beenie is offline Senior Member

Severe leg cramps while sleeping

I have experienced this problem for several years and was wondiring if anyone else has, what the cause is , and what can do to get it to go away.

When I really increase my cardio, I wake up in the night, often several times with SEVERE muscle leg cramps. They are not necessarily in the same leg and ofen extend form my calf to the front of where my ankle would be, and sometimes from the muscle that goes from the knee to the pelvis.

I only get these on nights after I have done very intensive cardio for long periods (70-90 minutes), and I don't get them as often when I cut back the cardio to 30-45 minutes. I am currently trying to cut my bf% so I want to go high on the cardio, but I thoought I was going to die last night while I should have been sleeping.

The only way I can get them to stop is to get out of bed and keep waliking on them for about 10 minutes. I usually drink some water too in case it is dehydration that is causing my problem.

I am on a low carb diet and thought it may be diet related. I started taking extra potassium, but that has not helped. Tryed drinking tonic water for the quinine, and that did not help either. I always take strong multivitimins. My preference would be to stay away from my Doctor because of my fear that she will ask other questions of me that I do not want to answer. So, any ideas would really help me.
    Last edited by beenie; 12-19-2001 at 08:30 AM.

partyboynyc is offline Anabolic Member

you just about answered your own question as to why you get them

i would consider 32oz of water 2 hrs before your cardio.i know it can be a problem doing cardio if you have to run to the bathroom ever 30 mins, but if your body needs it you will absorb it and not have to urinate as frequently.

also, a good electrolyte sports drink(16-20 oz should be sufficient) cut w/ 50% water, since they are very concentrated, w/ a 1/2 a teaspoon of salt before bedtime should keep the nightly cramps away.sodium will cause slight water retention, but nothing significant at that dose.

I really drink A LOT of water before and during my work out. Usually 4-6 20oz bottles in 3 hrs. And usually one before (albeit not 2 hours before).

I have stayed away from gatoraid becuse the stuff is loaded with sugar, which I really don't eat at all as part of my unbalanced low carb diet.

CrazyRussian is offline Associate Member
    push a lot of water after your workout and be sure to stretch RIGHT after you workout especially if you are leaving the gym and it is cold out side or whatever, i got that after football games, i knew i would wake up with cramps if i didnt stretch, but water and flexability will help.

Sicilian30 is offline Respected Member
    Also not only drinking water, but eat alot of fruits that are high in vitamins. Eatting alot of oranges keeps me from getting leg cramps. Sounds likes your muscles aren't getting the nutrician they need. I was always told to prevent leg cramps eat lots of oranges, works for me, I used to get them all the time, but now I don't and I do alot of cardio, I mean alot. I am sure there is a scientific explanation I just don't know it and too lazy to go research it right now. Try it, see if it works. Works for me. Hope this helps bro.

bex
    bex is offline Banned
    Lots of water and take some vit C...

Bro, in addition to what all these guys said.... cut down on the duration of the cardio.

What are you doing 70-90 minutes for?!?!? Are you trying to rid yourself of all your muscle as well?? I would limit yourself to 45 mins 4-5 days a week. If you need more, then do it twice a day. Once in the morning on an empty stomach and again later in the afternoon. But please don't do over an hour in one sitting! That is very catabolic for your body. That should get rid of the cramps too.

gorilla is offline Associate Member
    HMMMMMMMMMMMMM...if its not the water/potasium. It could be another electrolyte. SODIUM, MAGNESIUM. My suggestion is some PEDYALYE (infant electrolyte drink) it usually in the baby section of the grocery store. its absoulutely loaded with just about every electolye known. try that i'm almost positive it should help.

let us know

gorilla

Tobey is offline Retired IRON CHEF Mod

Good call Crazy Russian

Good call bud.
    Yes streching can prevent alot of this and you have already heard enough about water. What I'm wondering is why do you do your cardio for so long. Maybe you should only hit the cardio at 30-45 minutes where you are not having this problem. If you want to increase your cardio, do not increase the amount of time as you are doing enough as it is. Try increasing the frequency of the workouts say 35-45 minutes in the morning and 35-45 minutes in the evenings. At the duration of the cardio routines that you descibed you stand the chance of burning off lean muscle mass anyway unless you are eating ehough caloires to fuel a mack truck AND you evade the problems that you are currently having with cramps.
    Tobey

They do hurt like a MF don't they!

I do the heavy cardio to cut bf%. It works. Yes I lose bulk as a result, but not streangth. My lifting weights continue to increase in spite of the heavy cardio. My method is to bulk for 2-3 months when I do 40 minutes cardio (and get no cramps), then lean for 2-3 months when I do 70-90 minutes cardio (thats when I get them). It is unlikely that I am going to change this because I like the way it makes me look and I am very vain.

One of the trainers in my gym suggested that in addition to the potassium, I supplement calcium and magnesium. I started to do so two days ago. In addition I started stretching after exersise because someone here told me to. Also because of suggestions here, I upped my water intake to 8 20oz bottles of water and drink one before I start me workout.

I am not sure, but one or more of these things MAY be paying off, because last night I had only one leg cramp and its severity was substatioally less severe than they have been in the past (I was able to work it out in a couple of minutes). For me that is i HUGE improvement.

Sounds great, bro. I still would split up that cardio into two sessions instead of doing it all at once, but that's just me. You will lose just as much fat, but less muscle that way. Hope the cramps keep getting better...

Thread Information