0kriz is offline New Member

deadlift. quadriceps or hamstring ?

hey, so im studying to be a personal trainer and it looks like my books tells something different than the internet.

Im my book is says that deadlift mainly are done by glutes, quadriceps and erector spinae, but on internett most places says glutes, hams and erector spinae.

can anyone explain what muscles that are being used, and why?
    Last edited by 0kriz; 10-16-2013 at 06:01 AM.

evander87 is offline Senior Member
    Can't explain why but when I do deads I get the sorness and pump all the way from my calves, hamstrings, glutes, lower back traps and delts.

What book are you studying? In the "Essentials of Strength Training and Conditioning" for your CSCS they say it hits your glutes and hams?

0kriz is offline New Member
    We use the Norwegian athletic university mandatory book. It's a book which illustrates exercices and explain how to do it, why to do it, what muscles are activated etc... Its kinda frustrating cause i cant find anything on the internet that says that quadriceps it one of the main muscles in deadlift.

largerthannormal is offline Productive Member
    I believe they are all used, they are just activated at different levels at different ranges in the motion to different degrees. I think you could spend all day looking for the answer. but really everything is used.. in order and how much activation i dont know.. also may be different by who and how they are performed.. tests would have to be done all assuming the same from and fashion are used and stance.. way to many variables IMO

almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    For me, it depends on the the type of DL. Straight leg deads seem to hit my hams more... Romanian deads seem to involve the quads more. It's probably due to a combo of the weight placement and my lifting technique...
    Last edited by almostgone; 10-24-2013 at 03:39 AM. Reason: I are not good speller

noitangidni is offline New Member
    The deadlift has many names: SLDL, RDL, CDL are all variations of the DL. So your book and the internet are both correct in that essence.

If you're specifically talking about the CDL (Conventional dead lift) then assuming the individual has proper form, the quads, the hams, and the calves are assisting in the beginning part of the lift (with proper lockout of the arms and the lats, you should be doing a reverse leg press off the ground). After the bar reaches past the knees (different for taller people i know), your hams, glutes, and lower back finish off the lift (you should be squeezing those ass cheeks so tight that you could hold a piece of paper in between them).

Thread Information