JOHNKANDI222 is offline New Member

Strength endurance

Hi there, just wondering if it would be ok to do a few sets of push ups every morning when i get up just to improve my endurance for that body weight exercise. I do heavy weight training every day, different muscle group everyday with maybe 1 to sometimes 2 days rest a week so pretty much a 5 day routine. I'm just wondering if doing this at home when I wake up will interact/effect my gym routine. I usually keep between 4-5 reps with heavy weights while in the gym to build strength, but in terms of instant endurance Im horrible. I can barely do 25 push ups I would like to improve this to at least 50 real full form pushups as well as keep strength training in the gym is this ok or is there a way to incorporate both.

Thanks in advance for the info.

kronik420 is offline Anabolic Member
    if your goal is too be able to do more push ups, then do more push ups....

well my goal is to be strong as possible in terms of functional strength so I do big compound lifts everyday, but using different muscle group everyday to give me enough time to recover. I find however that I do not have any endurance. So my main question is not only for push ups but any type of lift. So is there a way to build extreme strength aswell as endurance at the same time? Like i can bench 265lbs x10 and do around 75lbs x12 tricept skull crushers and I only weight 180 lbs, but yet I can only do like 20 full pushups maybe 25 if I really giver all I got which is pathetic. So how can improve both strength and endurance. You said just do more pushups. Should this be done by incorporating it into my chest/tricept days as part of my routine, Or should i take a different approach and instead do them everyday in the morning for maybe 1 set till failure, so I could have the rest of the day to recover for the evenings workout .

And also as much as i say that i do want endurance for all other excersises which is true. But what i meant by this is i would like to have better endurance for all my body weight excersises. And i guess a bit more emphesis on push ups, cause ill be honest and I should really care about this but... Even though my lifts in the gym arent too bad. The other day a friend of mine challenged me to a push up contest and I was so emberessed that I could only do 25. And pull ups i can only maybee do like 10.

Sorry about going on and on, I must sound like a broken record here.

Point is I want to keep lifting hard everyday cause A) I love lifting B) I think i get much better strength improvements doing heavy compound lifts which i doubt i could achieve with body weight exercises.

But I do want to have great numbers with body weight excersises. So id like to be able to do many push ups and pull ups ect. So Can i have the best of both worlds. If so how can I do this.

Thanks.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    if your goal is, like most of ours here, to grow muscle fiber and get bigger, then only exercise any particular muscle group no more than 2x a week. if you are exercising that muscle group correctly, then daily pushups on top of that would be overtraining, and would negatively impact muscular growth.

I usually train 1 muscle group a week usually goes like this:
    mon: chest/bicep
    tues: back/abs
    wed: shoulders/triceps
    thru: uphill sprint/Cardio
    Fri: OFF DAY
    Sat: Legs
    Sun: OFF DAY

My Goal is not really focused on my aesthetics or size of my body but on the Atheletic performance of it.
    My #1 priority is Strength. I want to be as powerfull as can be.

Priority #2 is endurance for body weight exercise or any type of lift for that matter.

So my focus is on (STRENGTH ENDURANCE) so my goal is having great endurance(AKA REPS) WITH INCREASING WEIGHT (STRENGTH PORTION OF IT). I dont understand why this is hard to understand. I see guys at the gym all the time who arent bulk monsters but just got an extremely fit body who are all muscle. I usually see them doing huge lifts like deadlifts at like 350 even 400 lbs and large weight on all other lifts, but yet i always see them at some point go do some pull ups and they can rip like 30 of them off in a row. Pushups are the same deal. I see them doing like 50 plus push ups in a row. But yet there strength in terms of lifts are through the roof. That is for there size, i mean they look like they weight maybe 180-200 at most but pure unbelievable muscle they look so riped. And i realize some huge steroid monsters can lift way more but i doubt can do more than 10 pull ups or 20 push up. Ill ask again Does anyone Know how to get best of both worlds(strength and endurance) or is everyones goal on this forum to get huge and thats it??
    Last edited by JOHNKANDI222; 05-22-2014 at 01:57 PM.

Thread Information