Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Bio-Active
  • 1 Post By Buster Brown

Thread: rep range for hypertrophy

woody127 is offline Junior Member

rep range for hypertrophy

Just wondering what your views are and what rep range you use for hypertrophy. Me personally its 8-12 but I always feel when ime hitting 3x12 reps ime doing more endurance but generally stick to 10. So what works best for you ?. . cheers guys

NACH3 is offline VET
    Blog Entries
    12 reps is at the highest part of spectrum being structural hypertrophy! I use 6-10 til true failure in that range but will do structural hypertrophy for smaller muscle groups... 6 reps is more for strength but works well when coupled in hypertrophy trainibg...pyramiding(chest but go down to 3 reps as well when pyramiding...etc

Arms burn outs and suppersetting pauses force reps(beyond true failure) is the most intense way to work out in my opinion in a HIIT(high intensity interval training) in a supperset style while on cycle works great for me... Then there's FIT(focus interval training, MIT(metabolic resistance training)

Bio-Active is online now AR-Hall of Famer
    I like that 6-10 rep range

NACH3 is offline VET
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bio-Active View Post
    Me too, I use that more than any other! Yeah you can get solid and lean gains w/those rep ranges and add strength! Diet dictates your leanness...

Quote Originally Posted by NACH3
    Me too, I use that more than any other! Yeah you can get solid and lean gains w/those rep ranges and add strength! Diet dictates your leanness...
    nutrition dictates everything brother it all starts there

Agree with nutrition 100%. Recover faster , muscle is a lot firmer and of course look better which is what we're all trying to achieve. Why I am asking this is, like I said genaraly 10 reps per set is what I do but know and again, not very often I will go to 12. When I do it defiantly feels like I have broke the muscle down a lot more, surely this is a good thing right bit that's what my body tells me, now I am thinking now do I go up to 12 reps a lot more often, will I make faster gains or will I just be wasting my time.

Quote Originally Posted by woody127
    Agree with nutrition 100%. Recover faster , muscle is a lot firmer and of course look better which is what we're all trying to achieve. Why I am asking this is, like I said genaraly 10 reps per set is what I do but know and again, not very often I will go to 12. When I do it defiantly feels like I have broke the muscle down a lot more, surely this is a good thing right bit that's what my body tells me, now I am thinking now do I go up to 12 reps a lot more often, will I make faster gains or will I just be wasting my time.
    I think it's fine as long as that 10-12 rep range is real total failure. You can achieve this with less reps even if you are doing pause reps and or drop sets
    NACH3 likes this.

Agreed and TIT plays a big part to. End of the day your muscle doesn't know the exact weight your using. And its up to us to create the stimulus for us to grow

Khazima is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I'm a powerlifter so i'll usually hit my main movements between 2-8 reps depending on the phase of training but for all my accessory i'll go anywhere between 6-30 reps which hypertrophy in mind, it completely depends on the exercise, what feels good and what's worked in the past. For example i'll do heavy triples on squats then do 20 reps on the leg press superset with 20 reps on both leg extensions and leg curls. I've only started doing high rep leg press and leg press supersets recently and my legs have responded really well to it.

For biceps, which i've finally started to see some growth it i've usually been working in 8-15 reps, lots of supersets and dropsets and that's been working really well. Same with back i've been doing 5-12 reps on pull-ups (weighted/not weighted) then 8-20 reps + dropsets on cable row and my backs been responding really well.

Chest and triceps are still a mystery, bench is progressing really well but i can't get the bitch to grow, best i've seen is from higher frequency with more isolation at the 15-20 rep range but my training is becoming more specific so i haven't had time to give that a real chance.

And mid delt has always been really high rep laterals, my delts are easily my strongest point as well as my back and 12-20 reps on laterals has got it that way for me. However i can't do low reps due to shoulder injuries constantly flaring up so i don't really have anything to compare it to.

Buster Brown is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I feel that the 6-8 Rep range for my working sets on compound exercises are the most beneficial for hypertrophy.
    NYbeastMode likes this.

6-12 reps total for an entire set for best chance at hypertrophy, including rest pauses and drops if you are doing HIT. So if you wanted to do 2 drops, fail at say 4, then drop and get 2-3 more, drop and repeat for a total of 8 reps.

davesah1 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bio-Active View Post
    Double Bump, also with some additional assisted, cheat, eccentric, reps in the 6-8 range after ideal form leads to failure. (use sparingly to avoid overtaxing CNS).

First set 15 reps moderate difficulty
    2nd set 10-12 with some more difficulty
    3rd set with 6-8 to failure and beyond
    ~Or 6-8, usually 8 reps of two final sets for a total of 4 sets per exercise (when not going beyond failure)

Next exercise.
    Repeat for 3-4 total exercises depending on body part.

Worked very well on blowing up my arm strength and gaining size while they lagged.

NACH3 is offline VET
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by davesah1 View Post
    Double Bump, also with some additional assisted, cheat, eccentric, reps in the 6-8 range after ideal form leads to failure. (use sparingly to avoid overtaxing CNS).

First set 15 reps moderate difficulty
    2nd set 10-12 with some more difficulty
    3rd set with 6-8 to failure and beyond
    ~Or 6-8, usually 8 reps of two final sets for a total of 4 sets per exercise (when not going beyond failure)

Next exercise.
    Repeat for 3-4 total exercises depending on body part.

Worked very well on blowing up my arm strength and gaining size while they lagged.
    Looking real nice, full, and great shape! Well done!

Thread Information