Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Does barbell benching have its place in body building?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by yeahbuddy289 View Post
    I use to exclusively barbell bench on chest day but I injured my shoulder (outside the gym) and I have been using dumbbells for chest ever since because its easier on shoulders. But the gym I go to only has dumbbells up to 100lbs. I am able to do those pretty easy flat benching so I have been using dumbbells for inclines then doing flat barbell benching. I am manly interested in adding size to my chest and my shoulder has been tolerating it well but I dont want to injury it. Do you guys think I would see better results if I was able to dumbbell bench with more weight or is barbell benching an effective tool for building a good chest?
    Current chest routine:
    Incline dumbbells 3 sets- 1 feeler set then 2 drop-set sets
    Flat barbell bench3 sets -1 heavy set, 2 drop-set sets
    Incline flies- 3 sets, 2 are drop sets
    Both will build the chest. So will push ups. IMO the weight is irrelevant as long as the intensity is there. If you can max out the dumbbells with ease then try doing the reps slowly and focus on time under tension. At first doing the set slowly is kind of a pain and probably more psychological to over come most everyone becomes used to the steady lift tempo but trust me you will see that those 100lbs will feel heavy as hell real fast when going at a slow tempo.

SEOINAGE is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by davesah1 View Post
    I know what you mean man, its literally an issue for me. The best I can do for form improvement preventing shoulder pain is lower the bar below the nips on the flat bench. Its been a bitch for years dude. I'm not a fan of DB's either bc of the whole grabbing them and moving them. Much less annoying and satisfying stacking 45's. I'm trying TB500 now and since my shoulder pain is on and off for the most part I have high hopes. Will be logging it.
    I bring the bar to the top of my abs, basically the first part that when you press your abs out it bulges. Hopefully the TB500 can work, but it might help to have an expert who might be able to see better what is going on help you out. Lately I have been dealing with bicep tendinitis which I think is caused by squatting, I need a wider grip but can't with my power rack, i don't get these problems when using a squat stand for instance. But it comes and goes usually as I am squatting heavier.

One really strange thing I found back during my shoulder problems was that doing dumbell over head tricep extensions really aggravated the shoulder. I had been doing them religiously and with really heavy weight prior, since therapy I dropped them entirely and never brought them back, I believe I was likely doing them wrong and letting my shoulders rotate and get in a bad position.

Little strange things on exercises not necessarily related could contribute to the problem. Even for a while I did too much 2 board bench pressing, then I had problems with flexibility down to my chest for a while, needless to say i do a lot of the standard moves now and less variations of movements.

davesah1 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SEOINAGE View Post
    I bring the bar to the top of my abs, basically the first part that when you press your abs out it bulges. Hopefully the TB500 can work, but it might help to have an expert who might be able to see better what is going on help you out. Lately I have been dealing with bicep tendinitis which I think is caused by squatting, I need a wider grip but can't with my power rack, i don't get these problems when using a squat stand for instance. But it comes and goes usually as I am squatting heavier.

Never had tendonitis, but I imagine its a pain in the ass.

One really strange thing I found back during my shoulder problems was that doing dumbell over head tricep extensions really aggravated the shoulder. I had been doing them religiously and with really heavy weight prior, since therapy I dropped them entirely and never brought them back, I believe I was likely doing them wrong and letting my shoulders rotate and get in a bad position.

These never bothered my shoulder. The worst pain comes from doing "superman" flyes. I never do them, not worth it.

Little strange things on exercises not necessarily related could contribute to the problem. Even for a while I did too much 2 board bench pressing, then I had problems with flexibility down to my chest for a while, needless to say i do a lot of the standard moves now and less variations of movements.
    Yeah definitely, no need to get all exotic on exercises honestly, diet is another thing lol. I've seen some guys do some weird shit, but their always small, while the hulk like figures stick to the basics for the most part. IMO, don't make the exercise more complicated then it needs to be just make it more intense to tickle that pickle.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information