Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By musclestack

Thread: Maximum muscle growth

mind&muscle is offline Associate Member

Maximum muscle growth

Ok this subject has probably been talked about over a million times but what training stye is better for maximum muscle growth very high reps and sets with moderate weight. Or very heavy weights with low sets and normal reps jw.

Buster Brown is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Heavy weight in the 6-8 rep range for hypertrophy .

Quote Originally Posted by mind&muscle
    Ok this subject has probably been talked about over a million times but what training stye is better for maximum muscle growth very high reps and sets with moderate weight. Or very heavy weights with low sets and normal reps jw.
    6-8 reps with heavy weight for hypertrophy .

Khazima is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Hypertrophy is driven by volume, progressive volume over time. It's safe to say that anything over 60% of your 1rm done to adequate intensity (say RPE 8-10, 8 being 2 reps left, 10 being no reps left) will produce near maximal hypertrophy. After that you need to figure out things like your optimal frequency, get enough food, enough rest etc.

600@50 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Brown View Post

This ^^^^^^^^^^primarily. However over the course of your training you need to incorporate higher reps and lower reps periodically to shock your body and keep your mind fresh. The body is very good at adapting to stresses placed upon it so variety is needed. If you head to the gym and just aren't feeling it that day then mix up the reps and sets and the movements. Your mind or body may need something different. Otherwise going to the gym can become a chore.

Thanks for the input I train PREETY hard just need dial in my diet and take the Traing to the next level I wanna compete in the next year trying to put on some serious size

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Brown
    how many sets would you recommend ?

Silvercrank is offline Junior Member
    8-12 rep range for me while increasing the amount i lift with good form, as for sets it would depend how many exercises you're doing and what kind of a routine if i'm on a full body routine like HST i would only do 1-2 sets per exercise, if i'm on a 1x bodypart a week split i usually do 3-4 sets each exercise. German volume training has you doing 10x10, i think most change their rep ranges, rep tempo, amount of sets often.
    Last edited by Silvercrank; 04-23-2015 at 10:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mind&muscle
    how many sets would you recommend ?
    There is nothing set in stone as far as an exact number of sets but for an example I like this as of late:
    Compound movement: w/u 8/8/6/6/5
    Compound 10/8/8/6
    Accessory 4 sets 8-10
    Accessory 4 sets 8-10

This is just one rep scheme I use as there are many variations.

JohnnyJim is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mind&muscle View Post
    If you're thinking long term, all rep ranges are necessary.

If you're thinking which will give you the most hypertrophy right now, the "sweet spot" have always been 6 to 10 reps.

I also think that the relative load is important. No weights below 70% of one rep max.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyJim
    If you're thinking long term, all rep ranges are necessary. If you're thinking which will give you the most hypertrophy right now, the "sweet spot" have always been 6 to 10 reps. I also think that the relative load is important. No weights below 70% of one rep max.
    I don't under stand this 1rm thing ok say I max 315 what should my starting set be Mayby that will help me get a better understand

musclestack is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mind&muscle View Post
    I don't under stand this 1rm thing ok say I max 315 what should my starting set be Mayby that will help me get a better understand
    Well, if you're going by the advice that JohnnyJim gave you above, then in your example, 315 x 70% (.7) = 220.5

So, using the lifting scheme that Buster laid out, I would suggest doing something like this:

Barbell Bench: warm up with a couple light sets; 1st set: 220 lbs for 10 reps; 2nd set: 250 lbs for 8 reps; 3rd set: same as second; 4th set: as much weight as you can put on that you think you can get for 6 reps. **I like to have a 5th set on all my main exercises (bench, squat, DL, shoulder press) where I go about 65% of my 1RM (1 rep max) and bust out about 12.....but then again, I'm a 'powerbuilder' at heart, so I train for both size AND strength.

You can use the above scheme to head over to incline press as well.

Then add in some accessory work such as flies, 4 sets of 8-10 reps, as Buster said (I personally like 12 reps with flies, sometimes 15).

As mentioned, there is no 'right way' to lift. Start here, then tweak it to suit you. What may work wonders for one person, may not have the same effect for someone else.

Good luck!

NACH3 is offline VET
    Blog Entries
    I like HIT.... 6-10 rep range on all compound movements(even as low as 3-5 on drops to hit your required rep range of 6-10)... Always to failure(then beyond - force reps/negs/RPs - especially doing HIT) Accessory work such as pec deck/cables/side/front laterals etc 10-12(12 being structural hypertrophy) but more towards muscular endurance!

Go heavy w/lighter reps(4-10) will suffice... My sweet spot is also 6-10 but like 600@50 stated it's very much a necessity to constantly change things up...

Alright thanks gonnA put all this in affect

Blaz Kavlic is offline Associate Member
    I like using a combination of high and low rep sets. I do 4 sets of each exercise. I add weight in sets 1,2 and 3, with set 3 being HEAVY until failure. If you're punching out 10 reps in your last set, you dont have enough weight on. For set 4 i drop the weight back to about 60% of the max, and really concentrate on nailing the fibres in each and every part of the muscle. I do this until failure. I have very short rest breaks between sets and often super set exercises with zero rest.

Lifting heavy is obviously the center point of pushing the muscles to the limits, but never sacrifice form for weight.

musclestack is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaz Kavlic View Post
    I like using a combination of high and low rep sets. I do 4 sets of each exercise. I add weight in sets 1,2 and 3, with set 3 being HEAVY until failure. If you're punching out 10 reps in your last set, you dont have enough weight on. For set 4 i drop the weight back to about 60% of the max, and really concentrate on nailing the fibres in each and every part of the muscle. I do this until failure. I have very short rest breaks between sets and often super set exercises with zero rest.

Lifting heavy is obviously the center point of pushing the muscles to the limits, but never sacrifice form for weight.
    Agree with all of this as this is very similar to the way I train, although I like to rest enough between sets to where my muscles aren't 'burning' anymore, this way I can push/pull as heavy as possible each set. This is mostly individual preference, however. A lot of guys just like to get that 'pump'. While I also like the pump, and that's what I strive for mainly on all of my accessory lifts, I am more into lifting more weight than I did the week before, even if it's only 1 more rep.
    Khazima likes this.

Thread Information