Like Tree9Likes
  • 3 Post By 600@50
  • 4 Post By marcus300
  • 1 Post By Mr.BB
  • 1 Post By NACH3

Thread: Dorian Yates high intensity training

justo is offline Associate Member

Dorian Yates high intensity training

been looking at dorian yates high intensity training and i have a few questions

1. how comes he does like 7 sets only for chest and 3 exercises

2. he done 2 exercises for bicpes?

seems like the workout is over in no time and looks like strength/hypertrophy

im worries if i start this routine i wont make much gains due to the lack of sets involved

thanks

JohnnyJim is offline Banned
    Honestly I don't believe in it...

I am big on high volume things, even before my obsession with Bulgarian-style lifting.

The sciency people behind HST (Hypertrophy-Specific Training) talked about the importance of actual mechanical work as opposed to perceived-effort by the person lifting weights. In theory, the person lifting X pounds for 5 sets of 5 reps is much more effective than the person lifting same weight for 1 set of 5 reps with additional mega-burning techniques.

What Dorian did obviously worked for him, but I don't like it, personally.

Mr.BB is offline Anabolic Member
    If done to failure (and beyond) its the best way to grow IMHO

Please go to the lounge into marcus' diary. Everything you ever wanted to know about high intensity training, or HIT, is in there. It is the single most effective program for hypertrophy and strength in my opinion, tho everyone is different. It focuses on taking the muscle to failure (TRUE positive failure) and beyond.

600@50 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Intensity is much better than high volume for growth. Think about it this way. ....in order to do another set (more volume) you must save a little on the previous set in order to have energy for the next set. Or as some old school guys used to say "Stimulate don't annihilate"
    Euroholic, Mr.BB and NACH3 like this.

Euroholic is offline "ARs Pork Eating Crusader"
    Dorian is just a pure killer. I don't think anyone this side of the nuthouse could keep up with him in his prime. He had even said he wishes he toned it down a notch because of his injury.

Its hard for people to get there head around hit and the quick. 30-45 minute sessions. Not like the 3 hour sessions of the golden era.

marcus300 is offline ~Retired~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~
    Its been the most productive training routine I've ever used in regards to sheer size, thickness, overall mass and also maintenance. Its not for everybody but if you can train your mind and body to go to true positive failure and beyond there is nothing else what can come close IMHO. Session are short and extremely intense and if you can master the basic principles you can design a HIT program to suit how your body grows and responds. Its not for the faint hearted

Mr.BB is offline Anabolic Member
    Totally agree with Marcus^^^^, its not for everyone.

The level of pain can be overwhelming for some. For me the worst pains come from shoulders workouts, I dont mean sore muscle pain, I mean pain while doing it and just after. Arms and chest pain are bereable, back as well. Back workouts start to enter my limit in cardio conditioning (winded) but legs is where I have problems doing this type of high intensity training. Pushing my quads to failure is difficult as many times my cardio fails first, not easy to get my HR down after 20 reps of squats...
    NACH3 likes this.

NACH3 is offline VET
    Blog Entries
    X2... To what Marcus is referring too! The first thing my Pop taught me was how to train to true failure and beyond(force reps/rest or pauses/and I like incorporating 1 1/2s on all bench excersises to total burn out(on final sets of each)...As Marcus BB stated its not for everyone... But high intensity HIIT style(even working opposing muscle groups(agonist/antagonist) in a suppersetted fashion works well for me when on...

I get that same pain while workin shoulders and even arms(in my forearms from pronating/& supinating my grips to hit diff muscle heads)...
    Last edited by NACH3; 02-16-2015 at 10:21 AM.
    Mr.BB likes this.

Buster Brown is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I have employed it and its amazing. I use it during my cut phase but I have used it in the past as well on a bulk. Due to the intensity I cycle on and off it because I just get to beat up from it and need to throw a maintenance routine in between. Def something worth exploring!

SOL!D5NAK3 is offline Associate Member
    gonna start it from this week, i have been off for a month or two with high intensity,not it's time to get it done again.

woody127 is offline Junior Member
    I was looking into DY training and tried it twice a couple of weeks ago, it's a little crazy really as 2 warm ups then one main set to total failure is just total wipe out for me feels good though , but I know less is more etc but literally 25 mins in the gym feels strange bit deffo had a nice muscle ache going on for a few days lol

Thread Information