Reiid13 is offline Member

Barbell Shrug - back ache .. Tips ?

I hear dumbbell shrugs are better , but the max Dumbbells I have @ home gym are 25kg .

So I resorted to the barbell with a over and under hand grip but getting a little back ache whilst I'm doing the shrug , any tips ?

Bio-Active is online now AR-Hall of Famer
    If it hurts you need to find another way to do it. Switch the grip back to overhand keep your back straight and use straps

Quote Originally Posted by Bio-Active
    If it hurts you need to find another way to do it. Switch the grip back to overhand keep your back straight and use straps
    Yeah i dont own a pair of straps but i just ordered a pair !... Will give this a go cheers man

zempey is offline Anabolic Member
    Are you bouncing at all while at the bottom position and starting the lift? This little bit of a momentum boost at the bottom will place a massive amount of pressure on you low back. Make sure you plant your feet solid with a slight bend in the knee so your quads are taking the weight and not your spine, then focus on pulling up with your traps only. It can be difficult to truly get proper form on this one, I see guys all the time bouncing the weight up, I have been guilty of this myself at times. What weight are you using? My back doesn't feel any tension until after 3 plates, then I can feel there is some pressure in my low back.

Quote Originally Posted by zempey
    Are you bouncing at all while at the bottom position and starting the lift? This little bit of a momentum boost at the bottom will place a massive amount of pressure on you low back. Make sure you plant your feet solid with a slight bend in the knee so your quads are taking the weight and not your spine, then focus on pulling up with your traps only. It can be difficult to truly get proper form on this one, I see guys all the time bouncing the weight up, I have been guilty of this myself at times. What weight are you using? My back doesn't feel any tension until after 3 plates, then I can feel there is some pressure in my low back.
    hey man thanks for chiming in , I've just done a few reps and with the heavier sets yes i bounce a little , im shrugging 80kg atm on the barbell trying to get 8 reps , i find when i start to tire set @ set 2-3 i get desperate and bounce a little

davesah1 is offline Member
    how do you breathe when you do them?
    Contrary to what science recommends for every exercise, if I inhale sharply (as opposed to exhaling) as I shrug the bar up it puts less stress on my back. (at least it physically feels like it does). Haven't figured out why honestly. Maybe the expansion of the diaphragm helps keep the chest up and out preventing slight hunching of my spine at the top of the movement.....or maybe I just have scoliosis. I really don't know. Regardless proper breathing will play role when moving heavy weight. See which style you like.
    Instead of bouncing a lot you just hold onto the bar (when you get straps), your traps are still under tension doing this, you'll feel it....
    As mentioned above bend the knees a little and lean back at the slightest angle so the the top half of your back/spine isn't fighting for you not to fall on your face if this wasn't implied.

I don't exhale on the lift only the down stroke of the lift, on really heavy stuff I hold my breath while I pull. Breathing is very important when getting heavy, I am very conscious of my breathing once over 400lbs, I have pulled a muscle inside my rib cage a few times at those weights. Control is key for maximal growth, you really want to control it all the way up and a deep stretch at the bottom.

Thanks both .

I've woken up this morning and my back is aching -.-

Grrrrr lol

Just warmed up for some squats , not as bad now , hopefully a few baths , deep muscle run cream etc will sort it out

I have a bad back, surgery in 01 on l4-l5 l5-s1, I have to be very careful of how I lift. I have been doing planks for the past 6 months or so during my warm up stretching routine. These have made the most improvement in how my back feels on a daily basis, I have very little pain or tightness since doing these. If you have not tried them, you should give it a try, I hold for 2-3 minutes, but just hold as long as you can and try to build up time. It has helped all my lifts due to strengthening my core, I no longer wear a belt until I get up into really heavy weights.

I have a bad back, surgery in 01 on l4-l5 l5-s1, I have to be very careful of how I lift. I have been doing planks for the past 6 months or so during my warm up stretching routine. These have made the most improvement in how my back feels on a daily basis, I have very little pain or tightness since doing these. If you have not tried them, you should give it a try, I hold for 2-3 minutes, but just hold as long as you can and try to build up time. It has helped all my lifts due to strengthening my core, I no longer wear a belt until I get up into really heavy weights.
    Thanks man I'll definitely do these during warm up . That's some serious surgery ! Can you still lift heavy ? And how tall are you ? I'm 6,3 approx . Once again thanks man

Buster Brown is offline Knowledgeable Member
    This is just something to chew on but do you do any type of deadlift? When I started doing them I really noticed a difference in my trap development as well as my lower back which has helped me tremendously. We often think that doing a back workout and targeting upper back is enough but its not. The lower back can't be neglected, it must be worked.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Brown
    This is just something to chew on but do you do any type of deadlift? When I started doing them I really noticed a difference in my trap development as well as my lower back which has helped me tremendously. We often think that doing a back workout and targeting upper back is enough but its not. The lower back can't be neglected, it must be worked.
    Buster ! Long time no chat ( been away for a while ) .... Yeah i dead lift twice a week my personal favourite workout !! .... I've always had back ache whilst working long shifts in work , and i actually feel dead lift has helped it millions !! I also dead lift without a belt as i hear it can have a counter effect and not tighten up all the muscles ?

I still lift heavy, have been backing off some lifts to prevent injury. I am 6'6" and 273 at the moment, my bench is 325, shrug 4-5 plates for reps, squat around 400, did bent rows with 315 for high reps today, working on a 200lb curl again. I used to be really strong back in the day but I took a long layoff and have been working my way back, being in my early 40's isn't helping my recovery any.

Being tall like us makes it difficult to do certain lifts as easy as shorter guys., I can't do deads with my back so I just work around it.

working on a 200lb curl again.

I can't do deads with my back so I just work around it.
    Nice bro ! Is that a preacher curl ? I so ... DAAAMMM !!

Ahh man that sucks , as I said I've always got bouts of back ache with working long shifts and deadlifting has helped it i feel.

Got my wrist wraps to shrug with !!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-668819926.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	546.9 KB 
ID:	155785

Those are nice, I like the rubber tits on them for grip.

No, I have no idea what I can preacher curl, I have done 200 for reps in the past with a preacher bar standing, just not the big bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Reiid13 View Post

Buster ! Long time no chat ( been away for a while ) .... Yeah i dead lift twice a week my personal favourite workout !! .... I've always had back ache whilst working long shifts in work , and i actually feel dead lift has helped it millions !! I also dead lift without a belt as i hear it can have a counter effect and not tighten up all the muscles ?
    I dl without a belt as well. My Rep scheme when training for strength goes 8/5/4/3/3/3. I love them and they have done wonders for me.

Had a sh%t workout today , was deadlifting going for reps and using the wrist straps just dampened my mood because I was fussing with overhand / underhand grip . This is only my second time with them so it's way to early to voice my opinion

BUT .....

I'm clearly doing something wrong I can one rep max a sh%t tonne more which is great , but today I found going for reps I can still feel bar turning .

My question :

Do you still overhand / underhand grip when using wrist straps ?

Is this just from being inexperienced with wrist straps ? I've watched a few vids how to use them etc

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-3008655979.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	484.5 KB 
ID:	155895

Lol @ mates house , this maxi muscle 2 part barbell boasts a max weight of 150lbs .... 20kg and its bent ??? Hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Reiid13 View Post
    Had a sh%t workout today , was deadlifting going for reps and using the wrist straps just dampened my mood because I was fussing with overhand / underhand grip . This is only my second time with them so it's way to early to voice my opinion

BUT .....

I'm clearly doing something wrong I can one rep max a sh%t tonne more which is great , but today I found going for reps I can still feel bar turning .

My question :

Do you still overhand / underhand grip when using wrist straps ?

Is this just from being inexperienced with wrist straps ? I've watched a few vids how to use them etc
    Yes, still under /over with straps. They take a little bit but to learn how to tighten up but you will get it.

Thread Information