Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: the Close grip bench press

Buster Brown is offline Knowledgeable Member

the Close grip bench press

This is an exercise that I feel should be in everyones triceps routine. I had overlooked it for years or just did it here and there. Come to find out its the backbone to big triceps and an even bigger bench press. First thing to focus on is proper grip of the bar. Place your hands where the bar becomes gnurled and keep your thumbs in on the smooth part. I wrap my thumbs under (a no no on the bench press) and go to full lockout which is where you get the most from the exercise. There are variations you can do such as board presses, add chains, use a fat bar. I like the following Rep scheme for strength: 8,6,5,3,3,3. For hypertrophy I like 8,8,6,6,6. A 5*5 works well also. After you can add I some accessory work. I like to do something lying and overhead. I occasionally do pushdowns as a finisher when on a BB routine. If your not doing them and your triceps and bench could be better .....give them a shot. On a side note if your biceps aren't growing you will still put some size on your arms by incorperating this movement.
    i_SLAM_cougars likes this.

i_SLAM_cougars is offline Banned- for my own actions
    Definitely a tri killer. Second only to weighted dips for me.

Quote Originally Posted by i_SLAM_cougars View Post
    Definitely a tri killer. Second only to weighted dips for me.
    Well actually there are some other great tricep presses such as the JM press and Paul Dicks press which are geared towards strength. The dip is a great finisher. I love weighted dips.
    i_SLAM_cougars likes this.

NACH3 is offline VET
    Blog Entries
    Good info Buster... Love both close grip & weighted dips... After doing it for strength(8,8,6,6,6/or 5x5) finish w/a final failure set without weight or light weight to hit like 20 reps.... Great pump! Great muscle building excersises!

clarky. is offline MONITOR
    Well buster i agree with you there it is a great ex and as for the hand grip i x2 that. I only started them about a month or so ago and love them.

Quote Originally Posted by clarky. View Post
    Well buster i agree with you there it is a great ex and as for the hand grip i x2 that. I only started them about a month or so ago and love them.
    I had to be schooled on the grip as I had been doing it wrong for a long time (too narrow). Now ......I love them now and all of the other versions. Definitely making a difference.

NACH3 is offline VET
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Brown View Post
    I had to be schooled on the grip as I had been doing it wrong for a long time (too narrow). Now ......I love them now and all of the other versions. Definitely making a difference.
    BB,
    Your using the Barbell(not Z-Bar), correct? One could use both, I guess but I prefer bb/or even Smith Machine(due to R.shoulder injuries)... So, if used w/the bar(confused on the gnurl part)... I've always had hands on rough part shoulder width with my thumbs on smooth part of barbell... Is this the grip your referring too??

Yes they do make a difference Buster great ex and i'll tell you what i've been doing lying db ex as well. These two ex are really doing the damage.

Quote Originally Posted by NACH3 View Post
    BB,
    Your using the Barbell(not Z-Bar), correct? One could use both, I guess but I prefer bb/or even Smith Machine(due to R.shoulder injuries)... So, if used w/the bar(confused on the gnurl part)... I've always had hands on rough part shoulder width with my thumbs on smooth part of barbell... Is this the grip your referring too??
    Gnurled part is the rough bit nach. I use the smith machine i prefer it don't have to bother about balance ect just get on with the movement.
    NACH3 likes this.

Gaspaco is offline "The Italian Stallion"
    I am big fan on close grip bench!!!

NACH3 is offline VET
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by clarky. View Post
    Gnurled part is the rough bit nach. I use the smith machine i prefer it don't have to bother about balance ect just get on with the movement.
    That's what I was thinkin, clarky... I too prefer the Smith Machine as well! Also, being that Most people do start way to narrow... Just wanted to ask that ?... Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by NACH3 View Post

That's what I was thinkin, clarky... I too prefer the Smith Machine as well! Also, being that Most people do start way to narrow... Just wanted to ask that ?... Thanks!
    I prefer the straight bar and we actually have a fat bar at the gym that takes some of the shoulder out of the exercise. Nothing wrong with the Smith machine if that's your preference. I also prefer the straight bar over the ez bar for most of my triceps movements. I do use it for nose breakers and French presses ...I think alternating the bar types is important as well.

NACH3 is offline VET
    Blog Entries
    ^^agreed! I prefer bb movements(for strength/mass) but definitely implement the EZ bar for skull crushers, etc...I have to use a dumbbell for my French curls(more of a manipulative movement due to range of motion probs from right shoulder) hence the smith machine for close grip! Lol much rather use totally free... But it is what it is! Still get great pumps regardless!! Haha

zempey is offline Anabolic Member
    I alternate close grip bar presses with reverse grip on the smith, I love them. i used to do them too narrow and it would hurt my shoulders and could never get any weight up. Now my grip is as you mention and it is much better, I also feel these are helping my bench.

i_SLAM_cougars is offline Banned- for my own actions
    What's a JM press, or a Paul dick press? I've never heard of either. Got me excited now.

Quote Originally Posted by i_SLAM_cougars View Post
    What's a JM press, or a Paul dick press? I've never heard of either. Got me excited now.
    Lol.........they are a big part of the puzzle and link to a bigger bench press.

Quote Originally Posted by zempey View Post
    I alternate close grip bar presses with reverse grip on the smith, I love them. i used to do them too narrow and it would hurt my shoulders and could never get any weight up. Now my grip is as you mention and it is much better, I also feel these are helping my bench.
    Exactly.....I was always under the impression my grip had to be super close and in a BB environment that's what I saw. I think you are exposed to so much more in a PL gym.

nes
    nes is offline New Member
    I was doing the close grip bp wrong as I see... my grip was always too close and lets say that it's not comfy at all since I was focusing more on the balance of the bar than the movement itself !

Quote Originally Posted by nes View Post
    I was doing the close grip bp wrong as I see... my grip was always too close and lets say that it's not comfy at all since I was focusing more on the balance of the bar than the movement itself !
    Exactly ...and besides getting an injury eventually you would never get anything out of the exercise.

With the really close grip I couldn't go over 135 without bad shoulder pain, now I am repping 225 with very little pain. I will be going this week to try and build my tri's stronger so I can achieve my bench goals for this cycle.

With the really close grip I couldn't go over 135 without bad shoulder pain, now I am repping 225 with very little pain. I will be going this week to try and build my tri's stronger so I can achieve my bench goals for this cycle.
    When that gets boring incorporate board presses or use the chains if your gym has them.

We don't, I don't get bored easily, as long as I am making progress in reps or weight, I stay focused. Switching grips helps, plus I might incorporate some bell close grip presses to really smash my tri's. My old gym in Cali had the Hammer Strength dip machine, I miss that thing, nothing has ever hit my tri's as good as that. We would load that fuker up with 7-8 plates a side and rip the shit out of our tri's. If I had figured out back then the proper bench grip I think I would have been able to get 4 plates eventually, damn so much wasted time.

We don't, I don't get bored easily, as long as I am making progress in reps or weight, I stay focused. Switching grips helps, plus I might incorporate some bell close grip presses to really smash my tri's. My old gym in Cali had the Hammer Strength dip machine, I miss that thing, nothing has ever hit my tri's as good as that. We would load that fuker up with 7-8 plates a side and rip the shit out of our tri's. If I had figured out back then the proper bench grip I think I would have been able to get 4 plates eventually, damn so much wasted time.
    I think we all go through that. Good thing is that the strength is the last to go.

musclestack is offline Productive Member
    Buster,

This is a little off topic, but you mentioned in your first post that the open hand grip is a no-no for bench press. Why do you feel that way? I, too, like the open grip for bench, but only because it allows me to angle my arms/shoulders more inward, allowing me to get a little more power on my press. I do this in competition too. But I see almost everyone else in competition using the closed grip (thumbs wrapped around the bar). Your thoughts?

*This is assuming I read your post right...I may have what you said backwards, and you're actually saying to use a closed grip on the bench press.

NACH3 is offline VET
    Blog Entries
    Switching up your grip is very important IMO, also! Whether you pronate or supinate your grips your hitting the muscles at different angles... While always working your forearms, too!

Quote Originally Posted by musclestack View Post
    Buster,

This is a little off topic, but you mentioned in your first post that the open hand grip is a no-no for bench press. Why do you feel that way? I, too, like the open grip for bench, but only because it allows me to angle my arms/shoulders more inward, allowing me to get a little more power on my press. I do this in competition too. But I see almost everyone else in competition using the closed grip (thumbs wrapped around the bar). Your thoughts?

*This is assuming I read your post right...I may have what you said backwards, and you're actually saying to use a closed grip on the bench press.
    Two reasons....safety and you use more triceps. So....for the bench I don't want to make it all about the triceps because my chest is really my strong point and my grip on the bench is somewhere between a PL and a BB.

< <Samson> > is offline Neurologically Intact
    Blog Entries
    I only bench open handed - my wrists are fvcked and roll back to hard when I do closed hand bench. But, I haven't even focused on bench much - mainly DB presses, flies and all cables

To each is own - safety is always first, it took me years to perfect my bench routine

Close bench is cool - I do it once every two weeks or so, high rep to just complete burn out

There are a few real solid tricep exercises - but, the close grip is def up there

I have been focusing on my arms here for a solid month, tri's 1st - bi's 2nd

Quote Originally Posted by < <Samson> > View Post
    I only bench open handed - my wrists are fvcked and roll back to hard when I do closed hand bench. But, I haven't even focused on bench much - mainly DB presses, flies and all cables

To each is own - safety is always first, it took me years to perfect my bench routine

Close bench is cool - I do it once every two weeks or so, high rep to just complete burn out

There are a few real solid tricep exercises - but, the close grip is def up there

I have been focusing on my arms here for a solid month, tri's 1st - bi's 2nd
    I know other guys with that prob so they pretty much do all if there bb work in the rack. I was taught about the dif between wrapping the thumb and not and I def noticed a huge dif at the top rom of the Rep with the thumb not wrapped around the bar. You started out with decent arms if I remember correctly....lucky sob (lol). I have had to work mine super hard but I really saw a dif when u started taking these exercises more serious and dropping some others ...that long tricep head going down the back of your arm really woke up.

< <Samson> > is offline Neurologically Intact
    Blog Entries
    You started out with decent arms if I remember correctly....lucky sob (lol).

I suppose

Since getting on gear I have grown close to 3" on my arms

My issues was & still is to a point is not really size, but, it's just being a shapeless pile

Mr.BB is offline Anabolic Member
    Close grip bench is my main tri exercise. Ussually starting exercise, then go to isolation exercises. Heavy and ALWAYS close grip, ok if close grip bench light maybe you could risk open grip but it a real hazard to drop bar on your head/neck/chest.
    Agree its the best for the long tricep head.
    Last edited by Mr.BB; 01-19-2015 at 08:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.BB View Post
    Close grip bench is may main tri exercise. Ussually starting exercise, then go to isolation exercises. Heavy and ALWAYS close grip, ok if close grip bench light maybe you could risk open grip but it a real hazard to drop bar on your head/neck/chest.
    Agree its the best for the long tricep head.
    Hop in the rack and load those puppies up. I agree with the safety aspect but feel the dif open thumb and at lockout. But that's me.....I don't advocate doing something you don't feel comfy with.
    Mr.BB likes this.

Mr.BB is offline Anabolic Member
    Hop in the rack and load those puppies up. I agree with the safety aspect but feel the dif open thumb and at lockout. But that's me.....I don't advocate doing something you don't feel comfy with.
    I do drop the thumb when doing barbell lying tricep extensions, feel it makes it more effective

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.BB View Post

I do drop the thumb when doing barbell lying tricep extensions, feel it makes it more effective
    Tbh I can't imagine getting the same feel at the top of the Rep if I did wrap my thumbs now that I have made the change.

jolter604 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    damb i threw that in with some heavy weight instead of a french curl burn out,and i can already see the more full pump.this is my new favorite tricep workout.i always did a quick set after my set of french curls(skull crushers)but this will be one my musts for triceps now.

Quote Originally Posted by jolter604 View Post
    damb i threw that in with some heavy weight instead of a french curl burn out,and i can already see the more full pump.this is my new favorite tricep workout.i always did a quick set after my set of french curls(skull crushers)but this will be one my musts for triceps now.
    They are the bread and butter to a great triceps workout.

600@50 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Great thread BB. I agree with you on the grip width. For me my thumbs are right at the end of the knurling. Any closer and it limits the weight you can use plus puts an acute angle on the elbow. Also when you are almost at failure on the JM press you can finish up with a couple of close grip presses to really blast the tris. Good job man.

Quote Originally Posted by 600@50 View Post
    Great thread BB. I agree with you on the grip width. For me my thumbs are right at the end of the knurling. Any closer and it limits the weight you can use plus puts an acute angle on the elbow. Also when you are almost at failure on the JM press you can finish up with a couple of close grip presses to really blast the tris. Good job man.
    Thank you. The grip width really makes or breaks the exercise. Surprising how quick the weight has gone up since using proper technique. JM presses are another great alternative that gets overlooked.

Bio-Active is online now AR-Hall of Famer
    Nothing puts size on my tricept like good ole fashion laying heavy skull crushers. I have never been a big fan of close grip bench. That's what's great about this sport though is having so many variations to tear muscle tissue. I do some close grip work on the hammer strength machine after skull crushers and that works well to finish them off. Great thread you got going hear

Quote Originally Posted by Bio-Active View Post
    Nothing puts size on my tricept like good ole fashion laying heavy skull crushers. I have never been a big fan of close grip bench. That's what's great about this sport though is having so many variations to tear muscle tissue. I do some close grip work on the hammer strength machine after skull crushers and that works well to finish them off. Great thread you got going hear
    Thanks Bio......I really latched on to these when I decided I wanted to be a stronger bodybuilder. I have always been a fan of skull crushers and still do them ....I like doing them on an incline with a straight bar for a change as well.

Bio-Active is online now AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Brown
    Thanks Bio......I really latched on to these when I decided I wanted to be a stronger bodybuilder. I have always been a fan of skull crushers and still do them ....I like doing them on an incline with a straight bar for a change as well.
    yes and using the ez bar is nice too cause you can alternate inside and outside grip

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information