Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sweatymoo

Thread: Effective split?

sweatymoo is offline Junior Member

Effective split?

I haven't even started working on the lifts or rep ranges. How's this sound?
    MON: squats (leg work)
    TUES: back
    WED: rest
    THURS: chest/shoulders
    FRI: deads/squats

I know it's very vague... I'm kinda looking for fill in the blanks answers

Ok, good talk

RipOwens is offline Member
    Personally, I don't like the idea of chest/shoulders on the same day. Too large of muscle groups to train effectively IMO. How about something like:

Mon, legs
    Tues, back
    Wed, rest
    Thurs, chest
    Sat, shoulders

If you throw in arms you can do biceps w/back and tris w/shoulders.

Rip,

Thanks for replying man!!!
    pumping_iron86 likes this.

DontTaseMeBro is offline Member
    I think you can do chest and shoulders together. As stated above, they are pretty large muscles to train together; but some people do well with a 3-day split like chest & shoulders, legs & back, biceps & triceps. A lot of the lifts like bench press and incline incorporate both chest and shoulders to one degree or another. Of course, the triceps also come into play to an extent. Probably the best way to find out is to try and see how it works for you. If you find that you run out of time or energy before you can hit them both effectively, try splitting them up for a few weeks and see how it works. good luck!

Beethoven is offline Productive Member
    I personally don't like to do two large muscles the same day. I'll do a chest and tri, or shoulders and bi but chest does hit some delts and you wouldn't be able to do the last one with the same intensity IMO.

Thanks DTMB!!!

pumping_iron86 is offline Junior Member
    I didnt see arms in the mix bro. I definitely understand people that would be against my split as I am DEFINITELY hittin two major muscle groups at one time.

Chest/Shoulders
    Bi's/Tri's
    Legs/Back
    Repeat

Ive personally always worked out this way and made ALL my gains this way.

I dont work abs because I feel they recieve sufficient work through other exercises...

Also I personally never include rest days. Rest days happen on their own whether we like it or not. Car messes up, girlfriends bitchin, stayin late at work, these things.

What about
    M. Legs
    T. Back
    W. Chest
    T. Bi's Tris
    F. Shoulders/Traps/Calves
    Sat/Sun Rest

Anyway just my thoughts. Good luck partner...
    Last edited by pumping_iron86; 01-14-2014 at 11:16 PM.

Awesome_Archy is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pumping_iron86 View Post
    I dont work abs because I feel they recieve sufficient work through other exercises...
    so, why are you pushing for an arm day?

Quote Originally Posted by Awesome_Archy View Post
    so, why are you pushing for an arm day?
    You dont work arms? Whats your point guy? I aint pushin nothin on nobody just sayin what I hav found successful for myself. Your abs recieve enough stimulus to develop with other excercises and show through w a good diet and cardio. If youre on this site my guess is youre trying to build size strength etc. With those goals in mind why wouldnt u work arms? Unless the dudes a boxer and needs alot of core work but I didnt read that on his post did you?
    Last edited by pumping_iron86; 01-15-2014 at 09:05 PM.

Awesome_Archy is offline Associate Member
    i do work arms, my point is that you are saying that you work your abs enough doing other exercises throughout the week. Now the only exercises that are going to work your core are going to be heavy compound movements and if your doing enough compound movements to not require any abdominal work you must be doing enough compound movements to be adequately working your arms. That's all I'm saying

Quote Originally Posted by Awesome_Archy View Post
    i do work arms, my point is that you are saying that you work your abs enough doing other exercises throughout the week. Now the only exercises that are going to work your core are going to be heavy compound movements and if your doing enough compound movements to not require any abdominal work you must be doing enough compound movements to be adequately working your arms. That's all I'm saying
    People tend to have different goals for the two body parts. You can achieve typical abdominal goals ie strength and definition, relying on yes the compound movements from other exercises. You are less likely to reach typical goals for your arms ie good size strength and definition, without specifically working them. Still not following you...
    Last edited by pumping_iron86; 01-17-2014 at 10:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pumping_iron86
    I didnt see arms in the mix bro. I definitely understand people that would be against my split as I am DEFINITELY hittin two major muscle groups at one time.

Chest/Shoulders
    Bi's/Tri's
    Legs/Back
    Repeat

Ive personally always worked out this way and made ALL my gains this way.

Also I personally never include rest days. Rest days happen on their own whether we like it or not. Car messes up, girlfriends bitchin, stayin late at work, these things.

What about
    M. Legs
    T. Back
    W. Chest
    T. Bi's Tris
    F. Shoulders/Traps/Calves
    Sat/Sun Rest

Anyway just my thoughts. Good luck partner...
    Iron,
    Thanks a ton for the reply... I like the split, and you are definitely spot on with the rest days. They come and go as they please and unfortunately incorporate themselves without much thought from us. You sound like you have had much success with a "do what you can do when you can do it" mind set, I like it! Thanks again

Thread Information