muscle in your calves... i had then bad.. stated training my calves big time.. went away..

Thread Information