musclestack is offline Productive Member

please critique my training routine

Ok, guys. I've put together a rough draft of what I plan to start. All of my main exercises (bb bench, squat, deadlift, and db shoulder press) will obviously stay in there, but I added/changed a few accessory lifts to give my body a little shock. I start my cycle in 4 weeks. Please take a look at it, and let me know what you think. My main goals for this next year are as follows: get my chest to 'pop' out more, peak on biceps, stronger and bigger legs, and bigger calves. And, of course, to just get bigger and leaner all around lol.

EXERCISE SETS REPS

Monday (Back)

Bent over Rows 2 warm up sets/4 working sets 10/10/6-8/10
    Pull Downs with Triangular Shaped Bar 4 10/10/6-8/10
    Reverse Lat Pull Downs 4 10/10/6-8/10
    DB Rows 4 10/10/10/10

*I'm looking for possibly one more back exercise. Any suggestions?
    **I have been using the straight bar for lat pull downs for years now, and thought I would switch it up to the triangular shaped bar.

Tuesday (Chest)

BB Bench 2 warm up sets/4 working sets 10/8/3-5/10-12
    DB Incline Bench 4 10/10/6-8/10
    BB Decline Bench 4 10/10/10
    DB Flat Bench (Light) 4 10-12/10-12/10-12/10-12
    Incline DB Flys 4 12/12/12/12

*Is there too much pressing here? I want to get my currently 'flat' chest to pop more as mentioned, but I also train for strength so I cannot sacrifice the BB bench. I added in DB flat press with light-moderate weight at high reps to get more of a pump to the chest, which will hopefully increase hypertrophy.

Wednesday (Legs)

Back Squat 2 warm up sets/4 working sets 10/8/3-5/12
    Leg Press 4 12/12/12/12
    Walking BB Lunge 4 20 Steps for all Sets

*My legs are always dead after this, but I was thinking maybe I should add in leg extensions and hamstring curls. What do you think?

Thursday (Shoulders)

DB shoulder press 2 warm up sets/4 working sets 10/8/3-5/10
    Machine Shoulder Press 4 10/10/10/10
    Front Lateral Raises 4 10/10/10/10 (each arm)
    Upright Rows 4 10/10/10/10
    Side Lateral Raises (with cables) 4 10/10/10/10

*I can't do BB shoulder press due to an old shoulder injury, so I stick to dumbells.

Friday (Deadlift & Biceps)

Deadlift 2 warm up sets/4 working sets 5/5/3/3
    Straight Legged Deadlift 4 8/8/8/8
    Seated DB curls 4 12/12/12/12
    Seated Preacher Curls 4 12/12/12/12

*For the deadlift, I'm just looking for strength to increase my max for my next competition.
    **Do you think I should add in one more exercise for biceps? If so, what?

While critiquing this, please keep in mind that I am a 'powerbuilder', meaning that I train for both size AND strength. I want to be as big as possible, but also have the strength to back it up. This is why on all of my 'main' lifts, I incorporate both high reps at moderate weight as well as low reps with heavy weight. Also, on many of my exercises, on my last set, I actually just end up going to failure (which is more or less 8-12 reps).
    Last edited by musclestack; 04-29-2015 at 12:22 PM.

Ok, so I had that all the exercises/reps/sets spaced out so it would be easy to read, but it posted all together. Sorry about that!

From left to right, it's EXERCISE, then SETS, then REPS.

Ok, I understand it's a bit difficult to read, but I would really appreciate it if you would take a few minutes to read it and critique for me.

MR-FQ320 is offline This means war!
    I can see what you are trying to achieve,

Where are the tricep exercises ?

Why for eg do u do this 12/12/3-4/12 ??? I don't understand that bit.

bb bench won't develop your chest so much, I have the same problem, use cables and yes it's too much pressing and exercises.

At the moment I'm doing a compound big movement in the morning, and then same body part high reps attacking same muscle group in the evening, and im happy with the results.

Thank you for the reply, MR. I appreciate it. Ahh, yes, triceps. Well, the thing is, I haven't done a real tricep workout in years. My triceps are the most developed muscle on my body. I was actually gifted with somewhat large, strong triceps (in relation to the rest of my body), and with all the pressing I do, they get a really good workout already. I know I should still probably do them, but I think if I did, they would look pretty silly compared to my other muscle groups lol!

As far as my rep schemes, I believe you're referring to my compound lifts where I'll go 10/8/3-5/12. Let me explain. As mentioned, I 'powerbuild', meaning I train for both size and strength. So, I do one working set of 10 reps, then add weight to where I know I can get it for about 8 reps, then I'll have one really heavy set that I know I can rep for a few (once I get this heavy set for at least 5 reps as my strength increases, I increase the weight for this set the following week). I do these couple of low rep sets for strength. Then, I finish off with one or two more sets with higher reps (for hypertrophy). I'm trying to get the best of both worlds (size and strength). Most of my accessory work is done in the 10-12 rep range (for size). Hope that makes sense.

I realize that barbell bench does not directly stimulate the chest muscles as much as other exercises, but keep in mind that I'm also in this for strength and I also compete, so dropping any of the 'big 3' is out of the question. I have also found, at least for me, that BB bench is one of the best upper body mass builders for OVERALL muscles (meaning it targets, chest, shouders, triceps, even back).

Do you use cables instead of DB for flys? I may have to switch that up.

Keeping in mind my style of lifting, what would you take away/add to my chest day since you say it's too much pressing? Should I drop the decline possibly?

MR-FQ320 is offline This means war!
    On my phone so I'll give the short hand version.

Train triceps and freaky triceps then ! Don't neglect them to look "normal".

I also train for strength, size and aesthetics :-) but bulk and strength train in the winter, shape and fitness in the summer

600@50 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Instead of doing BB and DB bench together on chest day try just the BB one workout and DB the next. Or DB every third chest day. I know you said you train for strength but just be careful of too much volume. You don't need set after set to get stronger. I've found by taking a day just for DBs it has helped my start on the bench significantly. And it just gives my mind and body a break from the heavy work. Kind of like a built in deload day. Plus I really feel that the DBs work my chest much better than the BB does from the soreness between the two movements.

Thank you for the replies, MR and 600.

600-I like that idea of 'deloading' with DB every third week.

Do either of you have any input on the other workouts (besides chest)?

Joco71 is offline Senior Member
    Changing things up once and awhile should help you get past any flat spots. We are creatures of habit by nature.

Quote Originally Posted by Joco71 View Post
    Changing things up once and awhile should help you get past any flat spots. We are creatures of habit by nature.
    Thanks, Joco. That's exactly what I'm doing. I've had the same lifting routine for a long time now, so I'm now using the new routine I posted above. I'm still keeping all my basic compound movements, but adding in/changing up the accessory work. Just looking for some feeback on my new plan.

600@50 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    You could substitute single leg leg press for squats and for the DL you could swap sumo for conventional style every so often. I don't like to change out the squat foot placement just because of the mechanics and groove involved with the squat. Like wide stance or narrow verses regular competition stance. But to do a total different movement doesn't seem to affect the groove as much. Try the single leg leg press in place of the squat. Ed Coan loved them. Also pause squats and front squats, if you can do them, in place of the regular squat will act as a deload/variation week too.
    Just remember to not let the volume creep up too high if you're training strength and power.

solesrch is offline Junior Member
    Looks like a good base but could use a little more variety (like change db bench and bb bench). Great start.

Thread Information