swolehead is offline Member

is accessory core necessary for powerlifters!!!!!!!!!

I like this question hopefully this will get some attention and educated opinions. so I was arguing with my girl and her dad today about this they believe it's necessary I say other wise. my belief is along the line of heavy deads squats and bench work the core efficiently enough to need now extra focus on abs I was doing this wen I deadlifted 495 I did it at 600+ and will continue to do it on my way to 700 and 800 and so on. without rambling anymore what r you guys opinions on this topic?

NACH3 is offline VET
    Blog Entries
    I'm no pure PL by any means... But from what I understand some do assisted core exercises(my belief is b/c they lack the stabilizing muscles to support such heavy weight on the big 3....

With that said it seems that the elite do not! That they train the big three all the Time(so they're suppoting core muscle group is already strong from performing these three heavy lifts in there w/o regimens!

Here's the 5 things one can do to improve on PL lifts... W/out the assisted core training...
    1) Pause In Key Places
    2) SLIGHTLY Vary Your Bar/Hand/Foot Placement
    3) Strategic Belt Use(I know some dong agree lol
    4) Lats Are A Lifter’s Best Friend
    5) Periodize The Specificity Continuum

While others believe it may be a good idea, I know Lillebridge, Malenichev etc etc only implement the big three when training so they are the elite!

Is it neccessary - I would think it depends on the individual! genetics, how well rounded one is(top, bottom, and back)... But if one is lacking in their core than one could use assisted core training but if not needed(like no straps or belts) than don't imo...busy weighing in on the matter....

couldnt agree more with what you said thanks for the reply nach3

Buster Brown is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I think accessory work is part of the overall development and is necessary. I train 4 times a week and do two different ab exercises each workout. I also do additional work on my lower back, hams and glutes. Stiff leg DLs, reverse hypers, weighted hypers and even the hip adductor machine.......and I feel great and my lifts go up.

JohnnyJim is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by swolehead View Post
    I like this question hopefully this will get some attention and educated opinions. so I was arguing with my girl and her dad today about this they believe it's necessary I say other wise. my belief is along the line of heavy deads squats and bench work the core efficiently enough to need now extra focus on abs I was doing this wen I deadlifted 495 I did it at 600+ and will continue to do it on my way to 700 and 800 and so on. without rambling anymore what r you guys opinions on this topic?
    I believe that less is more, but I do believe that eventually, we all need to work on a weakness.

Snatch-grip deadlifts, when done properly, is the absolute best bangforyourbuck exercise. But all the muscles that it works will never grow equally if that is all you do.

I made that mistake a long time ago. Lol

Mr.Anderson is offline Associate Member
    I believe it's necessary for anyone, no matter what you are going into: BB, PL, crossfit.

Khazima is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Here's an interesting article on the subject, one that changed my perspective on core training for powerlifting and pushed me to start doing it again.

http://anabolic minds.com/forum/content/core-confusion-6510/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter (no space)

jackfrost88 is offline Associate Member
    Definitely. Everyone has weak or sticking points and working on them carries over to the 3 lifts.

600@50 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I think doing some additional core work is beneficial for stabilization of the big 3 lifts but much more importantly will aid in injury prevention. You don't have to do set after set but a few sets of abs or some other core exercise at the end of a workout won't hurt.
    Last edited by 600@50; 04-10-2015 at 05:51 PM.

I understand for the point of injury prevention but I don't belive it neccesary as far as stabilization if someone squats and maintains perfect form in the Torso and then the legs gives out half way on the way up then I see no need to do extra core work it was already strong enough to handle that weigh. your only as strong as your weakest link and in this instance it is the legs so Imo accessory core work would be unnecessary except for as has been stated to prevent injury

Khazima is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by swolehead View Post
    I understand for the point of injury prevention but I don't belive it neccesary as far as stabilization if someone squats and maintains perfect form in the Torso and then the legs gives out half way on the way up then I see no need to do extra core work it was already strong enough to handle that weigh. your only as strong as your weakest link and in this instance it is the legs so Imo accessory core work would be unnecessary except for as has been stated to prevent injury
    That's a bit like saying there's no need to do any tricep work because your problem is off the chest, it's still beneficial to do some tricep accessories, but you should focus on power off the chest primarily.

You can never have a core too strong for powerlifting.

Buster Brown is offline Knowledgeable Member
    This is true. I don't know of any experienced PL worth his salt that doesn't do core and accessory work. I think not doing it is a sign of a poor work ethic in which one will never truly reach his fullest potential and development .

KA24 is offline Junior Member
    Honestly, after powerlifting for a while, I found that the abs can become somewhat overpowering and bulging. Someone looking for aesthetics would be better off dropping fat and maybe hitting them with just bodyweight and volume. Not for powerlifting though, they get PLENTY of work.

I'd much rather spend my extra time doing mobility work and correcting technique. Also, working on other minor issues some might have that can take a toll after repeated powerlifting training. Shoulder flexibility, IT bands, hip and ankle stability.

I think that training heavy without a belt is very effective at building up the core.
    I currently train only without a belt and am going to compete without a belt in a month.
    However, my next training cycle is going to be with a belt.

Juced_porkchop is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I think you should train the core a little.

Thread Information