Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Bio-Active
  • 1 Post By JohnnyClutch

Thread: Should a sore muscle be trained?

BigMan65 is offline Associate Member

Should a sore muscle be trained?

Things can get confusing.

"Fight through the pain" in some cases is great advice.

"Let it rest, take it easy" -that can also be great advice.

Where is the faint line between one and the other really drawn?

For example:
    If Chest day rolls around, and its still sore from the last chest day, should it be trained, or postponed?
    Last edited by BigMan65; 03-11-2015 at 05:28 PM.

monster-ish is offline Associate Member
    This has happened to me and usually if I'm not too sore I'll train. But that's just me. I read in an article that a muscle can be trained again 48 hours after initial training. I believe it was an article on bb.com about hypertrophy

Khazima is offline Knowledgeable Member
    If it's sore from chest you did more than 2-3 days ago, you did to much chest.

Depending on the phase of training you're in would determine whether you need to keep on track or whether you can let the muscle fully recover. In most cases i'd just train it again.

GirlyGymRat is offline Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~
    Quote Originally Posted by Khazima
    If it's sore from chest you did more than 2-3 days ago, you did to much chest. Depending on the phase of training you're in would determine whether you need to keep on track or whether you can let the muscle fully recover. In most cases i'd just train it again.
    Hmmm. Can one tear up the muscle too much?? ?

Bio-Active is online now AR-Hall of Famer
    Give it time to recover before hitting it again
    marcus300 likes this.

Buster Brown is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMan65 View Post

For example:
    If Chest day rolls around, and its still sore from the last chest day, should it be trained, or postponed?
    If you are still sore a few days after working out try stretching the muscle .......make sure you are warmed up prior to stretching.

JohnnyClutch is offline Junior Member
    I think the simple straight forward answer is no. A sore muscle should not be trained. The soreness you feel a few days later (usually 2-3 days) indicates the muscle has been broken down. Now it must recover and thats where nutrition and rest play an important role. Working out a sore muscle isnt really beneficial in any way. It can lead to injury and that means time out of the gym, so now youve actually taken a few steps back. Personally, one high quality workout of every muscle group per week works best for me. Muscles respond well to sufficient rest, given the nutrition is on point as well.

I think the saying of "fighting through the pain" is referring to the burn during your reps and sets. That, you should definitely fight through!! Safely of course. Dont fight through joint pain or an injury. Take your reps really slow and controlled and by rep 8 youll know what pain im talking about.

When your muscles are sore, take it easy. Put the effort that you would dedicate to a workout into meal prepping, hydrating and rest and watch your muscles grow.
    marcus300 likes this.

< <Samson> > is offline Neurologically Intact
    Blog Entries
    Then riddle me this - damn near every muscle is sore after I get off work. I have no time to recover at all and of course I notice a loss of strength in the gym.

So - what, never work out?!

I run a jack hammer or a tamper most of the day 5x a week - so yeah, I'm sore 24x7

In other known reality - no, you want your muscle groups to rest before hitting them again.

Quote Originally Posted by < <Samson> > View Post
    Then riddle me this - damn near every muscle is sore after I get off work. I have no time to recover at all and of course I notice a loss of strength in the gym.

So - what, never work out?!

I run a jack hammer or a tamper most of the day 5x a week - so yeah, I'm sore 24x7

In other known reality - no, you want your muscle groups to rest before hitting them again.
    How long have you been doin this job?? My understanding is fairly recently, yes?

This could get lengthy samson, but in short the muscle fibers you mostly stimulate and fatigue at work are not the same youd hit at the gym. Its safe to say youll see new "growth" due to that new stimulation. For example, i also started a new job back in january. Im on my feet and moving 12 hours per shift. Compared to my previous job where i was off my feet mostly. The first 2 weeks were BRUTAL on my calves. And i have observed a very slight thickness in them as well as some hardness. Doesnt mean i wont do calf extensions on leg day using heavy weight for 8-15 reps.

Hope that helps batman
    Last edited by JohnnyClutch; 03-13-2015 at 02:47 PM. Reason: just because

bartman314 is offline Productive Member
    there's good pain, and there's bad pain. it's ok to work through the good pain, it's not ok to work throughthe bad pain. the trick is to know the difference.

600@50 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMan65 View Post

For example:
    As for your statement of "Fight through the pain" I think if you are truly in pain then you should add rest days until you feel better.

But if you are "sore" meaning tight and stiff then you should be able to warm up and have a good workout.

All this depends on your age, diet, rest, work and any other variable in your life.
    As an example sometimes my next bench workout could be anywhere from 3 to 7 days later after a heavy day. It's been said over and over again. ...... learn to listen to your body. It'll tell you what it needs. Don't get wrapped up in a "routine". Your gains will increase and injuries will decrease.

Also depends on your goals, type of training, experience etc. For example i'm sure the Bulgarians (first to hit an 800lb raw squat) would still squat in the afternoon if they were still sore from squatting in the morning and the 5 days before that twice a day?

kapper is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by < <Samson> >
    Then riddle me this - damn near every muscle is sore after I get off work. I have no time to recover at all and of course I notice a loss of strength in the gym. So - what, never work out?! I run a jack hammer or a tamper most of the day 5x a week - so yeah, I'm sore 24x7 In other known reality - no, you want your muscle groups to rest before hitting them again.
    I also think your so sore because your not work fit yet, gym fit and work fit is a big difference! Trust u will be rite in a few weeks, bouncing out of bed every day smashing the gym straight after

I see it all the time at work we get boys who are alot stronger,leaner etc and they think they can concrete or tie steel for 11 hours with ease, first day they get thru it but then come the 13th in a row they are broken lol and you dont see them in the gym... Not talking any of them or you down but yeh theres a difference, get yourself in a routine with work mate and u with be right trust me

Quote Originally Posted by kapper View Post
    I also think your so sore because your not work fit yet, gym fit and work fit is a big difference! Trust u will be rite in a few weeks, bouncing out of bed every day smashing the gym straight after

I see it all the time at work we get boys who are alot stronger,leaner etc and they think they can concrete or tie steel for 11 hours with ease, first day they get thru it but then come the 13th in a row they are broken lol and you dont see them in the gym... Not talking any of them or you down but yeh theres a difference, get yourself in a routine with work mate and u with be right trust me
    Exactly what happens to me lol I go to do some laboring and I'm fighting for dear life after 2 hours.

kapper is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Khazima
    Exactly what happens to me lol I go to do some laboring and I'm fighting for dear life after 2 hours.
    Hahaha ive seen it a few times it can be rather funny when some one cocky gets knocked down a few pegs

Thread Information