Audiofreak37 is offline Junior Member

My minimalist workout plan for a balanced body

Hi guys,

I want to share with you one of the workout routines I've used over the past couple years... It's incredibly simple, and that's something very important when starting out- it allows you to focus on your form, and make every rep count, whilst minimizing your time in the gym for increased intensity. Understand that this plan is not catering specifically for sarcoplasmic hypertrophy, but more to build a solid foundation of strength and size for you to build upon. It's put about 35 lbs of quality muscle on my frame over the last 2 years naturally, and has made me significantly stronger than most of my gym.

Split routines are fantastic when you're on cycle and/or have been lifting for some time and know how hard you can push yourself...but for the first couple years, a full body workout is one way to ensure you have a balanced body, without muscular imbalances, that can hold you back and has a potential for injury.

Always practice with your best form. If you cannot lift the weight with good form, you cannot lift it. Rest no more than 90 seconds in between sets. Always use free weights- stay clear of the machines, including the bloody assisted squat rack...and for the love of all things holy, break parallel on your squats.

Monday - Workout A
    Tuesday - HIIT Cardio
    Wednesday - Workout B
    Thursday - HIIT Cardio
    Friday - Workout C
    Saturday - HIIT Cardio
    Sunday - Rest

Workout A, think of this as your vertical day

Front Squat
    Overhead Press
    Weighted Pull-Ups (remember, pronated grip)

Workout B, think of this as your horizontal day

Deadlift
    Bench Press
    Barbell Row

Workout C, think of this as your arm day

Back Squat
    Weighted Dips
    Weighted Chin-Ups (remember, supinated grip)

Rep and Set parameters are as follows:

Warm-up with 12 light weight reps
    8 heavy reps, you want to ideally struggle on the last rep
    6 heavy reps, increase the weight by the smallest increment from previous set
    12 reps with a moderate weight. Drop the weight by approximately 20-25%.

*If you got that last rep on your heavy 6 set, increase the weight by the smallest increment for next week. If not, try again at the same weight. If you miss it 3 weeks in a row, I deload by 5-10 lbs and work my way back up. This is a normal part of the program and is necessary to become stronger.

After the workout, spend 5-10 minutes stretching. Treat it just as important as the actual lifts because it will increase your flexibility (helping you perform all these complex and compound movements) and will help you BUILD muscle as you tear the muscle fibers.

HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) revolves around the idea that greater intensity = greater results. If you look at a sprinter, they look pretty muscular when compared to a marathon runner. There's lots of information online about this, google is your friend. You can switch this up as you please, whether it be run, swim, cycle, etc. 10-15 seconds as fast as you can, and then 30-45 seconds either at a resting pace or at a full stop, depending on the exercise. The entire workout will only be approximately 15 minutes in duration. After this is a great time to perform some supportive exercises- for example if you find your core strength is the first thing to fail on your primary lifts, train your abdominals and obliques. Weak calves? Now's the time.

Don't brush off the cardio- Cardiovascular training is vital to any successful workout plan. It will keep the fat at bay, help you train harder on your workout days, and it trains the most important muscle of all- your heart. You're not going to miss out of any muscle mass by training this way as long as your diet is in check.

Enjoy them gains,

~Audiofreak
    Last edited by Audiofreak37; 05-12-2014 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Typo

Blog Entries
    What type of HIIT are you performing in between the workout days?

Just about every form of HIIT involves legs, which would mean you are basically working out legs every day.

Audiofreak37 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hellomycognomen View Post
    What type of HIIT are you performing in between the workout days?

Just about every form of HIIT involves legs, which would mean you are basically working out legs every day.
    I can run, but I don't sprint because I have an ankle issue... So in order of preference I swim, row, skate (I used to play hockey), or cycle.

Thread Information