Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Khazima
  • 1 Post By 600@50
  • 1 Post By powerliftmike

Thread: CoC for grip improvement?

Synhax is offline Associate Member

CoC for grip improvement?

Hey guys,

What exercises do you do to increase grip strength? Recently ive been failing on shrugs because i keep on losing my grip, haven't tried straps yet, i would prefer to work on improving grip strength instead. I also tried my buddy's Captain of Crush grippers and i couldn't even close #1 lol. Is that normal for most people? I haven't really trained forearms directly before but I thought I had decent strength until now. Should I start training with grippers?

Buster Brown is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Like anything, it takes time...... Try to not use straps but if you just can't hold on them use the straps. When I do deads or shrugs I use will use straps once I get into the 400 lb range and beyond. At that point I need to stimulate the muscles that I am training as they are priority at that point.

Khazima is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Try plate pinches, heavy deadlifts, heavy rows, pull-ups and static holds (hang from a pull-up for time etc), farmers walks. As long as you don't rely on a grip aid and put some extra volume into the arms your grip will improve.
    hellomycognomen likes this.

ever use grippers tho? I feel like they would be a good exercise to do at home when I have some free time so I wont have to spend even more time at the gym, my workouts are already long enough, i barely get through all the exercises in my routine as it is.

600@50 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I have a CofC gripper I carry in my car and use it as I drive back and forth to work. I love the thing but can get carried away sometimes and get some tendonitis in my forearm if not careful. Moderation is key for me when using CofC grippers.
    almostgone likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 600@50 View Post
    I have a CofC gripper I carry in my car and use it as I drive back and forth to work. I love the thing but can get carried away sometimes and get some tendonitis in my forearm if not careful. Moderation is key for me when using CofC grippers.
    did they help you alot with your grip strength? and did you notice a difference in the gym when lifting heavy weights? Its become a limiting factor for me for some exercises, im going to have to use straps but would prefer not to.

powerliftmike is offline ~Elite AR-Hall of Famer~
    I will use straps for shrugs if go heavy on them. I train CoC grippers too. I recommend using the expanding bands Ironmind sells or just get some rubber bands to work your forearm extensors as to not get imbalances from the CoC flexor work. As Konstantinovs recommends go for close it and hold work--no sense in banging out endless reps. I believe Ironmind even says most adult men that workout regularly cant close the #1. Obviously closing the #3, #3.5, or #4 is world class. Only 4 people I think have ever closed the #4? I can close #2, never tried the #2.5 yet, that is my goal.
    almostgone likes this.

Blog Entries
    Plate pinches are an outstanding exercise, I like to put two plates smooth side out and walk with them until I reach failure x4.

I also do the rope wrist roller, and barbell behind the back wrist curls for forearm development.

Lastly I think I'm the only one in my gym that works out the pronation/supination forearm muscles. I use the cable curl bar by itself and do a wiper type motion. See below link for example.
    I had an electric drill rotate on me a month ago and if I had not been doing these I think my wrist would of been screwed, they are a must have incorporation into forearm workout IMO.

The Pronator - Exercise Chart

novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    Quote Originally Posted by hellomycognomen
    Plate pinches are an outstanding exercise, I like to put two plates smooth side out and walk with them until I reach failure x4. I also do the rope wrist roller, and barbell behind the back wrist curls for forearm development. Lastly I think I'm the only one in my gym that works out the pronation/supination forearm muscles. I use the cable curl bar by itself and do a wiper type motion. See below link for example. I had an electric drill rotate on me a month ago and if I had not been doing these I think my wrist would of been screwed, they are a must have incorporation into forearm workout IMO. The Pronator - Exercise Chart
    I'm going to add some f those resistance band exercises to my routine. Thanks for posting.

CaptainGoose is offline Junior Member
    I've always deadlifted using a double over hand grip with chalk and I think it has made my grip strength really strong. There some guys at the gym who are stronger than me but because I've never used straps until recently, I've really built up the strength over the solid 4 years I've been training. Also I use a hook grip.

Only reason I started using straps recently is because I've found the wear and tear on my thumbs is developing since I'm pulling heavier weights than I was when I first started. Now I'll do the first set with a hook grip and then the rest of them using straps if my thumbs get numb.

My max so far has been a 400 pound deadlift double overhand without straps at 165 pounds.

almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Synhax View Post
    Hey guys,

What exercises do you do to increase grip strength? Recently ive been failing on shrugs because i keep on losing my grip, haven't tried straps yet, i would prefer to work on improving grip strength instead. I also tried my buddy's Captain of Crush grippers and i couldn't even close #1 lol. Is that normal for most people? I haven't really trained forearms directly before but I thought I had decent strength until now. Should I start training with grippers?
    I'll offer what I can in addition to the other posts, if you're looking for overall grip strength improvement, do a Google on "John Brookfield" and grip strength.
    He's kind of the grip strength and conditioning guru if you don't mind old school techniques.
    He has set some pretty f-in impressive records, too.
    Last edited by almostgone; 01-03-2016 at 01:19 PM.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by almostgone View Post
    I'll offer what I can in addition to the other posts, if you're looking for overall grip strength improvement, do a Google on "John Brookfield" and grip strength.
    He's kind of the grip strength and conditioning guru if you don't mind old school techniques.
    He has set some pretty f-in impressive records, too.

I found this youtube video of him. Pretty damn good info! Thank you

Not a problem. He's actually a pretty nice guy. I don't know him personally, but have met him at a couple of events. He's a whiz at grip strength and conditioning. Very strong guy, mentally and physically. He's done some hellacious truck pulls.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

Here's another clip you may like that demonstrates his pinch grip and wrist strength.
    https://youtu.be/9oeFLUAPpns

Thread Information