Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Buster Brown
  • 1 Post By Reiid13

Thread: Preacher curl vs Ez bar curl

Reiid13 is offline Member

Preacher curl vs Ez bar curl

Whats up !

So I've been doing the preacher curl to focus on my biceps and although I have been making great progress the pain in my wrists is insane , it hurts whilst doing the move , but hurts a hell of a lot more after I've finished a set , I get what feels like shooting pains up my forearms . It then also effects me for the rest of the week so I decided to stop biceps for the last 2 weeks

Untill ........

I've bought a EZ curl bar and only put 20kg on it today just to see if I got any wrist pain , I did not which is great ! I done 3 sets which granted a 10 year old could do of 20kg - but i got a good pump lol

My questions :

Say if someone done the perfect preacher curl VS the perfect EZ bar curl , does the EZ bar still give a as good workout on the biceps as preachers ?

Does anyone else prefer EZ bar curls ? It seems less pressure on the wrists ?

Also when I mean EZ curl I mean a stood up back against the wall curl , not a preacher curl with the EZ bar - I use a standard straight bar for preachers

Buster Brown is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Reiid13
    Whats up ! So I've been doing the preacher curl to focus on my biceps and although I have been making great progress the pain in my wrists is insane , it hurts whilst doing the move , but hurts a hell of a lot more after I've finished a set , I get what feels like shooting pains up my forearms . It then also effects me for the rest of the week so I decided to stop biceps for the last 2 weeks Untill ........ I've bought a EZ curl bar and only put 20kg on it today just to see if I got any wrist pain , I did not which is great ! I done 3 sets which granted a 10 year old could do of 20kg - but i got a good pump lol My questions : Say if someone done the perfect preacher curl VS the perfect EZ bar curl , does the EZ bar still give a as good workout on the biceps as preachers ? Does anyone else prefer EZ bar curls ? It seems less pressure on the wrists ? Also when I mean EZ curl I mean a stood up back against the wall curl , not a preacher curl with the EZ bar - I use a standard straight bar for preachers
    There are a ton of good bicep and you should be doing a variety of them. When an exercise that didn't hurt starts too, give it a break for awhile to avoid injury.
    songdog likes this.

Blog Entries
    the whole point of the preacher bench was to make the user use perfect form so as long as your getting a good stretch at the bottom and doing the full range of motion for the exercise with the ez bar then you will get good results...a lot of people use the ez bar on a preacher bench for the same reasons as you it is easier on the wrists...

Quote Originally Posted by ghettoboyd
    the whole point of the preacher bench was to make the user use perfect form so as long as your getting a good stretch at the bottom and doing the full range of motion for the exercise with the ez bar then you will get good results...a lot of people use the ez bar on a preacher bench for the same reasons as you it is easier on the wrists...
    Yeah i heard this from a friend of mine whos a BB , that because of the position of the wrist when preacher curling on a straight bar , if you lift heavy and your wrists arent strong you can get injured easy so a EZ bar is more forgiving , thanks for the advice

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Brown
    There are a ton of good bicep and you should be doing a variety of them. When an exercise that didn't hurt starts too, give it a break for awhile to avoid injury.
    Thanks mate , well i think ill steer away from a straight bar from now on and just stay with the EZ

Also when using wrist straps , do you advise to or not ? Can it hinder any muscle growth around the wrist ?

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    You can try wrist wraps 1st and see if that helps. Sometimes you just need a break. I had a lot of forearm/elbow pain for a while when doing curls. I stopped rotating my wrist in at the bottom of dumbbell curls and it cured my pain. Maybe stop using the ezbar for a while and going with dumbbells?

Are you doing them sitting or standing? If standing try leaning your back against a door jamb or something to stop you from leaning. If seated change your seat position so it's a little higher or lower.

Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts
    Are you doing them sitting or standing? If standing try leaning your back against a door jamb or something to stop you from leaning. If seated change your seat position so it's a little higher or lower.
    Hi LB !
    The preacher curls which was the main curl i was doing for a while were seated , the EZ bar curl i have never done a session with it apart from the just " pick up and see how it feels " try yesterday with only 20kg

I guess I'll try standing up with back against the wall
    lovbyts likes this.

zempey is offline Anabolic Member
    I only use a ez curl bar when I do preachers, a straight bar puts way too much pressure on my wrists in that position. That being said, I don't do preachers often, my main bi exercise is standing big bar curls.

Quote Originally Posted by zempey
    my main bi exercise is standing big bar curls.
    Is that with a straight or EZ ?

zempey is offline Anabolic Member
    The big straight bar you would use for benching, I don't use the ez for standing curls.

pitweiler is offline Member
    I gotta use the ez bar also or it hurts my wrists. On the preacher or standing

Thread Information