easterbunny is offline Junior Member

workout suggestions?

Hello, I wanted to post my workout and get some feedback if I can... I do 2 workouts; lets call them Workout 1 and workout 2. Each workout focuses on a main lift (bench/squats or deadlifts). I use dumbell for the bench as I workout alone and dont have a spotter... I also dont use gloves, straps or belts, just chalk for deads. I also dont use, nor have ever used gear, with the exception of peptides, and that is sporadic.

Workout 1
    Dumbell Bench (weight is each hand)- 35Kg x7 32.5x8 30x10
    Barbell Squat (parallel or below) - 100x8 90x8 80x8
    Accessory exercises - leg press; calf raise; triangle cable push downs; cable chest flys.

Workout 2
    Deadlifts - 140x4 160x1 150x3 140x3
    Accessory exercises - chinups; pull ups; bicep curl (21's); shrugs; cable rows.

Im currently cutting (going fine - diet is good), and can do these workouts 3 times per week, alternating weeks. Ie; Workout 1/2/1; then following week is Workout 2/1/2 etc etc.

I have no issues losing fat, and maintaining strength all without cardio, just focusing on diet alone. Attempting to reach some sort of natural level before thinking of trying a cycle... Im in my early 30's, and been working out for several years, though sadly only discovered barbell squats and deads in the last 12 months -.-. - strength there has shot up plenty.

RipOwens is offline Member
    What are your goals? Weight loss? All-around fitness? Looking to pack on some muscle mass?

"I'm currently cutting (going fine - diet is good), and can do these workouts 3 times per week, alternating weeks. Ie; Workout 1/2/1; then following week is Workout 2/1/2 etc etc."

Fat-loss (whilst maintaining strength). So I'm in a calorie deficit.

Oops, sorry...my eyes jumped past that. I personally don't think there's anything wrong with an all-over workout multiple times a week when you are first starting out, but if you've been lifting for years there might be a better way for you.

I just wonder if you have enough exercises to stimulate major muscle groups. #1 only hits chest twice and shoulders don't get much work directly in either. Ever consider a basic upper/lower body split? Just my thoughts

Brett N is offline Senior Member
    What you got isn't much different than Starting Strength or Stronglifts. Have you looked at either of those? They are great for beginner to intermediate lifters.

Both are basically Squats, Deadlifts, Rows, Bench and Shoulder Press. Not all same day.

Stronglifts -

Day 1 - Squat,Overhead Press, Deadlift
    Day 3 - Squat, Bench, Barbell Row
    Day 5 - Same as 1

....etc

They also have a great app for phone (tracking) and a very good support team of videos on youtube. All free. You can subscribe and join their "inner circle" but I have never done it.

yeah, it is basically stronglifts. the calorie deficit makes 5x5 impossible, so I'm just keeping the 3 main lifts as the focus, with some accessory exercises for fun. I mean hey, any exercise after dead-lifts is fun. After I am happy with my cut Ill add another split as I bulk again.

I didnt realize you could sign up to stronglifts for free, ill give it a go.

Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by RipOwens View Post
    Ever consider a basic upper/lower body split? Just my thoughts
    I used to do typical bi/back; tri/chest; legs/shoulders. That way at least deads (back) and squats are at opposite ends of the week. Is that the sorta thing you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by easterbunny
    I used to do typical bi/back; tri/chest; legs/shoulders. That way at least deads (back) and squats are at opposite ends of the week. Is that the sorta thing you mean?
    Yeah, that's what I meant but you're on track, just keep it up. Good luck!

Thread Information