• 1 Post By Docd187123
  • 1 Post By tarmyg
  • 3 Post By almostgone
  • 1 Post By Docd187123
  • 1 Post By Docd187123
  • 1 Post By Times Roman
  • 1 Post By almostgone
  • 1 Post By almostgone

Thread: Is there a certain program/routine for lifting for looking like fitness model ?

asddsa is offline New Member

Is there a certain program/routine for lifting for looking like fitness model ?

Basically the title. I don't want to be scolded by anyone I just want to ask something-

If you are a beginner and your goal is to look like a fitness model, why would starting strength; ICF 5x5; Stronglifts be the best "proven" programs for beginners when they are strength oriented ? I would appreciate if someone helps me on this one.

bump

Docd187123 is offline Banned
    Dude really? A 1 hour bump. Give people time to answer. They have lives outside the forum.

The short answer is no. Fitness model look is basically a very small bodybuilder with low body fat. So just don't get too big and get your bodyfat into the low double digits or high single digits.

Quote Originally Posted by Docd187123 View Post
    Dude really? A 1 hour bump. Give people time to answer. They have lives outside the forum.

The short answer is no. Fitness model look is basically a very small bodybuilder with low body fat. So just don't get too big and get your bodyfat into the low double digits or high single digits.

So what routine should I take on ? I don't think that ICF 5x5; SS; SL are oriented towards my goal....

Quote Originally Posted by asddsa View Post
    So what routine should I take on ? I don't think that ICF 5x5; SS; SL are oriented towards my goal....
    If you're a beginner or novice I suggest Starting Strength or a similar program. If not I'd suggest a more advanced program like Texas Method or 5/3/1 Westside, etc. It's not so much the training program that's going to give you the fitness model look but your diet and body fat.
    almostgone likes this.

If you're a beginner or novice I suggest Starting Strength or a similar program. If not I'd suggest a more advanced program like Texas Method or 5/3/1 Westside, etc. It's not so much the training program that's going to give you the fitness model look but your diet and body fat.
    Does a training split like legs/push/pull rest legs/push/pull work the same for my goal - the frequency is 2x a week each muscle group

Khazima is offline Knowledgeable Member
    It's more about diet than it is training, for training you just need to find what works for you. Regardless strength is an essential base for building muscle. Fitness models just eat a lot less food than bodybuilders and take different drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Khazima View Post
    It's more about diet than it is training, for training you just need to find what works for you. Regardless strength is an essential base for building muscle. Fitness models just eat a lot less food than bodybuilders and take different drugs.
    Let's say that my nutrition and diet is on point and I am in a position to lean bulk and after doing so I will cut whatever I want to show more definiton, but for the lean building phase I need a program oriented for hypertrophy and aesthetics, I don't think I would benefit much from the "proven" beginners routines for my goal - training for looks. Thanks in advance

Let's say that my nutrition and diet is on point and I am in a position to lean bulk and after doing so I will cut whatever I want to show more definiton, but for the lean building phase I need a program oriented for hypertrophy and aesthetics, I don't think I would benefit much from the "proven" beginners routines for my goal - training for looks. Thanks in advance
    So don't get strong then? If you're actually a beginner you're overthinking this WAY too much, you just need to get in the gym, hit the big compound movements and build a solid base.

tarmyg is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Why would you not benefit from a proven beginner program? You are a beginner, use a program for beginners, stick to it and you will have progress. The program I told you to Google (and yeah, Mark is a friend of mine so I push him a bit extra) will 100% work if you stick to it but so will also all the programs that Docd187123 told you about because YOU ARE A BEGINNER!
    Docd187123 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tarmyg View Post
    Why would you not benefit from a proven beginner program? You are a beginner, use a program for beginners, stick to it and you will have progress. The program I told you to Google (and yeah, Mark is a friend of mine so I push him a bit extra) will 100% work if you stick to it but so will also all the programs that Docd187123 told you about because YOU ARE A BEGINNER!
    So, because I am a beginner, a push/pull/legs/rest repeat (2x week frequency of muscle grps) is just as beneficial ? No less results than SS ?

So, because I am a beginner, a push/pull/legs/rest repeat (2x week frequency of muscle grps) is just as beneficial ? No less results than SS ?
    A full body routine 3-4x a week would yield better results.

Any program works for a beginner bc they're not adapted to training. The question is which one works best. SS has you adding 5-10lbs on your squat each workout in the beginning and you squat 3x per week so that's 15-30lbs you're adding to your squat each and every week until progress stalls. Very few programs can match this for beginners.

almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Any program works for a beginner bc they're not adapted to training. The question is which one works best. SS has you adding 5-10lbs on your squat each workout in the beginning and you squat 3x per week so that's 15-30lbs you're adding to your squat each and every week until progress stalls. Very few programs can match this for beginners.

.....and it is fantastic for teaching humility.
    tarmyg, Docd187123 and Khazima like this.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

Quote Originally Posted by almostgone View Post
    .....and it is fantastic for teaching humility.
    For sure AG. Very basic compound lifts and done in a manner of progression that will leave you exhausted after the first few weeks lol.
    almostgone likes this.

For sure AG. Very basic compound lifts and done in a manner of progression that will leave you exhausted after the first few weeks lol.
    Thanks for the replies, but in case I want to go with p/pl/l/r repeat why wouldn't it yield the same results provided that is has all the compound lifts ? And if so, can you guys direct me to a famous, beneficial one ?

tarmyg is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the replies, but in case I want to go with p/pl/l/r repeat why wouldn't it yield the same results provided that is has all the compound lifts ? And if so, can you guys direct me to a famous, beneficial one ?
    We have detailed why you could pretty much do anything at your level and be successful. If you are so determined to run something you have in your head I suggest you do so and stop wasting peoples time.

Re-read post #13. You're getting a case of paralysis by analysis. If you don't like the advice given pick a program you like and just do it. As stated by myself and several other people here, the program itself is secondary to your nutrition for your goals.
    almostgone likes this.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    Basically the title. I don't want to be scolded by anyone I just want to ask something-

If you are a beginner and your goal is to look like a fitness model, why would starting strength; ICF 5x5; Stronglifts be the best "proven" programs for beginners when they are strength oriented ? I would appreciate if someone helps me on this one.
    I think a beginner, instead of trying to look like someone else, should really focus on themselves.

If you want to look like a thin body builder (or anything else for that matter), you need to have a plan. Kapeesh?

I just checked your profile, and I don't see any stats, except your age, so sorry, I can't make a plan for you.

But the idea is to see where you are, and then craft a plan that will help you get there. if you are fat, then a slimming plan. If you are skinny, a growth plan.

And almost every exercise program out there says "and make sure your diet is on track", but fails to address this critical issue. This issue is equally as important as the weight you lift.

The general idea is to eat how you want to look. If you want to look cut and tight, then you need to eat the foods that will support that.

Now back to your question.

If all you are concerned about is appearance (nothing wrong with that), then forget about the powerlifting mindset. You still need to learn the basics (squats, deads, MP), all the standard compound exercises. Remember to maintain excellent form, and if you are finding you need to compromise your form to perform, then drop the amount of weight.

Suggest heading on over to the nutrition section and posting up your diet so we can take a look and make recommendations. Please include your macros per meal and total macros per day, and include your TDEE.

We will also need your stats

Height
    Weight
    AGe = 18
    Body Fat% (estimate if you do not know)

See you over there

---Roman
    asddsa likes this.

Machdiesel is offline Anabolic Member
    The same could be said for any low volume/high frequency routine. Persoanlly if some one is more into Bb/physique P/P/L off and repeat would be a better starting routine. Only thing SS Will provide better is a bigger squat, but PPL will yield a better looking physique and equal strength gains on all other lifts

Example
    Push
    Bench 3x10
    Military 3x10
    dips - 2 failure sets
    Pull
    Lat pulldown 3x10
    Any row 3x10
    Deadlift every workout untill you stall, then every other
    Any bicep curl
    Legs
    Squat 3x10
    A leg curl 3x10
    Calves 3x15
    Thrown in abs wherever you want. 90 seconds between sets. Once you achieve the 3x10 add Weight
    Last edited by Machdiesel; 08-30-2014 at 10:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    I think a beginner, instead of trying to look like someone else, should really focus on themselves.

If you want to look like a thin body builder (or anything else for that matter), you need to have a plan. Kapeesh?

I just checked your profile, and I don't see any stats, except your age, so sorry, I can't make a plan for you.

But the idea is to see where you are, and then craft a plan that will help you get there. if you are fat, then a slimming plan. If you are skinny, a growth plan.

And almost every exercise program out there says "and make sure your diet is on track", but fails to address this critical issue. This issue is equally as important as the weight you lift.

The general idea is to eat how you want to look. If you want to look cut and tight, then you need to eat the foods that will support that.

Now back to your question.

If all you are concerned about is appearance (nothing wrong with that), then forget about the powerlifting mindset. You still need to learn the basics (squats, deads, MP), all the standard compound exercises. Remember to maintain excellent form, and if you are finding you need to compromise your form to perform, then drop the amount of weight.

Suggest heading on over to the nutrition section and posting up your diet so we can take a look and make recommendations. Please include your macros per meal and total macros per day, and include your TDEE.

We will also need your stats

Height
    Weight
    AGe = 18
    Body Fat% (estimate if you do not know)

See you over there

---Roman
    Sorry I can't post it where you asked me to but it is crashing a lilttle bit when I go to the nutrition section:

Age-17; 65-66 kilos ; 175cm; Body fat - I am thinking in the range of 14-18

Background - Lost 25-30 kilos last summer for 2 months and a half ( really bad and in an unhealthy way but I was depressed how fat I was - that's why my goal is looks, thanks for understanding that Roman). But basically that left me a bit skinny fat.

From what I have read for my situation it would be best to lean bulk until I get some muscle mass (aim for 2 pounds a month gain) and then when I have some muscle mass I will cut to get ripped. I would like to know your input on that too, if you may.

My nutrition is basically in check - I have found my range of maintenance - 2500 calories and was planning on adding 250 as a slight surplus for lean bulking. I will be using a 40/40/20 split p/c/f - I know that that much protein is not required but I really enjoy chicken breasts so if it is not a problem I would like it.

I think there is no point of me posting up my diet because I read that I shouldn't be eating specific amounts of p/c/f at a specific time - the only thing that matters is getting the daily totals before the end of the day.
    But I will let you in on my source - 100 % whole foods, as I said I am on track with nutrition but the training aspect confuses me big time, because I want to train hard and much, and "proven" beginners routines like SS; ICF I think emphasis more on strength than on looks.

PROTEIN- cottage cheese, chicken breasts, egg whites,
    Carbo- Oatmeal; White rice; and vegetables - mostly tomatoes because I have access to garden ones at the moment
    Fats - fat form the chicken breasts ; raw almonds and egg yolk.

That's from me, hope I am not ***** up and deep gratitude for your time.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10592590_819349848105434_1088560544_n.jpg 
Views:	657 
Size:	166.9 KB 
ID:	152748

swolehead is offline Member
    I recommend beginners to do 15 to 20 reps to establish motor neuron recruitment and muscle memory it makes sense if you think about it

Euroholic is offline "ARs Pork Eating Crusader"
    If your not eating for size you wont get big.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    Sorry I can't post it where you asked me to but it is crashing a lilttle bit when I go to the nutrition section:

Age-17; 65-66 kilos ; 175cm; Body fat - I am thinking in the range of 14-18

Background - Lost 25-30 kilos last summer for 2 months and a half ( really bad and in an unhealthy way but I was depressed how fat I was - that's why my goal is looks, thanks for understanding that Roman). But basically that left me a bit skinny fat.

From what I have read for my situation it would be best to lean bulk until I get some muscle mass (aim for 2 pounds a month gain) and then when I have some muscle mass I will cut to get ripped. I would like to know your input on that too, if you may.

My nutrition is basically in check - I have found my range of maintenance - 2500 calories and was planning on adding 250 as a slight surplus for lean bulking. I will be using a 40/40/20 split p/c/f - I know that that much protein is not required but I really enjoy chicken breasts so if it is not a problem I would like it.

I think there is no point of me posting up my diet because I read that I shouldn't be eating specific amounts of p/c/f at a specific time - the only thing that matters is getting the daily totals before the end of the day.
    But I will let you in on my source - 100 % whole foods, as I said I am on track with nutrition but the training aspect confuses me big time, because I want to train hard and much, and "proven" beginners routines like SS; ICF I think emphasis more on strength than on looks.

PROTEIN- cottage cheese, chicken breasts, egg whites,
    Carbo- Oatmeal; White rice; and vegetables - mostly tomatoes because I have access to garden ones at the moment
    Fats - fat form the chicken breasts ; raw almonds and egg yolk.

That's from me, hope I am not ***** up and deep gratitude for your time.

Name:	10592590_819349848105434_1088560544_n.jpg 
Views:	657 
Size:	166.9 KB 
ID:	152748
    Your break even calories (TDEE) is about 2,500 cals/day. You need a minimum 150 grams of protein per day. If it were me, I'd target 3,000 cals/day at 200 grams/protein/day.

I'm assuming a moderate activity level and 18% body fat. No, I didn't look at the pic.

And........

Mate, until the cake says Happy Birthday with 18 candles on the cake, I'm going to have to mention your membership needs looking at. Have to be 18 to post on the board. You can be any age to come here and read.

In the mean time, here is a very basic nutrition plan I've crunched out for you

Peace

---Roman

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	177 
Size:	100.8 KB 
ID:	152771

Please come back when you are 18. Nothing personal, OK?

Quote Originally Posted by Machdiesel View Post
    The same could be said for any low volume/high frequency routine. Persoanlly if some one is more into Bb/physique P/P/L off and repeat would be a better starting routine. Only thing SS Will provide better is a bigger squat, but PPL will yield a better looking physique and equal strength gains on all other lifts

Example
    Push
    Bench 3x10
    Military 3x10
    dips - 2 failure sets
    Pull
    Lat pulldown 3x10
    Any row 3x10
    Deadlift every workout untill you stall, then every other
    Any bicep curl
    Legs
    Squat 3x10
    A leg curl 3x10
    Calves 3x15
    Thrown in abs wherever you want. 90 seconds between sets. Once you achieve the 3x10 add Weight
    The program you listed will in no way, shape or form have you at the same numbers as SS would. As to the efficacy towards one's goals, there's more room for debate but the differences between programs for beginners and eliciting sarcoplasmic hypertrophy would be negligible. I've personally tried both and always favored SS over any other type of program for beginners/novices.

The program you listed will in no way, shape or form have you at the same numbers as SS would. As to the efficacy towards one's goals, there's more room for debate but the differences between programs for beginners and eliciting sarcoplasmic hypertrophy would be negligible. I've personally tried both and always favored SS over any other type of program for beginners/novices.
    D~mn......and here I am w/o my dictionary.
    Docd187123 likes this.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

This is confusing, and when I look at various training techniques thread, it get's even more confusing
    Last edited by asddsa; 09-03-2014 at 01:17 AM.

So, bottom line : I should do something like starting strength for a few months and then go to p/p/l/rest repeat

Sure you could...the main thing is do something. Pick one and go.with it. Give it your all and enjoy the results.
    Khazima likes this.

Thread Information