Thread: rep ranges

mikegilbert1986 is offline Associate Member

rep ranges

I've always used weight to where i fail at around 5-6 reps. I watched a video with jay cuttler the other day where he says he stick to 10-12 reps year round and never steps out of that range. I've read up on it to. what do you guys think or have had best results from. i am cutting right now trained chest today and worked in the 8-12 range felt pretty good got a nice pump will see if I'm sore tomorrow. but for strictly putting on size/bodybuilding is it best. and does progession on strenth/ reps come along during bulking with the 8-12 range.

Bio-Active is online now AR-Hall of Famer
    Taking the muscle to and past failure is what's important to stimulate growth. Changing your workouts and rep ranges to shock the body every 6-8 weeks is good as well

Khazima is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bio-Active View Post
    Taking the muscle to and past failure is what's important to stimulate growth.
    This, strictly for growth what's been shown a lot in the reading I've been doing lately is that the most important thing is to take a muscle near failure for multiple sets per muscle group has shown the best results for muscle growth whether it's 5 reps or 20.

Personally I spend most of my time in the 3-6 range as a powerlifter and the rest of my work anywhere between 8-20 reps depending on the exercise and the goal of the set (heavy/pump/failure/blood flow etc).

Who_Am_I is offline Banned
    I do think the 8-12 rep range (30-60 seconds) is the best range for hypertrophy. 3-6 for strength gains and anything above 12 for muscular endurance.

Buster Brown is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I have found over the past 25 years that I have achieved the most growth when my working sets are in the 6-8 rep range. Anything under that 5-2 is great if you are training as a PL or simply looking to get stronger. You will of course grow from this as well especially if you have a well balanced PL routine that incorporates accessory work in the higher rep range. Whatever you decide to experiment it is important to go to failure....the body is lazy and will only be as strong as it needs to be, if don't push it to failure and beyond it will not grow to handle the load....it's that simple.

marcus300 is offline ~Retired~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~
    I'm all about size now and my body responds best to the 6-12 rep range, usually one working set to failure and beyond. One body part every 7-10 days. I've experimented with many protocols and for me to grow bigger, thicker and freaky its all about failure training and I mean true positive failure and beyond.

mikegilbert1986 is offline Associate Member
    ive ben trying to out this week pretty much using weight that i fail between 8-12 reps. all my body parts have gotten sore as ever feels great nice pump going to stick to this for now.. cant wait to get back on a bulk to see some growth.

Mr.Anderson is offline Associate Member
    one guy said - there is no training for bulking and for cutting, a lot depends on your diet. this makes sense to me.

Pale1 is offline Junior Member
    I always start out with multiple sub failure sets with one of the big compounds & use that as the base for my training strategy. The reps vary anywhere from 10 to 3 (the higher the reps, the fewer sets. The lower the reps, the more sets). After I get that lift out of the way, I'll do some higher rep work using different exercises with short rest periods between sets & on the last set I'll sometimes finish it up with some partials & negatives to really hit every muscle fiber. I also vary the intensity from week to week & absolutely de-load after every 3 weeks of hard training.

Thread Information