Blog Entries

Unstable workouts good or not?

Saw some guy at the gym doing dumbbell overhead press with one foot extended out and balancing on the other leg. I've seen other people do similar exercises where they (i guess) are trying to engage their core stabilizers while performing the reps. I think p90x2 has a lot of this type of workouts.

Is there any benefit to this?

Idk but am I wrong to think its better to have a stable base, perform the exercise, and then if you want to work out your core do that separately?

Anybody have any input or opinions on this?

DeadlyD is offline Anabolic Member
    Imo it depends what your goals are, seems those exercises are more for core strength and conditioning.

ickythump is offline Member
    Deadly is completely right, you can't connect with the muscle they way you need to got growth, however in athletics especially with agility and lateral movements that is the highest level of strength, manipulating working weights on unstable surfaces and on one leg

Blog Entries
    haha yea i guess it depends on their goal (if their goal is to be a ballerina).

I cant be messing around with weird sh**, I'll stick to the basics and focus on gains.

chaps is offline Associate Member
    If we're talking about weird stuff to engage the "core", I think anything other than front squats, one arm farmers walks, planks and standing BB press is just plain silly. If it looks dumb it probably is. People find all sorts of ways to justify dumb stuff.

Thread Information