Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 600@50

Thread: Winged scapula

pitweiler is offline Member

Winged scapula

Does anyone know of any exercises to help with a winged scapula? I'm looking for some pain relief and I was hoping building the muscle back up in that area would help with the pain

Khazima is offline Knowledgeable Member
    You should consult an allied health professional first and foremost but for the time being you should just do what you can pain free.

I've seen dozens of doctors. One was one of the best in Boston. They've all just referred me to go to a physical therapist. I went to a physical therapist for a little over a month and they just had me doing stretches but nothing to build up the muscle in that area. I stopped going to PT because my insurance didn't want to pay for it and stuck me with the whole bill.

My primary care doc has me on pain meds but I want to try and get off them at some point. I don't want to have to rely on them for the rest of my life. It's been almost a year since my accident which caused me to brake both of my scapulas along with my back and other bones. Besides my back feeling stiff. My scapulas are the only thing that actually hurts

almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    I would reinstate the stretches pronto, and as your pain slowly decreases, assess what you can do with minimal discomfort and work up from there.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

I still do the stretches. I'll put a heat pad on both and then do the stretches ( that's what they had me do in PT) I'm still working out each body part as well. It seems to be going really well. Weight is going up. Just doing what my body can handle so I don't over do it and hurt it. My muscle is coming back as well. I just wasn't sure if anyone knew of any exercises that targeted that particular area.

Also what is kinda strange. The more active I am. The less I notice the aces and pains. Don't know if my mind is just not thinking about it or if it's actually helping. When I have an off day in the gym and just relax at home on the couch. It seems to flare up more.

600@50 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Ok this is a long shot but I remember a guy I worked out with years ago saying he had this condition. He did all kinds of pullovers and straight arm pull downs. It took awhile but the scapula pulled back in and the pain ceased. Not sure if it was his protocol or his doc's. May be worth a try. Best of luck man.

Khazima is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 600@50 View Post
    Ok this is a long shot but I remember a guy I worked out with years ago saying he had this condition. He did all kinds of pullovers and straight arm pull downs. It took awhile but the scapula pulled back in and the pain ceased. Not sure if it was his protocol or his doc's. May be worth a try. Best of luck man.
    I have a winged scapula as well, diagnosed by a lecturer who is a qualified physio and one of the exercises was a straight arm pulldown with a single arm and the key point was to really focus on keeping the scapula back and down, keeping it in place. I haven't consistently done the exercises she showed me so i can't vouch for effectiveness but your mentioning of it just reminded me.

Seems like the purpose of the pullovers and pull downs was to strengthen the serratus muscles which attach to the scapula thereby holding it into the body. Hey if it works or helps it's worth a try anyway.
    NACH3 likes this.

NACH3 is offline VET
    Blog Entries
    I've broken my R scapula which in return pulled out & is winged! But as many have mentioned straight arm lat pull downs are great! As 600 & Khazima said it will take time(mine isn't all the way pulled back but I too need a R shoulder reverse joint replacement which definitely complicates things...

Focus on one arm and straight arm pull downs, and even pull overs if possible, both work the serratus as said which will help strengthen it from w/in at the origin and hopefully pull it back in - just try and focus on keeping your elbows in(closer grip etc)... Best if luck!

Thanks for all of the replies! I'm going to try those exercises. Sometimes my back is stiff and it's uncomfortable at times to lay flat on the bench. Can you effectively do the pullovers on an incline? Maybe work my way down until I'm laying flat?

Try laying crossways on a bench. It'll give you more stretch and will allow you to adjust where it hopefully feels best.

I never thought about dong it that way. I'll give it a shot and see how it feels. I did it on a slight incline (1notch on the bench) and stretched it as far back as I could. It felt really good stretching it like that!

NACH3 is offline VET
    Blog Entries
    And the lat pull downs(straight arm) will help tremendously as well, just make sure your lats and core are engaged and really squeeze at the bottom/end of concentric movement(I'd use a slow tempo too - 5/4/5) or something to that effect

I actually did that today. I didn't go that slow, reg speed and higher rep for low weight. Just to get the feel of it. Next week ill try it slow and to really concentrate contracting that muscle. Thanks for all the help guys! Keep the coming if you can think of anything else!

Thread Information