Score is offline Associate Member

Lifting light for 6-8 weeks

I had what's been referred to as a "simple back procedure" Wednesday to shave down a herniated disc, and relieve sciatica. The recovery has been rough so far and I was shocked when the surgeon told me I had to go light for 6-8 weeks, so that hopefully the hole in the disc closes. Otherwise the herniation will come right back.

I've held onto some gains from my recent first cycle and am worried about losing them. Can light weight high reps maintain my mass?

Does the straining process on say rep 50 with a 25# shoulder press equal heavy lifting?

I'm on trt too fyi

Khazima is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I couldn't vouch for 50 reps, but if that's as heavy as you can go then yes it'll help maintain muscle much better than nothing. When he's referring to the type of exercise is he talking about exercises that compress the spine or just straining in general? If it's predominantly spinal compression he's concerned with then there is plenty of work you can do that won't compress the spine, then for things that do (ie shoulder presses) you could stick with that really light range.

600@50 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Score View Post
    The recovery has been rough so far and I was shocked when the surgeon told me I had to go light for 6-8 weeks, so that hopefully the hole in the disc closes. Otherwise the herniation will come right back.
    This is enough reason not to take a chance and re-injure the disc. I would not do any straining and particularly any overhead movements until you have healed. Everything will come back rather quickly once you start back. Take this time to heal.

Quote Originally Posted by 600@50
    This is enough reason not to take a chance and re-injure the disc. I would not do any straining and particularly any overhead movements until you have healed. Everything will come back rather quickly once you start back. Take this time to heal.
    I was afraid you would say that. I know you are right.

Which would make more sense with the goal in mind of 225 at 13%.

Currently 210 at 16%.

Cut to 13% since I've yet to achieve that leanness. Stay on average trt dose.

Or, keep my calories up to preserve as much muscle as possible. Stay around 205? Stay on average trt dose.

With your longer term goal of 225 what is your short term goal? Even if you lose some muscle while rehabbing you'll gain it back when you can hit it hard again. But if you keep the calories up while not training hard you'll probably add some fat. So it's really left up to you. If you're out by the pool or beach and wanting to be all tight then cut some calories. If it doesn't really matter I would probably aim for eating what I want and preparing for the longer term goals I have. Just don't over do anything. Heal up first.

Very good perspective. TY! I guess my new goal is 13% body fat, and to simply not allow that to take me less than 200#. I hope leg curls, calf raises, pull ups, etc will be allowed.

Would it be wise to work out 2-3 weeks once I'm "green lighted" and get those easy gains that will likely come before starting my second cycle?

Or, since I'm doing a long ester cycle of E & Deca would it be okay to start my cycle once I'm back at it? I feel like if I do this, motivation and intensity will be off the charts.

Personally I wouldn't be in a hurry to cycle. I'd concentrate on getting back to where you were pre-injury and test the water along the way to see how your back is holding up. The last thing you want to do is hurt it again because you are cycling and feeling all pumped up and go do something stupid. Then you have to start all over again. But in the end it's your decision.

Quote Originally Posted by 600@50
    Personally I wouldn't be in a hurry to cycle. I'd concentrate on getting back to where you were pre-injury and test the water along the way to see how your back is holding up. The last thing you want to do is hurt it again because you are cycling and feeling all pumped up and go do something stupid. Then you have to start all over again. But in the end it's your decision.
    You're right. Won't be easy but you're right. TY.

Buster Brown is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I would take the advice 600 has given you. Go on maintenance mode and stay there until you are ready. Rushing things will only further delay you from being where you want to be.

Thread Information