Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Khazima
  • 3 Post By Buster Brown
  • 1 Post By Wintermaul
  • 1 Post By Sgt. Hartman
  • 1 Post By Buster Brown

Thread: Cardio - HIIT vs low/moderate intensity cardio?

ascendant is offline Senior Member

Cardio - HIIT vs low/moderate intensity cardio?

I wanted to get everyone's thoughts on HIIT cardio? While I have seen a lot of research backing it and showing that it can burn more fat than traditional low to moderate intensity cardio, when looking into what the pros do, I still see them all sticking to the traditional form of cardio.

I dismissed HIIT cardio years back because of criticism regarding it utilizing glycogen and muscle tissue as energy sources, but now research seems to indicate that it is allegedly more effective at maintaining muscle. I can't help but find that hard to believe though when you are doing something such as carb-cycling. Regardless, I'm just at a loss why if it is being hyped so much and research seems to be showing positive results, yet the pros still seem to be writing it off?

Khazima is offline Knowledgeable Member
    You're right in that it has been shown to be more effective than low intensity cardio, and i think the reasons people would still be doing it is down to a few reasons, injuries (HIIT can be taxing on the joints depending on your choice of exercise), effort (HIIT is hard), lack of knowledge (still thinking high intensity cardio burns muscle) and simply being stuck in their ways, for so long, it's been thought oh do your slow cardio in the morning fasted within a certain intensity so you don't burn muscle. It's simply not the case.
    ascendant likes this.

Buster Brown is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Khazima
    You're right in that it has been shown to be more effective than low intensity cardio, and i think the reasons people would still be doing it is down to a few reasons, injuries (HIIT can be taxing on the joints depending on your choice of exercise), effort (HIIT is hard), lack of knowledge (still thinking high intensity cardio burns muscle) and simply being stuck in their ways, for so long, it's been thought oh do your slow cardio in the morning fasted within a certain intensity so you don't burn muscle. It's simply not the case.
    I have never seen a fat sprinter!
    Khazima, RaginCajun and GeeDaz like this.

Mr.Anderson is offline Associate Member
    HIIT is not so boring...

Wintermaul is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ascendant View Post
    I wanted to get everyone's thoughts on HIIT cardio? While I have seen a lot of research backing it and showing that it can burn more fat than traditional low to moderate intensity cardio, when looking into what the pros do, I still see them all sticking to the traditional form of cardio.

I dismissed HIIT cardio years back because of criticism regarding it utilizing glycogen and muscle tissue as energy sources, but now research seems to indicate that it is allegedly more effective at maintaining muscle. I can't help but find that hard to believe though when you are doing something such as carb-cycling. Regardless, I'm just at a loss why if it is being hyped so much and research seems to be showing positive results, yet the pros still seem to be writing it off?
    If you have the energy to do HIIT its very good at burning fat and getting in shape. Personally i found it effective because it burns alot of kcal fast, 1 session for 30min burn alot and doesnt take much time. But then it cost some effort to actually get it done. For me its hard to do it. I cant find the energy on a diet to actually do it 100%. I found it MUCH more easier to just take a fast walk for 1 hour, or ride a bike for 1 hour and sweat it out over time than actually give 100% and be totally breathless after a HIIT-workout.
    HIIT on a bulk could maybe be more interesting to keep the fat-gain down a bit. On bulking we have more energy to burn anyway, but on a diet? mmm...
    ascendant likes this.

Uphill sprints would be near impossible at 300lbs. I don't think their bodies are well suited to that type of exercise due to their size and the amount of gear they're on. I can't imagine elevating you're heart rate like that on a couple grams of tren .
    ascendant likes this.

Sign by Danasoft - Get Your Sign

MR-FQ320 is offline This means war!
    Everyone talks about HIT but nobody gives examples of workouts or sessions. Please enlighten.

Ashop is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ascendant View Post

I love HIIT cardio training. I still mix it up with regular standard cardio sessions,,,but it gives me the best effect overall.
    As someone else mentioned,,,I don't do it every cardio session just to avoid injury.

Quote Originally Posted by MR-FQ320
    Everyone talks about HIT but nobody gives examples of workouts or sessions. Please enlighten.
    Here is your enlightenment: get on a treadmill and warm up for 5 minutes.....then:
    Walk at a brisk pace for 1 min
    Jog for 1 min
    Sprint for 1 min
    Repeat cycle 5 times then warm down.

Go run a 40 yard sprint, walk back and repeat 6 to 7 times.

Those are two of many many more
    ascendant likes this.

AnimeRocks88 is offline Junior Member
    Use HIIT to vary my work outs, and to save time as well.

Ahh that ...

Would the insanity workout programme suffice ?

tarmyg is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Here is my current HIIT program.

5 min warm-up

1. Set treadmill to max speed
    2. Run 15 sec
    3. Jump off to stand on sides for 15 sec
    4. Repeat

I do this until I literally would fall off if I did more.

Thanks
    ~t

bina is offline Female Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tarmyg
    Here is my current HIIT program. 5 min warm-up 1. Set treadmill to max speed 2. Run 15 sec 3. Jump off to stand on sides for 15 sec 4. Repeat I do this until I literally would fall off if I did more. Thanks ~t
    I do this also except I can't sprint max speed. I get to 7.5 on a 1 incline. It works really well to sett tabata app on my phone to keep me on pace. I set 25sec run, 10 sec rest

I currently do:
    5 min @ 4.00 with a .5 incline throughout
    Then I do five sets consisting of
    1 min @ 4.5
    1 min @ 6.0
    1 min @ 7.0

Each set I bump it up a tad so my last sprint to date is 7.6.
    Then I do a 5 minute warm down at 4.0

It's been pretty effective so far as I do it three times a week along with some carb cycling for a decent pre cut thang.

Well I made a start at HIIT, 60secs walk, 30secs run, total 10 mins, 100 cals. Front of calves burnt up

Khazima is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MR-FQ320 View Post
    Well I made a start at HIIT, 60secs walk, 30secs run, total 10 mins, 100 cals. Front of calves burnt up
    If you did it right (shouldn't be able to do anymore than 15 sec sprints as the targeted energy pathway depleting ATP last no longer than that and will take at least a minute to recover when you're new to HIIT) you burnt A LOT more than 100 cals. Especially since the long lasting effects of HIIT burn more total calories over time than LISS (low intensity steady state).

Quote Originally Posted by Khazima
    If you did it right (shouldn't be able to do anymore than 15 sec sprints as the targeted energy pathway depleting ATP last no longer than that and will take at least a minute to recover when you're new to HIIT) you burnt A LOT more than 100 cals. Especially since the long lasting effects of HIIT burn more total calories over time than LISS (low intensity steady state).
    Well, it was a run, not sure about all out sprinting.

What is ATP ?

ATP adenosine triphosphate.....just do the best you can and try to not make it overly complicated. The more you do them the better you will become at them.

Thread Information