dirkmcgirk is offline Junior Member

I want to focus on my martial arts and not got any bigger or smaller, help

I am about 245ish right now and don't want to get any bigger, but i would like to maintain my size. What kinda workout routine can i do and with what kind of frequency to maintain my muscle yet not interfere with my martial arts training i do 3 or 4 times a week.

If I do full on workouts i am often too sore to get the most out of my intense martial arts training.

Please advise

Buster Brown is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirkmcgirk View Post
    I am about 245ish right now and don't want to get any bigger, but i would like to maintain my size. What kinda workout routine can i do and with what kind of frequency to maintain my muscle yet not interfere with my martial arts training i do 3 or 4 times a week.

If I do full on workouts i am often too sore to get the most out of my intense martial arts training.

Please advise
    I have my apprentice black belt in TKD and used to Box and did some MMA. I always did better when I trained higher reps and conditioned with weights. You don't want to get tight, loose your flexibility or sacrifice speed.

Khazima is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Maintaining will mostly depend on your diet, eating at your maintenance calories so you gain and lose no weight. I agree with Buster on the rep ranges, general conditioning. Except for the big 3 hit them heavy and explosive, 2-5 reps for a few sets and do something like a 3-4 day split of squat/bench/deadlift(/overhead press)

Buster Brown is offline Knowledgeable Member
    As far as exercise choices .....I got the most out of dbl work and kettlebell conditioning, cardio with a weighted vest....I did make the mistake of trying to get too lean while keeping up my strength and fighting skills.....I ended up with alot of nagging injuries. Remember, you are already doing alot with your martial arts and you body needs to recover from that so whatever you choose to do I will say that less....will equal more.

Thread Information