Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dirkmcgirk

Thread: What's the minimum amount i can workout without losing size??

dirkmcgirk is offline Junior Member

What's the minimum amount i can workout without losing size??

If i want to focus more on my martial arts what kind of workout frequency should i maintain to prevent muscle loss.

Possible consideration:
    I am on TRT
    i have been at a steady weight for months
    I life 5 times a week but would like to do a full body workout once a week or every other week so i can do martial arts 4-5 times a week
    corestorm likes this.

Gaspaco is offline "The Italian Stallion"
    Nutrition will do that...

Buster Brown is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Your body is only as strong and big as the demands you put on it require . Your genetics will dictate what residual muscle you keep. If you stop training for size, you will lose your size. Everything needs to be hit once a week with some heavy work sets included.

Khazima is offline Knowledgeable Member
    2 full body workouts per week should help you maintain but the main thing you need to focus on is eating enough to maintain. When i was doing martial arts 5-6 days a week i was finding it nearly impossible to eat enough to gain size, i just kept getting more and more lean.

JohnnyJim is offline Banned
    Hi Dirk.

I'd like to know your detailed stats. How much you bench? How much you squat? Etc.

This one is from my own experience. I find that any exercise lasting less than 5 sets once a week has virtually zero positive effects on strength gains. Certain conditions apply, which are:

* These are "flat sets", meaning you do 5 sets of X reps with Y pounds. You do them in a way where your last set will either fail, or have you severely struggling to complete. Not all sets are taken to muscular failure.

* Rest intervals will last 3 to 5 minutes each.

* Only a once-a-week workout per exercise and bodypart.

My inclined bench press went up zero pounds and zero reps after doing 3 sets of 8 reps. Yet my barbell row went up SIGNIFICANTLY after doing 5 sets of 8 reps. That is just after 1 week of training, to where I was an absolute novice vulnerable to a Rippetoenian workout. lol

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyJim
    Hi Dirk. I'd like to know your detailed stats. How much you bench? How much you squat? Etc. This one is from my own experience. I find that any exercise lasting less than 5 sets once a week has virtually zero positive effects on strength gains. Certain conditions apply, which are: * These are "flat sets", meaning you do 5 sets of X reps with Y pounds. You do them in a way where your last set will either fail, or have you severely struggling to complete. Not all sets are taken to muscular failure. * Rest intervals will last 3 to 5 minutes each. * Only a once-a-week workout per exercise and bodypart. My inclined bench press went up zero pounds and zero reps after doing 3 sets of 8 reps. Yet my barbell row went up SIGNIFICANTLY after doing 5 sets of 8 reps. That is just after 1 week of training, to where I was an absolute novice vulnerable to a Rippetoenian workout. lol
    Training for strength and training for hypertrophy are two different things.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Brown View Post
    This is true I couldn't care less about losing strength it's size i'm concerned about. The weight training 5x's a week is having an adverse effect on my martial arts training and I literally have no desire to get bigger. Sure, if someone wants to hand me an extra inch or 2 on my quads, calves and arms i won't be mad but i am done working for it. I figure at 6'3 240 I'm ok in that department.

Quote Originally Posted by dirkmcgirk
    This is true I couldn't care less about losing strength it's size i'm concerned about. The weight training 5x's a week is having an adverse effect on my martial arts training and I literally have no desire to get bigger. Sure, if someone wants to hand me an extra inch or 2 on my quads, calves and arms i won't be mad but i am done working for it. I figure at 6'3 240 I'm ok in that department.
    I did martial arts for years and you really need to walk a fine line between flexibility and size. Kinda like chasing two rabbits. Decide which one you are more passionate about and build your training around those needs. It's just that simple, you can't be both .....I couldn't anyway.

JohnnyJim is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Brown View Post
    This is true if you're almost advanced and beyond. In the beginning, Olympic lifting, Powerlifting, and High rep squats will have virtually the same effects on the person.

I would argue that early specialization is reserved for countries utilizing talent for a specific sport. Like China, for example, training promising children for the Olympics.

Op simply wants to know how much work is required to keep the size he has in which everybody part trained intensely once a week with the appropriate macros to support his activity level should suffice.

Blog Entries
    If you're burning too many calories doing martial arts you'll shrink no matter what. I learn that the hard way every basketball season. In those 5 days you lift, it's hard to imagine you'll be hitting all the muscle groups with 2-3 days. Is it possible? yes. It all depends on how intensely you train and how you make use of your time at the gym. Inevitably i would say to lift heavy and eat alot and that should help you keep size on the body-parts you're working on.

corestorm is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirkmcgirk View Post
    If i want to focus more on my martial arts what kind of workout frequency should i maintain to prevent muscle loss.

Possible consideration:
    I am on TRT
    i have been at a steady weight for months
    I life 5 times a week but would like to do a full body workout once a week or every other week so i can do martial arts 4-5 times a week
    If you do a full body work out once a week on TRT with a good diet, you will stay in good shape and gain size not loose it.

ks1234 is offline Junior Member
    I would say 2 full body workouts will keep you going but 3 would be optimal

Can someone recommend a good full body workout?

Thread Information