Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Lifting on empty stomach

Gaspaco is offline "The Italian Stallion"

Lifting on empty stomach

Hey guys and gals!

My schedule allows me to workout only in the morning and I dont have much of a appetite in the morning.

About half a year ago I decided to try working out on empty stomach have shake and bananas after and meal hour after shake.

It is working very good for me, if I have a carb meal before bed I feel very strong, full of energy and the pumps are great.

WHAT IS YOUR 2 CENTS on THIS??

ANY EXPERIENCES?? Likes? Dislikes?

GASP

Chicagotarsier is offline Senior Member
    For me it 100% depends on how much cardio I do. With less than 30-minutes cardio I did not need breakfast or lunch...just put the matrix in at the end of the day. Adding the swim (3+hours) I have to have a high carb meal at the end of the day and some carbs at breakfast before my workout. If not I bonk at around the 4th set....

Before the cardio had no issues with not eating much in the AM.

Docd187123 is offline Banned
    If it's working for you I don't see the problem here. Some ppl prefer working out fasted while others prefer having a meal beforehand. I can't train in the morning so I usually eat before going to the gym but I've tried fasted training a few times and did very well with it. If it's not broke don't fix it lol. Just make sure you get all your calories and macros in by day's end and you'll be fine.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    for me, lifting on an empty stomach also means lifting with an inadequate energy supply, and my routines suffer because of it.

but that's just me

Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    for me, lifting on an empty stomach also means lifting with an inadequate energy supply, and my routines suffer because of it.

but that's just me
    I'm the same way. I need 2 meals in me to go heavy throughout my whole workout. Otherwise I become weaker as my sets progress (which is normal) but without carb loading, the weakness is substantially greater than normal for me.

ironbeck is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    I can't do this or I will get sick, my body will shake and feel like its gonna pass out needing food, I usually have to bring something to the gym to finish my workout.

clarky. is offline MONITOR
    I used to work out in the am all the time but one day went in the afternoon and what a difference it was. With nrg and lifting more never trained in am again if i can help it thats what works for me gasp.

Quote Originally Posted by clarky.
    I used to work out in the am all the time but one day went in the afternoon and what a difference it was. With nrg and lifting more never trained in am again if i can help it thats what works for me gasp.
    Thank u bud!

I will try to hit gym next week with some meals in me and compare!
    clarky. likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Schwarzenegger View Post
    I'm the same way. I need 2 meals in me to go heavy throughout my whole workout. Otherwise I become weaker as my sets progress (which is normal) but without carb loading, the weakness is substantially greater than normal for me.
    same here. two meals before lifting.

Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman
    same here. two meals before lifting.
    Times, how long do u wait after the second meal to hit the weights?

TONYdanza is offline New Member
    I at least try to pour some raw oats in a bowl and eat it like cereal. Or a shake. Something to get the carbs flowing so I can lift with intensity for 90 minutes.

bartman314 is offline Productive Member
    according to multiple sources, for example nutrient timing, the pre workout meal is the second most important meal of the day. i use:

12 g dextrose
    12 g maltodextrin
    5 g arginine
    5 g leucine
    15 g whey

prior to my early morning workout. gives energy and inhibits catabolic effects during workout.

so to summarize my thoughts

cardio on an empty stomach can be beneficial

but lifting on an empty stomach impacts gains if the empty stomach and reduced energy levels impairs one's ability to lift at maximum effort.

marcus300 is offline ~Retired~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~
    I need food before I lift especially with the intensity I do my workouts with, I wouldn't be running on a full tank which would hinder my workout but if you feel your doing well and its not doing you any harm carry on with it.

Blog Entries
    When I used to lift in the mornings I would have to wake up earlier then usual, make breakfast, eat, then wait about 30min before I went to the gym. If your mornings are time constrained that could be an issue.

If you lift fasted I would recommend a during workout drink of BCAAs and glutamine. This has been beneficial to me.

songdog is offline ARs TOP DOG ~ MONITOR ~
    I don't do nothing but hunt in the am.I could never train in the morning.

Shadeed is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hellomycognomen View Post
    When I used to lift in the mornings I would have to wake up earlier then usual, make breakfast, eat, then wait about 30min before I went to the gym. If your mornings are time constrained that could be an issue.

If you lift fasted I would recommend a during workout drink of BCAAs and glutamine. This has been beneficial to me.
    This is similar to what i do, i drink 2 scoops Whey and eat an apple 1 hour before workout in the AM and during the workout i drink BCAAs and Glutamine (30 minutes weight lifting and 30 minutes low intensity cardio), after this i take a shower drink another 2 scoops whey + Creatine then 15-30 min another apple or any other kind of fruit, 1-2 hours later i eat a good meal.

100% same. I lose about 1 rep per set and 5kg on the bar if I do not eat carbs before lifting. When I was young I lifted on empty stomach and did not impact me....now it kicks me in the butt.

but that's just me

247365 is offline New Member
    I'm also an early morning lifter. Going to try getting up a little earlier and put a few carbs down.

Agentman is offline Junior Member
    Sometimes I will drink a protein shake only, I hate the full feeling of a meal on me during a workout. I have to wait an hour or so after eating at least to feel worth anything in the gym...

cj111 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    This is similar to what i do, i drink 2 scoops Whey and eat an apple 1 hour before workout in the AM and during the workout i drink BCAAs and Glutamine (30 minutes weight lifting and 30 minutes low intensity cardio), after this i take a shower drink another 2 scoops whey + Creatine then 15-30 min another apple or any other kind of fruit, 1-2 hours later i eat a good meal.
    No whey...

Just had a protien and fat meal before the gym..worst workout ever...best pump ever.

JWP806 is offline Senior Member
    I train fasted on Saturday mornings and those are some of my best workouts of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by JWP806
    I train fasted on Saturday mornings and those are some of my best workouts of the week.
    Have to bump this thread up.

After some advices from members I changed my routine and started to eat pre workout, don't know why, but gained some unpleasant weight on my stomach

Any Ideas why?

Buster Brown is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaspaco View Post

After some advices from members I changed my routine and started to eat pre workout, don't know why, but gained some unpleasant weight on my stomach

Any Ideas why?
    Are you carbing up pre-workout? I feel best when I have some protein/fat an hour before I work out. I have an egg beater omelette (1 cup egg beaters, 2 whole eggs, mushrooms and some fat free feta).

Khazima is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaspaco View Post

Any Ideas why?
    If the preworkout meal is an extra meal on top of your regular eating, then it's because of the excess calories.

Lee_1978 is offline Member

but that's just me
    I concur. Although, when cutting, l do cardio on empty and it's not a nice feeling but it works.

Lee_1978 is offline Member

but that's just me
    I concur. Although, when cutting, l do cardio on empty and it's not a nice feeling but it works.

qscgugcsq is offline Anabolic Member
    Ive trained fasted for over 5 years now...

I must train fasted... thats the only time were ny energy level is jigh and when my performance are optimal.

If I eat in my day I cant train after my motivation energy just drop...

so it depends on individual some cant do anything if they havent ate.

the best time to train is when you feel that you will be the strongest.

fitnesstrainer is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by qscgugcsq
    x10000

Mr.BB is offline Anabolic Member
    I like fasted cardio but really cant lift empty stomach

Quote Originally Posted by qscgugcsq
    Ive trained fasted for over 5 years now... I must train fasted... thats the only time were ny energy level is jigh and when my performance are optimal. If I eat in my day I cant train after my motivation energy just drop... so it depends on individual some cant do anything if they havent ate. the best time to train is when you feel that you will be the strongest.
    I got back to my lifting on empty stomach, I am not running any gear for almost 2 years and the pumps are great when I do large carb protein meal before bed and BCAAs and glutamine pre workout.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.BB
    I like fasted cardio but really cant lift empty stomach
    Unless I had enough carbs the day before and the night before lifting cant get a pump, not enough glycogen.

PistolPete33 is offline Knowledgeable Member

but that's just me
    I'm the same way. I eat a ton before I hit the gym. However, if it's working for you then great. That's really all that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by PistolPete33
    I'm the same way. I eat a ton before I hit the gym. However, if it's working for you then great. That's really all that matters.
    When I do a lot of carbs or fats pre workout I just feel sleepy and dizzy...

Need at least 2hours after meal to lift
    PistolPete33 likes this.

600@50 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by qscgugcsq View Post
    After probably over 40 years of training I wish I could pick the best time to train. For most people it's going to be when their schedule allows and there's no way around it. I think we can get used to training at whatever time we have allotted. I've trained as early as 4am and as late as 11pm. I've made gains at both times.
    I just wish I could tell what my workout is going to be like day to day. I've felt great, had a great day, gone to the gym and the workout sucked. Also had the opposite when my day was awful, felt bad but the workout was super.
    I think as we gain experience we learn to control the mental aspect of training to a point where we can turn what would be a bad training session into a good or at least a descent one.

Buster Brown is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 600@50 View Post

After probably over 40 years of training I wish I could pick the best time to train. For most people it's going to be when their schedule allows and there's no way around it. I think we can get used to training at whatever time we have allotted. I've trained as early as 4am and as late as 11pm. I've made gains at both times.
    I just wish I could tell what my workout is going to be like day to day. I've felt great, had a great day, gone to the gym and the workout sucked. Also had the opposite when my day was awful, felt bad but the workout was super.
    I think as we gain experience we learn to control the mental aspect of training to a point where we can turn what would be a bad training session into a good or at least a descent one.
    I agree with this. I have had to train at 5 am and up to 9pm.....it is what it is and if that's your time then you make the most of it.

zempey is offline Anabolic Member
    I train at 5-5:30 am, I used to train fasted with just a pre workout then I started getting really hungry during my workout. I started adding vitargo carb supp to my pre workout and that was working well, but ran out and no funds to replace. I now down a scoop of protein and 10min later my pre workout, it is working ok so far.

vbguy is offline Junior Member
    I do casien at night, then pre when I first wake, then work out 15min later on an empty. Never seems to be an issue for me.

Bodacious is offline Productive Member
    Does anyone ever eat oatmeal before working out I did this one time and had a really good workout.

Might start doing it all the time ...any thoughts

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information