• 1 Post By jackfrost88
  • 1 Post By NACH3
  • 3 Post By ghettoboyd
  • 4 Post By saymass003
  • 1 Post By Synhax
  • 1 Post By NACH3
  • 2 Post By ghettoboyd
  • 1 Post By bioengineered

Thread: Training partner? '-arnold loves them' yay, or nay?

C3RB3RUS is offline Banned

Training partner? '-arnold loves them' yay, or nay?

So i think a training partner who's dedicated is awesome. especially if the partner is very dedicated, a lot stronger and very willing to help. The spots are muy excelente. I F_cking hate a bad spot.

their knowledge and motivation is excellent. Another Plus is that you can just follow their routine. M A D E

Khazima is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I train with one specific person all the time and a team a lot of the time. My training partner is a fair bit stronger than me and has about 150lb on my deadlift lol but I'm essentially his trainer.

I find it really beneficial to train with others but there's also advantages to training by yourself, less distractions, less variables in mood etc.
    DCI likes this.

yea, mood swings and pointless convo are annoying. I'm fortunate enough to have a very well balanced dedicated human being as a partner. sometimes it's better to shut up, or just talk only lifting. i'm done working out without a partner if i can help it. they have to be about business though. I would pay for a good trainer if i could afford one.

Bio-Active is online now AR-Hall of Famer
    I have had many training partners over the years. I prefer training alone now but I don't get to very often cause there is almost always someone stepping in wanting to train with me.

yea. I've always trained alone, so i want to see what having a partner has to offer. I'm learning new things

jackfrost88 is offline Associate Member
    Never found one that has my level of drive (or more), or that can workout at the times I do. Because of this always rolled solo but if I were to find a more dedicated clone of me it would be awesome haha
    C3RB3RUS likes this.

saymass003 is offline Female Member
    My husband is my training partner. At first it was hard for me to understand why he was so serious in the gym. Now that I am as serious as he is our training is great! When we enter the gym we are no longer husband and wife but gym partners who push each other and are not afraid to say how we feel. I wouldn't trade what we have for anything. When he was away, my friend tried to train with me, but all she did was whine about how heavy the weights were, and I never trained with her again.

Synhax is offline Associate Member
    I train alone, less distraction and much more focus, no chit chatting between sets, saves a lot more time. The only time I found it beneficial was when I was training with someone much more experienced than me when I was first starting off and I was basically learning from him, he really didn't need me around except for a few spots lol, but that only happened over one summer when he was in town. Since then I've been flying solo and don't regret it at all, especially seeing how other people train with their partners and how much time they waste..

Quote Originally Posted by Synhax View Post
    I train alone, less distraction and much more focus, no chit chatting between sets, saves a lot more time. The only time I found it beneficial was when I was training with someone much more experienced than me when I was first starting off and I was basically learning from him, he really didn't need me around except for a few spots lol, but that only happened over one summer when he was in town. Since then I've been flying solo and don't regret it at all, especially seeing how other people train with their partners and how much time they waste..
    I get your point, but for a lot of people compacting their gym time isn't a priority, i for example am more than happy to spend 2 or 3 hours in the gym hanging out with the team or sticking around for my partner to finish his workout. When i'm by myself it's still 60-90 minutes, but with anyone else it's usually at least 90. Which doesn't worry me at all, the gym is my 'happy place' so spending more time there is a non issue.

uhit is offline Member
    I don't have a training partner, never did except for my cousin who showed me the basics in my first month.

After that I just did trial and error, did some reading and asked anyone who knew what they were doing in the gym for form tips. It took a while, but 2-3 years later I think I've finally got the basics done. Yes, the basics. There's so much to learn in terms of training that you learn something new everyday.

But I can't deny the fact that having a partner helps get those past failure reps in

Buster Brown is offline Knowledgeable Member
    There are benefits to both and I have trained with a partner and without. Now I just grab a spot when it's absolutely necessary in fact I don't even take a lift off because I don't want to chance a bad one so I only ask certain guys for a spot......I feel that if you are a good worker and strong self motivator you really don't need a partner, if you need that push and your partner is that kinda guy then you will def benefit. With my schedule and training goals it would be hard to find someone to train with that was committed to the same things I am so alone is the way to go for me.

Bio-Active is online now AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by C3RB3RUS
    yea. I've always trained alone, so i want to see what having a partner has to offer. I'm learning new things
    The nice part is having the partner to spot and force reps out. I can accomplish the same with drop sets, super sets and pause reps

NACH3 is offline VET
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bio-Active View Post
    The nice part is having the partner to spot and force reps out. I can accomplish the same with drop sets, super sets and pause reps
    This ^^^^ is the only reason is want a partner(one who understands how hard we need to push each other) otherwise I train alone and have been but the benefit to that is no one but myself can slow me down and that just isn't the case! However I would love to have someone there to push me past failure(forces negs RPs all far beyond true failure(if this was the case I believe anyone would benefit greatly by this as your recruiting the hardest fibers possible(type 2b)...
    C3RB3RUS likes this.

< <Samson> > is offline Neurologically Intact
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by saymass003 View Post
    My husband is my training partner. At first it was hard for me to understand why he was so serious in the gym. Now that I am as serious as he is our training is great! When we enter the gym we are no longer husband and wife but gym partners who push each other and are not afraid to say how we feel.

Me and my wife are almost there - she's just as serious as I am, but sometimes it's a good thing.

Only issue is that when I go super heavy, I still need a bigger guy to spot me in some cases - just in case

But, it's cool - It's like our time away from home together

Blog Entries
    ive had the same training partner for the last 6 yrs and to have someone as like ,minded and dedicated as yourself is priceless...he is stronger than me so by trying to keep pace he is pushing me indirectly...ive worked out by myself plenty and there is no comparison... just knowing someone is counting on you to be there makes me never miss a session...
    Khazima, DCI and NACH3 like this.

saymass003 is offline Female Member
    Quote Originally Posted by < <Samson> > View Post
    Me and my wife are almost there - she's just as serious as I am, but sometimes it's a good thing.

Only issue is that when I go super heavy, I still need a bigger guy to spot me in some cases - just in case

But, it's cool - It's like our time away from home together

I still spot him, even when he goes heavy. The other day he had 505 on the bench and this guy comes running over to spot him. He looks up and says, thanks man but she's got me! Priceless!
    thisAngelBites, NACH3, DCI and 1 others like this.

Synhax is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Khazima View Post
    I get your point, but for a lot of people compacting their gym time isn't a priority, i for example am more than happy to spend 2 or 3 hours in the gym hanging out with the team or sticking around for my partner to finish his workout. When i'm by myself it's still 60-90 minutes, but with anyone else it's usually at least 90. Which doesn't worry me at all, the gym is my 'happy place' so spending more time there is a non issue.
    Ya I see where you're coming from, I just don't have the time for that, cause I still need an hour to go and come back from gym, then shower, cook, eat and you're day is pretty much done at that point. But if you enjoy spending your free time at the gym, then more power to you, I just don't have that much free time these day unfortunately. I like to get in, do my thing and get out as quick as I can. To each his own I guess.
    Khazima likes this.

My session today ended out being the first session I've done completely by myself in quite a while and i loved it. Great change of pace especially since it was a volume day so i wasn't resting for long and was always doing something. Great pump and got a good sweat on, definitely induced a lot of metabolic fatigue when usually this won't occur as much due to chatting between sets etc but i do get more reps/weight out of each set that way.

scotty51312 is offline Transformation Challenge Trainer
    Only had one partner over the years. The guy always matched me pound for pound every set, but was never on time. Sometimes it would be 15-20 minutes after start time I'd get a text saying he couldn't make it. I train alone mostly now since I know I'm always going to be on time!

NACH3 is offline VET
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Khazima View Post
    My session today ended out being the first session I've done completely by myself in quite a while and i loved it. Great change of pace especially since it was a volume day so i wasn't resting for long and was always doing something. Great pump and got a good sweat on, definitely induced a lot of metabolic fatigue when usually this won't occur as much due to chatting between sets etc but i do get more reps/weight out of each set that way.
    This is the one variable that I do love about lifting by myself... No one is there to slow me down and when performing HIT there's nothing worse than someone slowing you down(especially on your drops etc, past failure protocols)!!! Tbh - I don't care about saving myself for anything let alone reps(I feel that's a way of holding back - if not done correctly)... 1-2sets balls out to failure then drops implementing beyond failure protocols... Forces, negs, RPs if no partner) etc
    Last edited by NACH3; 05-10-2015 at 09:59 AM.
    DCI likes this.

Blog Entries
    for the record my training partner and I weren't even friends when we first started training together it started out and still to this day all business...we are there to work and few words are said to others or each other except for motivational shit and such...we have become friends over the years but I still haven't even had a beer with the guy...
    DCI and NACH3 like this.

600@50 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    A great training partner is extremely hard to find. To have a like minded person to push and encourage you on to a higher level is a best case scenario. However those individuals are few and far between. If you find one hang on to them. Training by yourself is the next best thing and much better than a distracting workout partner.

Buster Brown is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 600@50
    A great training partner is extremely hard to find. To have a like minded person to push and encourage you on to a higher level is a best case scenario. However those individuals are few and far between. If you find one hang on to them. Training by yourself is the next best thing and much better than a distracting workout partner.
    Agreed^^^^^^or one that is constantly late!

Quote Originally Posted by saymass003 View Post
    My husband is my training partner. At first it was hard for me to understand why he was so serious in the gym. Now that I am as serious as he is our training is great! When we enter the gym we are no longer husband and wife but gym partners who push each other and are not afraid to say how we feel. I wouldn't trade what we have for anything. When he was away, my friend tried to train with me, but all she did was whine about how heavy the weights were, and I never trained with her again.
    It would be awesome if my wife was like that

Quote Originally Posted by Bio-Active View Post
    agreed

Quote Originally Posted by ghettoboyd View Post
    for the record my training partner and I weren't even friends when we first started training together it started out and still to this day all business...we are there to work and few words are said to others or each other except for motivational shit and such...we have become friends over the years but I still haven't even had a beer with the guy...
    that's F______ cool
    Last edited by C3RB3RUS; 05-11-2015 at 07:05 PM.

LEO78 is offline Associate Member
    training alone. tried to work out with partners but it was difficult for me : you have to fit into someone's schedule and so on.

Today was the exact opposite to yesterday, i needed a training partner for many aspects. I had a tough 3x3 on bench and getting a lift-off and a spot helped, but more importantly he convinced me to grind multiple reps i would've let go in a normal session since i don't like to grind too much. Other than that there was someone to talk to during the long rests and he was also giving me cues i really needed mid-set.

it's my bread an butta right now

Quote Originally Posted by LEO78 View Post
    training alone. tried to work out with partners but it was difficult for me : you have to fit into someone's schedule and so on.
    all about it. we work together so it's easy because we've got the same hours

my partner doesn't like training to failure. he says it's a psychological thing.

going to and beyond failure feels right to me.
    Last edited by C3RB3RUS; 05-12-2015 at 05:58 PM.

Euroholic is offline "ARs Pork Eating Crusader"
    Lone wolf here!!!!!!!!!!!

Drigo is offline Junior Member
    I have always used a partner when working out but unfortunately that partner and myself no longer speak. I now train alone and honestly I prefer to train alone then with a partner NOW that I have experienced it.

Less wait time, More concentration, no pointless convo....

DCI
    DCI is offline Productive Member
    Like gb met my training partner in the gym and we've become great friends out side of it his son has jumped in with us now ans is a beast in the gym he will dominate in a few years the mass and strength he has gained in such a short amount of time has lite a fire up under our asses to keep pushing each other hard

bioengineered is offline New Member
    Most of the time I cannot stand a training partner. It is hard to find someone who is as consistent as me going into the gym. Yeah, I get great lifts when I have one, but nothing is worse than dragging your butt to the gym when you don't feel ready to go, and them not being there because <insert bs reason>.
    C3RB3RUS likes this.

Thread Information